Walkthrough Small Talk, thread #2

pending walkthroughs/walkthrough small talk

Moderators: Tinka, Phil

TombTitan

Re: Walkthrough Small Talk, thread #2

Post by TombTitan » 27 Oct 2019 08:43

Addendum to Gerty's walkthrough for "Sacred Temple of Thebes" by Martin Penn that both Gerty and Mulf overlooked:

Secret #3 is at the bottom of the dark pit in the room where you shoot the vases with the lasersight. The north wall is climbable and you backflip onto the floating blue ledge when going back up. The secret consists of flares, normal grenade ammo and a large medipack.

Secret #4 is in an underwater corridor in the left pool as you enter the final outdoor area where the canopic jar is used. The secret consists of wideshot shotgun ammo, poison arrows and revolver ammo.

I never found a crossbow or grenade gun. The game looks like it was never finished, but released as is. In 2001 when the level was released and players installed the game using the level editor files to build a TR4 from the karnak.TOM file, the game would continue in Cleopatra's Palace after going down the ramp leaving the canopic jar area of the Sacred Temple of Thebes. The inventory would be retained from the Thebes level as well as the count of 4 secrets in the statistics.

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 27 Oct 2019 10:40

Thanks, made note of it and I will replay and thus rewrite the walkthrough :)
Oops, I did it again... Image

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 01 Nov 2019 16:21

Since we're starting to get unsolicited reviews of our walkthroughs, this is as good a time as any to review the history of this department.

When I stumbled across this site back in 2002, I was still a fledgling player and required lots of help navigating my way through custom levels. I saw that a small number of builders provided written walkthroughs with their level downloads, and I naturally chose those builders' levels to play before any others. Most of these walks were outlines only, enabling the player to get through the level without documenting all the pickups (and in many cases the secrets).

Early on I befriended Justin, who was then a lad of 16, and he graciously provided notes on his early levels, which I used to write more detailed walkthroughs. My writing style has changed somewhat since then, and I frequently cringe when I go back and read some of those earliest walks. Anyway, Michael noticed what I was doing, suggested a walkthrough subforum and asked if I would be willing to run it. The idea appealed to me, so here I am more than 17 years later.

Obviously, with an inventory of hundreds (now thousands) of custom levels, the job was much too formidable for me to handle alone, so I began recruiting interested writers. There have been too many volunteers over the years to mention by name, but those who have persevered with me from the beginning until now are Dutchy/Gerty and José. But in terms of sheer numbers, no one has done more to beef up our stockpile than DJ Full, who several years ago undertook to play and write walks for the hundreds of lower-rated levels in order to insure that trle.net had 100% coverage. With his herculean effort we've maintained that record ever since. During recent years we've also been blessed by several gifted players who create and post video walks for the new releases, notably DoggettTV.

The walkthroughs themselves have also evolved over the years. From rough outlines they've become polished products with fuller documentation and added color coding. Dutchy and José include subheadings denoting the various locales and tasks within a level for ease of reading, and Dutchy often provides text for the oral dialogue and onscreen messages as well, something I've never found necessary. Each to his own. Even so, the written walks are not now and have never been intended as treatises explaining what every switch and trigger accomplishes and letting the player know where every last nonessential pickup is located. They're provided as guides to get the player through the level and in the process pointing out the various potential sticky spots. They're labors of love, and I suspect the other writers share my conviction that we don't write for praise or any positive feedback, but because we enjoy doing it for its own sake and for whatever assistance our efforts may provide to other players.

All of this having been said, this thread is intended in part to allow players to point out errors or omissions in the posted walks, and nothing above should be construed as discouraging this practice.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 02 Nov 2019 02:18

Interesting read Phil.

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 04 Nov 2019 11:14

Phil wrote:
01 Nov 2019 16:21
Dutchy often provides text for the oral dialogue and onscreen messages as well, something I've never found necessary.
Remember not every reader/player can understand English that well, certainly in game mode where the sound isn't always that clear (and I'm getting deaf). Often these dialogues contain info on the gameplay and storyline. I'll try and cut down on the onscreen messages, but I also learned that sometimes players on older PC's have trouble seeing them or reading Diaries....
Just trying to be of service to all. And thanks for the kind words Phil, you're doing a hell of a hobby job here :2thumbsup:
The Two most important days of your Life; the one where you are born and the one when you find out why (Twain)

Dutchy's (D&G) Walkthroughs

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 04 Nov 2019 19:56

Well...I for one have no idea how you guys do the walkies. It just amazes me to no end. :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: I could never do one even if it was a 10 minute level. Hats off to all of you!!!!!!!!!!
I Hate Timed Shite!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 04 Nov 2019 19:58

Ditto! :2thumbsup:
No one but ourselves can free our minds...

