Chatterbox

Re: Walkthrough Small Talk, thread #2

Post by José » 10 Jan 2018 09:19

Definitely no. :-o
Not worth to play. :lol:

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 21 Jan 2018 04:55

Currently replaying Tomb Raider Resurrection 3: Burial Chambers. The walkthrough has an endnote that says
I’ve read in help threads that there was a golden star. But after playing this level 3 times, I never found it, never used my crowbar and never needed a star.
I’ve just found that star. It is indeed never needed; it is a secret pickup (and the only opportunity for using the crowbar in the entire level). It is reachable through the large rectangular hole in the floor of the main hall which is sometimes covered by a grate, sometimes not. I’ve checked it about half a dozen times when trying to find out which door opened now.
There is an alcove in there, but there doesn’t seem to be anything to do. However, the back wall of that alcove opens up once the cave area where you find the crowbar (and which leads to the slicer-dicer) becomes accessible; turns out there is a tunnel behind it which ultimately leads to a small room in which you can pry the star off the wall.
NB. I don’t know what exactly it is that makes the alcove open up. Might be the same thing that opens the gate leading to the cave, might be a pickup trigger for the crowbar, might be something else.

Incidentally, the walkthrough makes it sound like the timed run that follows the slicer-dicer sequence is a nasty piece of work, but it’s actually very simple. Position Lara at the right edge of the trigger tile, then sprint straight ahead (there is no need to observe the pauses of the flame emitters) and release the dash key just before you reach the last of the flames in front of you. You have then ample time to leisurely jog towards the left inbetween the remaining flames and through the gate before it closes.

And why is the second part referred to as “Hall of Demetrius”? That makes no sense whatsoever and appears nowhere in the release. In-game, its title is “Die innere Kammer” (“The Inner Chamber”).

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 22 Jan 2018 00:16

#623 — Q-Tech Base, by Pregusia

I've stumbled upon a level design flaw in which I'm permanently stuck so I'll have to start over as skimming the wakthrough wasn't enough to pinpoint where I missed the door trigger (plus I go through all the slots too quickly, so even though I was 50 minutes in, my earliest save was still about 40 minutes in and maybe not early enough). I can make two observations however:
The Missing Wire.
(...)
Get back to the Loading dock and climb into the alcove in the grey wall at the pool and do a runjmp/grab to the plate in the crane (I didn’t manage this jmp, so used DOZY to get over there.) Well… you sneaky Pregusia, seems you don’t have to do that jmp, the other side of the pool looks too high to climb. But it isn’t, just swim over and climb out!!!!
I didn't try climbing out on the other side (which should indeed be possible as it is a 2-click slope), but the running jump is possible. It's a (nowadays fairly standard) running jump with late grab.

And also addressing the bottomline comment regarding the lasersight:
The Warehouse.
(...)
Drop from the end of this duct to a walkway over Lava, go down the walkway and into the Ctrl room R at the closed door to get some Ammo, (...)
This is where I found myself stuck as the yellow door isn't open and it's a long drop to the lasersight so no way back up. I was so desperate trying to find a purpose for that lasersight hoping it would be the way forward but anyway: in this room with the ammo pickup, you can shoot a hanging green monitor on the far corner, it opens a side room through which you can pull around a few blocks to reveal a lever, drain a tunnel and finally crawl through for a secret.

Tomorrow I'll start anew. Not too happy about it but eh, it'd been a while since I last found myself in such a predicament.

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 22 Jan 2018 00:55

Treeble wrote:
22 Jan 2018 00:16
I didn't try climbing out on the other side (which should indeed be [im]possible as it is a 2-click slope [read: ledge]), but the running jump is possible. It's a (nowadays fairly standard) running jump with late grab.
Having recently played the level, I can confirm this. The first time I made the jump, I had no problem whatsoever and thought nothing of it. It was when I later had to do it again (the level is all about backtracking) that I had a slight problem with it for whatever reason, but I’d never have considered using DOZY there, or glitching my way up a 2-click ledge.

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 23 Jan 2018 00:01

Regarding the crane jump/skip, you're right. Climbing the sloped ledge :wink: is a glitch in the engine, but you only ever need to make the jump one time if you follow the walkthrough (otherwise yes you run around like a headless chicken in the dark for too long and may find yourself doing it over and over again). Curiously enough we might actually be sequence breaking, or perhaps just finding evidence of lack of betatesting: there is a chip card, stashed in a secret room later on, that will move the crane around to a more adequate position...

By following the walkthrough from beginning to end, I've spotted a few more things, including another secret although the secrets are not properly coded so only one will ever register. All suggested revision material is in this temp video so hopefully nobody will need to replay the level to make necessary amends: https://youtu.be/FFVp5hadtmI

Also, the Uzis can be collected in the very same room as the Desert Eagle, in the first weapon storage room.

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 23 Jan 2018 09:33

You could also pick the walkthrough from the site and revise it :lol:
These were my rookie TR years, just started with walkthroughs
Maybe one day I will replay this level and revise the old walk, I'm so much wiser now.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 23 Jan 2018 13:31

Whenever I need a stiff dose of humility, I go back and read one of my early walkthroughs.

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 23 Jan 2018 16:02

The early works of .... Quite the novels we wrote in those days :lol:

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 23 Jan 2018 17:03

Dutchy wrote:
23 Jan 2018 09:33
I'm so much wiser now.
says who :?:

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 23 Jan 2018 18:18

3 people... Me, myself and I :beatnik:

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 05 Feb 2018 11:26

http://www.trle.net/walk/2002.htm
Swim to a deep part in the bottom in the middle of the room, there are those floating broken spears and on the bottom near by is the Dart
it's not a dart it's a big medicpack
Turn left from (E) coming there to face the wall with the big door. If you look straight down you can see a triangular opening in the wall below, swim down and in, then up into that room to throw the underwater lever. The door opens up in the opposite wall of the large area, so swim out of the triangular opening and straight to the opposite wall (W), up a bit and to the right is the opened door. A Snake might pester you, just swim past it and into the doors, swim up and climb up onto the slanted block, back flip onto the ledge.
this is also wrong
underwater lever opens the big doors in North wall where there are a big spider there has the Dart
i think D&G Productions. should play it again :D :lol:

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 05 Feb 2018 12:08

Vimmers, I was also caught out by this. I think you might be playing the revised version as there was no dart in the version I last played either. In fact I think a lot of the gameplay has changed from the original as some things didn't add up the last time.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 05 Feb 2018 15:41

ok didn't see that
but then there should be another walk for this version

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 05 Feb 2018 15:49

The most recent review was posted before the "revamped version" was released. If there are significant changes, I suggest that the latter version be hosted separately so that players won't be confused by the existing reviews or stuck thread. It would also give the community a new level to play during a release drought, and it would give our walkthrough writers something to fight over (although Dutchy should certainly have first-pick rights if he wants them).

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 05 Feb 2018 18:07

All this talk about Tomb Raider Expedition reminded me that I never finished that level. I downloaded the ‘original version’ and started playing it first in order to see how it compares to the ‘revamped’ one.
30 saves on, I exited the game, and when I returned, none of my savegames works anymore. I get thrown to desktop each time I load one. I suppose that didn’t happen when the game was originally released. Why does it happen now?