Moderators: Tinka, Phil

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Walkthrough Small Talk, thread #2

Post by vimmers » 05 Feb 2018 17:35

dunno but some games cause that behavior
i don't have trouble with it
try to start a new game and if u can go the inventory u should be able to load your saves

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 05 Feb 2018 17:59

That doesn’t work either; still crashing.

Ah well, I guess mysterious forces have decided to make me play the ‘revamped version’ instead.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 05 Feb 2018 18:19

ohh i thought u talked about the revamped version
i will test the other tomorrow

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 06 Feb 2018 08:53

I have removed the old version now. If the walk needs updating then whoever plays through it now is welcome to propose the necessary updates/corrections.

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 06 Feb 2018 09:44

It’s a pity though: from what I’ve seen, I think I would have liked the original version better (obscure egg puzzle notwithstanding).

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 06 Feb 2018 21:16

TombRaider Resurrection 2 - The Palace of Menes by WebKnight:

Found a secret not documented in the walkthrough:
Go up the steps and right to step on the small ledge on the East wall, jump to grab and swing across. Crawl into the crawl space and drop down to pick up the Crowbar. Exit the room, watching for the fires, at the other end, the door opens as you approach, go left and back up the stairs again.
Before you go up the stairs (or any time you are in that main demigod room), look for a dark passage between the stairs and the ledge. Light a flare and you'll see a crawlspace leading to Secret 2, a Small Medipack. There's a couple of secrets documented as regular items in the walkthrough, but I thought I'd mention this one as it wasn't present in the walkthrough. :)

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 09 Feb 2018 14:41

MichaelP wrote:
06 Feb 2018 08:53
I have removed the old version now. If the walk needs updating then whoever plays through it now is welcome to propose the necessary updates/corrections.
Started the walk for the revised version till I got the crashes... That's it for me... :annoyed: Good luck

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 09 Feb 2018 14:43

Perhaps we need to re-evaluate whether this level belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Edit: I've started playing, and there are major changes right off the bat. However, I'm halfway through and I've experienced no crashes to this point (I'm using Windows XP).

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 10 Feb 2018 13:50

Then you revise the walk... :D

Did update the walk for Q-Tech Base' I'll send it to MP

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 10 Feb 2018 19:58

Dutchy wrote:
10 Feb 2018 13:50
Did update the walk for Q-Tech Base' I'll send it to MP
And MP has already updated the file on the server. :2thumbsup:

(I think Mulf didn't spot my silly note to him in the video I posted, but it'll be gone in a day or so.)

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 10 Feb 2018 21:58

Dutchy wrote:
10 Feb 2018 13:50
Then you revise the walk... :D
Now in process, sir. You'll like my changes.

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 10 Feb 2018 23:16

Regarding TR Expedition by LaraCablara:
I feel that this situation is a double standard. Clearly LaraCablara stated in the readme file that the level was different and the walkthrough would not work anymore. The original version is in the Hall of Fame. The Training by DNF Productions has both the original and the revised versions in the level listing and the original is in the HOF. I don't know why MP originally treated the revised version as a typical "bug-fix" version, but because of the 7 year interval between both versions, the revised version by LaraCablara should have been considered a new level as was Channuka by Masha and DNF's level.

If only LaraCablara's new version is retained, then it puts into question both the validity of the HOF and the review system. If LaraCablara is dropped from the HOF because of crashes or such as some have suggested, then Titak's Mist of Avalon should be dropped too because of recent crashes on some computers due to changes in the windows operating systems by Microsoft---something that is beyond the control of the level builders.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 10 Feb 2018 23:34

Valid points. Technically, the only version now available for download has not earned Hall of Fame credentials in its own right. One might legitimately ask whether the process should begin anew. But then, the revised version has never been reviewed after more than two years, which doesn't bode well for a repeat performance. Given Mulf's recent experience with the earlier version (savegames don't work), and Dutchy's crashing problems with the revised version, poor LaraCablara may find himself in a classic Catch-22 situation.

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 10 Feb 2018 23:57

MP should create a separate listing for the old version---he should still have it since he only deleted it in the last couple of days. This will prevent a double standard and unfair actions against LaraCablara.

Regarding Mulf's problem---I don't know what operating system he is using. I have no trouble playing the 2009 version this week on Windows 7 x64. If the problem is with windows 10, then similar situations will occur with hundreds of levels because WIn10 may not be completely reliable for playing TR customlevels.

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 11 Feb 2018 02:09

TombTitan wrote:
10 Feb 2018 23:57
Regarding Mulf's problem---I don't know what operating system he is using. I have no trouble playing the 2009 version this week on Windows 7 x64.
Your system is my system. I don’t think the OS is the cause of the problem, otherwise it would be much more widespread with older custom levels. That problem, incidentally, being not playing the level (it ran just fine), but crashes when loading any savegame after exiting and later restarting the game. I don’t actually remember any other level that caused me that particular kind of trouble.

I had no crashes with the revised version, neither on loading nor during the game.
Treeble wrote:
10 Feb 2018 19:58
(I think Mulf didn't spot my silly note to him in the video I posted, but it'll be gone in a day or so.)
I didn’t, but I’ve seen it now. :) You were right of course in that it wasn’t an illegal move as such, but I still hold that it was a glitch. Normally, a 2-click ledge sends a clear message: you can’t get out of water at this spot—and that was also the builder’s intention, otherwise why bother with the crane platform at all? He obviously didn’t know anymore than I did that the engine apparently recalculates the overall height of the block if it has a downward slant in the opposite direction (!), and comes up with something < 2 clicks. Vinci makes intentional use of that glitch in his Bounce Pad Demo, but that’s what you would expect from a Japanese builder who was a co-author of CIL. :)
Anyway, lesson learned, so thanks for that. :D It’s a thing a builder should be aware of.