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 04 Nov 2019 21:05

Thanks, it started because I was lost every time, so I started writing things down to remember what was already done and figuring out how it all worked....
The Two most important days of your Life; the one where you are born and the one when you find out why (Twain)

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 05 Nov 2019 00:22

And as good time as any to thank everyone involved for the much appreciated effort. :2thumbsup:

Unrelated note, I ended up having to make a map for Dangerous Antarctic Circle #2098 (a timed run in a very dark maze, such fun!). Decided to add some polish and share it with the community, please attach it to Harry's walkthrough whenever possible. Cheers. :)

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 05 Nov 2019 20:48

Was still running around in the dark there :banghead:
thanks, now I can finally get out...

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 06 Nov 2019 20:31

What's the guideline when it comes to replacing walkthroughs?

I'm asking specifically because I find it difficult to take a walkthrough seriously when its writer recommends cheating for medipacks in order to make it across a spike trap that caused only negligible health loss when I did it myself, as Litepulsar does in the walkthrough for Thierry Stoorne: Setback 1/2. I've since been alerted to the fact that Dutchy has written a walkthrough of his own, which I find much more congenial (even if it may not have all the secrets).

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 06 Nov 2019 21:02

You are free to use that one, maybe add the secrets. Look up what file number the walk has on trle.net and give the new one the same number and save in htm (white background). Then send the revlsed walk to Michael though mail, so he only needs to upload it.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 06 Nov 2019 23:55

Mulf wrote:
06 Nov 2019 20:31
I find it difficult to take a walkthrough seriously when its writer recommends cheating...
I confess to my everlasting shame that I did the same thing in some of my earliest walks (mainly for Justin's levels, but José later came to my rescue in each case by documenting the legal paths in lieu of my lazy short cuts). Never again will I resort to such sacrilege.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 07 Nov 2019 00:10

Mulf wrote:
06 Nov 2019 20:31
What's the guideline when it comes to replacing walkthroughs?
There are no real guidelines. Many of the earliest posted walkthroughs (including mine) are utterly crude when compared with current offerings. Over the years I've supplemented (as opposed to replacing) existing walks from time to time with more complete and easier-to-follow written guides, whether written by me or by someone else. In each case I've simply added the new submission to the existing one, to give the player the option of which one to use. I'm not going to name names, but many of the existing walks from years long past are obscure and rather difficult to follow. With this in mind, let's consider this to be a new, official guideline: If any player should find the existing walk for a level to be inadequate for any reason, you have full license to (1) modify the existing walk to correct its deficiencies or (2) write a new walk of your own to append to the existing walk. Just send your work product to me, and I'll do the rest.

DoggettTV

Post by DoggettTV » 07 Nov 2019 08:36

Phil wrote:
01 Nov 2019 16:21
Since we're starting to get unsolicited reviews of our walkthroughs, this is as good a time as any to review the history of this department.

When I stumbled across this site back in 2002, I was still a fledgling player and required lots of help navigating my way through custom levels. I saw that a small number of builders provided written walkthroughs with their level downloads, and I naturally chose those builders' levels to play before any others. Most of these walks were outlines only, enabling the player to get through the level without documenting all the pickups (and in many cases the secrets).

Early on I befriended Justin, who was then a lad of 16, and he graciously provided notes on his early levels, which I used to write more detailed walkthroughs. My writing style has changed somewhat since then, and I frequently cringe when I go back and read some of those earliest walks. Anyway, Michael noticed what I was doing, suggested a walkthrough subforum and asked if I would be willing to run it. The idea appealed to me, so here I am more than 17 years later.

Obviously, with an inventory of hundreds (now thousands) of custom levels, the job was much too formidable for me to handle alone, so I began recruiting interested writers. There have been too many volunteers over the years to mention by name, but those who have persevered with me from the beginning until now are Dutchy/Gerty and José. But in terms of sheer numbers, no one has done more to beef up our stockpile than DJ Full, who several years ago undertook to play and write walks for the hundreds of lower-rated levels in order to insure that trle.net had 100% coverage. With his herculean effort we've maintained that record ever since. During recent years we've also been blessed by several gifted players who create and post video walks for the new releases, notably DoggettTV.

The walkthroughs themselves have also evolved over the years. From rough outlines they've become polished products with fuller documentation and added color coding. Dutchy and José include subheadings denoting the various locales and tasks within a level for ease of reading, and Dutchy often provides text for the oral dialogue and onscreen messages as well, something I've never found necessary. Each to his own. Even so, the written walks are not now and have never been intended as treatises explaining what every switch and trigger accomplishes and letting the player know where every last nonessential pickup is located. They're provided as guides to get the player through the level and in the process pointing out the various potential sticky spots. They're labors of love, and I suspect the other writers share my conviction that we don't write for praise or any positive feedback, but because we enjoy doing it for its own sake and for whatever assistance our efforts may provide to other players.

All of this having been said, this thread is intended in part to allow players to point out errors or omissions in the posted walks, and nothing above should be construed as discouraging this practice.
this words thouch me <3 you are awesome Phil <3