Favorite Tomb Raider era?

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

Luisa

Favorite Tomb Raider era?

Post by Luisa » 04 Apr 2016 19:48

So, we have the classic Tomb Raider games + AOD from Core Design, the Legend/Anniversary/Underworld trilogy from Crystal Dynamics and now the recent 2013 reboot.

Which era of the Tomb Raider franchise do you love the most and why? :D
"I'm a dangerous girl, and right now I'm losing patience."

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Favorite Tomb Raider era?

Post by Ryan » 04 Apr 2016 20:38

Personally, I prefer the classic era because the controls are simpler and the locations were more varied, but for high quality graphics the Crystal Dynamics versions would be better I suppose. :)

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 05 Apr 2016 00:09

For me it is all about gameplay and nothing beats tr 1-5. :)
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 05 Apr 2016 00:53

A big factor for me is the exploration, and both the classic games and the newest series are great with that. They both contain secret areas of various sizes and reward the player in some way for the extra effort, as well as sprawling areas that are usually fun to get lost in as well as those "how do I get up there?" moments. I think I will always be biased more toward the classic games though, probably because they have more puzzles and I prefer the lighter mood compared to the new games.

The legend trilogy is too short and linear for my tastes, so it falls below the others for me. I remember when someone from the team proudly said that they were making "rollercoaster rides"...which is the exact opposite of what TR means to me! The series was good for providing a lot of action, but that was its only real strength aside from some nice puzzles here and there.

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 05 Apr 2016 18:49

QRS wrote:For me it is all about gameplay and nothing beats tr 1-5. :)
I couldn't agree more :D
Oops, I did it again... Image

Luisa

Post by Luisa » 05 Apr 2016 21:00

I'll always hold the classics close to my heart for having introduced me to the Tomb Raider franchise. The L/A/U trilogy is okay, I guess, not as fun as the classics but I liked the storyline.

Now, I don't feel like playing the reboot at all. This new Lara doesn't feel like the Lara I grew up loving.
"I'm a dangerous girl, and right now I'm losing patience."

larabiker301

Post by larabiker301 » 09 Apr 2016 08:25

While I'll admit the new Lara doesn't exactly encompass what the previous Laras have been known and loved for, I still think that the reboot was a nice little
change to the franchise. Though I also stand by the phrase "if it 'aint broke, don't fix it." My favorite era would have to be the Core Design era. I love the classics (who doesn't) but
you could tell that they were juggling the idea and concept of Lara around during this time and that actually was my favorite thing about the era. At first, you're thrown into this lost world

with an ancient civilization to explore while combating thought to be extinct dinosaurs. Then years later and you find yourselves at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean exploring an sunken ship.
Next, you're exploring the rooftops of London while the word 'Tomb Raider' is becoming a more flexible term. They did a good job at getting back to the roots of the word 'Tomb Raider' in Tomb
Raider 4 and I would've been okay had they decided on their decision to kill Lara off. It would've made the story more depressing but I thought the angst would've been a nice added touch to the
already innovative story.
The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
-Paul Valery

justin

Post by justin » 12 Apr 2016 23:22

Yeah I'm very easily on the classic side. Tr1 and 3 are still my favorites. That said, I really enjoyed everything outside of AoD, and Legend was just okay.

I'm a big fan of the fact that the reboot is grabbing a lot of non-TR fans to keep the franchise strong :)
Dark Skies loom...