Re: Walkthrough Small Talk

Post by Soul » 25 Jan 2011 18:34

That's truly fantastic! You all did a great job. :2thumbsup:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 25 Jan 2011 18:57

Yeeeeap. But actually, 2 of 3 levels I've played recently needed a crucial WT update. In one case at about 3/4 of the description were missing - just because the WT author took some false assumptions and never checked them ingame. Due to this epic fail, some players were skipping 3/4 of the level... FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS.

So now, when it seems it is all over... it appears there might be dozens of seriously messed up WTs, hidden somewhere, invisible to our sight, like dark matter, undetectable by emitted or scattered electromagnetic radiation in space (source: wikipedia), and we won't know where they are until we play their corresponding levels... And if it is true, they all need a serious update. I have a really baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad feeling about this...
_manarch2 wrote:It last longer than on trle. I made a screen of it :D
EDIT: A screenshot? I have an idea....... (opens the Trophy thread)
Heheheheh....

MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

manarch2
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by manarch2 » 26 Jan 2011 17:37

Good idea! :D

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 06 Feb 2011 10:38

in http://www.trle.net/walk/1221.htm
secret 18
Secret #18, an abundance of Supplies, no Glasses? You’ll going to need those Supplies later on

there are glasses

manarch2
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by manarch2 » 07 Feb 2011 18:53

DJ Full wrote:Yeeeeap. But actually, 2 of 3 levels I've played recently needed a crucial WT update.
Which one do you mean? The Experiment, for example? This one clearly needs one...

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 07 Feb 2011 20:22

I say go for it. A number of the walkthroughs posted here during the early days are basically outlines, and I have trouble following them when I play the levels. There's no reason why a more detailed walkthrough shouldn't be written in such cases, to be posted along with the earlier one. I've done this many times myself, in fact.

rtrger

Post by rtrger » 07 Feb 2011 20:39

I like the idea. In my opinion a walkthrough is way better with typography, highlighting, and such things. Some walkthroughs have missing pickups too.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 08 Feb 2011 21:54

Then, just give us a list of WTs that need an update.

EDIT: Phil, maybe it's a good idea to create a separate WT update wishlist thread?

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 09 Feb 2011 00:02

Too cumbersome, in my opinion. We don't know which walkthroughs are good candidates for a rewriting job until someone plays the level and finds the existing walkthrough wanting. When that happens -- and I anticipate that these will be rare occasions -- the player can report the need here and one of us can volunteer to supplement the walk. Furthermore, it seems to me insulting to our walkthrough writers, regardless of the merits of their work, to leave any impression that we're declaring open season on their work product, and that's what the suggested thread would tend to do.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 09 Feb 2011 13:05

OK. But if anyone finds any of my walkthrus useless, I won't feel insulted at all. And will always accept any updates.

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by rjb » 09 Feb 2011 14:42

Ditto :2thumbsup:. To quote Daffy (I think it is), I find trouble in following my own earliest walkthroughs myself :rolleyes5:. I made a number of assumptions that people would find English abbreviations easy to follow that I now realise was not sensible.

Manymee has kindly :hug: rewritten some of these but I, too, would not feel offended if my earliest, hardest-to-follow WTs were (even substantially) re-written. (I think I tended to record all pick-ups and certainly all secrets, so that, at least, should be helpful as a reference point.)
"Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I shall give you rest."[Matt 11:28]

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 09 Feb 2011 16:32

That's mighty gracious of you, Robin. Hopefully others who may find their early walkthroughs "supplemented" will have the same attitude.

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by rjb » 09 Feb 2011 17:03

Well, :thanks:, young Phil, but of course I can shift the blame, if any, in your direction :D. At the time (when some of us were younger and more sprightly :balloon:) , I'd written a few highly-abbreviated note-type walkthroughs for my own interest (if I ever came back to replay a game, eg), and I believe there were relatively few trle.net walkthroughs at the time. When I mentioned it to you, you felt that it would be good to send whatever I had, as "anything was better than nothing," to quote your good self - unless I'm mis-remembering, which is also possible :hat2:.

I confess that the times (few-ish, but just once is disconcerting) when someone has moaned that one of my early walkthroughs was impossible to follow, when it was never intended to be a work of art, didn't endear that person to me. (For someone to complain, as more than one has done in the past, that one's - admittedly not great or stylish - attempts at a walkthrough have spoiled their game experience, implying that it is you that was at fault for not having spent more of your free, unpaid time getting it right, just for their pleasure to be enhanced, seems a touch unreasonable - but some people, as we've discovered with reviewers, find it easy to be negatively unhelpful, while often being inconsiderate and rude at the same time, often with the pretence that this is `witty` behaviour. It's much harder and requires more effort to be constructive, kind and thoughtful, of course, as I'm sure you've discovered.)

I'm glad that now that there is such comprehensive cover overall, that some of these `weaker` WTs can be addressed and/or revamped, for the benefit of all :2thumbsup:.
"Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I shall give you rest."[Matt 11:28]

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 09 Mar 2011 19:06

I've just posted a walkthrough for a level that regrettably isn't listed at trle.net. Does this mean that our record is now 100.1%?