Why Lara likes to carry 6 weapons in her bottomless backpack

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

larabiker301

Why Lara likes to carry 6 weapons in her bottomless backpack

Post by larabiker301 » 15 Jul 2012 15:58

I've always wondered why Lara needed 4+ guns in all her guns, (except TR1) because her pistols should be enough right? I mean TR4; why the uzis when the default damage for them is 1 while her pistol's default damage is 1 as well. I can see the shotgun, crossbow, grenade launcher, revolver but, any reason for the uzis?
In fact, i've done soem reseach and those aren't even uzis, their're mac11 because Lara wouldn't be able to run and shoot with real uzis :beatnik: . It'd be a struggle. :?
The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
-Paul Valery

VoodooChild97

Re: Why Lara likes to carry 6 weapons in her bottomless back

Post by VoodooChild97 » 03 Oct 2012 13:12

MAC-11s, thanks for the tip. :smoking:

The designers were unwilling to bog down Lara's attractive petite figure with the equipment necessary to carry three sets of dual handguns, artifacts, first aid, and a shotgun (TR1), which would be impractical for spelunking anyway, yet were unwilling to compromise on just a little firepower. I guess Tomb Raider is all about having your cake and eating it too, right? Yeah!

Getting back to the uzis, I've been wondering lately if the makers of TR4 did not intend to have Lara fire a single genuine uzi, since there is only one gun depicted in the inventory, and it's called "uzi" rather than "uzis." It's also clearly an uzi, whereas the actual guns she fires in the animation are clearly MAC-11s, along with the "uzis" from TR1-3. My theory being they just never got around to it, like several new animations which didn't come into fruition until TRC.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 07 Oct 2012 16:27

Having the other guns around is a good incentive for the players to explore the areas more, so that they can be rewarded with more ammo. :) It also makes some encounters a lot less strenuous, especially in TR4 with some enemires taking hundreds of pistol bullets before they finally decide to kick the bucket.

TR5 is where the different weapons become more important. The shotgun is great against the giant statues, while the desert eagle helps snipe out enemies sniping at you from unreachable areas. Too bad your weapons + ammo are taken away so very many times during the game (even if it might make sense story wise), so incentive to gather and conserve ammo is not there as much.

I agree that the uzis are not the most useful weapon, but something about that rapid fire just makes it fun nonetheless. The rocket launcher is probably my favorite weapon. :D

larabiker301

Post by larabiker301 » 21 Oct 2012 05:39

You're totally right about Lara losing her weapons most of the time. Oh, Let's go down memory lane! :beatnik:
Tomb Raider I: Lara get's her guns taken by Larson, Kid, & Larson.
Tomb Raider II: Get's knocked out by a goon in a airplane thus being helplessly captured by the gang. (You'd think after everything Lara's been through she'd hear somebody sneaking up on her)
Tomb Raider III: Trying to be like 007; driving over a electric fence only to end up captured and sent to a prison.
Tomb Raider IV: Doesn't count as actually losing her weapons.
Tomb Raider V: Being captured in Russia. Since the game was flashbacks, her weapons were reset every time an area was completed; a little annoying.
Tomb Raider VI: Kurtis, for some reason, apprehends her while 20+ mercenaries are after them. (Smart idea :-P )
Tomb Raider VII: Nothing this time!
Tomb Raider VIII: Nothing this time either!
Tomb Raider IX: Hopefully she won't although the teaser trailers aren't looking to swell.
-Paul Valery

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 22 Oct 2012 01:00

I like the Uzis (or whatever counts for an uzi in TR games - can't say I know my guns well :| ) - admittedly they're just speedier pistols in TR context, but they do work better against some enemies (TR4's tinmen particularly). I always thought the magnums and automatic pistols were only marginally better than the regular pistols, thus more deserving of "the most useless gun" award.

TR4 did indeed never have an item/gun-strip - which was refreshing enough when I played the game and cynically expected every other following level to introduce it as a kind-of mandatory TR cliche :laugh:

larabiker301

Post by larabiker301 » 22 Oct 2012 22:01

Here's my opinion: Maybe as a counter for the pistols being so slow, they decided to give lara uzis for those epic moments where a fast monster is coming at you. In a way, the pistols can actually do more damage than a shotgun or revolver. They give less damage output but a positive con is that they're able to give that 1% damage faster than any other weapon. :blush:
Plus their epic
TR1 TR4
Image Image
-Paul Valery