A message from Karl Stewart – Global Brand Director

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

A message from Karl Stewart – Global Brand Director

Post by vimmers » 24 Jan 2011 03:48

A message from Karl Stewart – Global Brand Director – Crystal Dynamics/Tomb Raider
source http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=116004

Here is some exclusive news! It comes from Karl Stewart, the Global Brand Director of Tomb Raider. He's based at Crystal Dynamics over in California. As we're embracing a cool and exciting future for Lara, he's got some cool things to say which bode really well for real hardcore TR fans.... so, with,out further a-do take it away Karl....

Quote:

A message from Karl Stewart – Global Brand Director – Crystal Dynamics/Tomb Raider

Hello Tomb Raider fans the world over.

I wanted to take a moment of your time and give you all what is hopefully the first of many many updates from myself and the brand team on what’s happening here at Crystal Dynamics and within the Tomb Raider franchise. In addition, I also want to tell you about some exciting opportunities to help us create a brand new Tomb Raider Community/Forum.

So, let us begin.

Unless you’ve all been hibernating for the past 6 weeks you’re no doubt aware that early last December we officially announced our next big Tomb Raider game, simply entitled ‘Tomb Raider’. We’re delighted and extremely proud to have been able to do this with what we believe is in the most prestigious manner possible and that is to grace the cover of the world’s biggest games magazine, Game Informer. I Hope by now you’ve all had a chance to visit the Game Informer Tomb Raider hub and read all of the features they created with us.

Did you know it’s been 13 years since the last Tomb Raider game graced the cover of Game Informer? Wow, that’s a long time for someone as big and as influential as Lara Croft and the Tomb Raider series. During their visit to the studio in November Meagan and Matt brought a few copies with them for our records, we’ll post images of them on the forums soon

So far the response to our new vision has been remarkable, I don’t think I’ve ever read so many positive comments and received so many emails and tweets from around the world congratulating the studio on this new direction. I know it may have come as a surprise to some that we decided to go back and tell an origins story, but after months and months of debate we truly believe this is the right thing to do to put Tomb Raider back on the map. I look forward to talking to you over the next 12+ months about all of the awesome things we have planned and ensure that you’re a part of everything we do.

As some of you may have already begun to notice, along with this new direction for the franchise we’ve also gone through a bit of a transformation in how we manage and communicate news about all things Tomb Raider. As of late 2009 when I first joined the studio in the role of Global Brand Director we began the job of building a studio based brand team with the sole responsibility for creating and managing the communication of Tomb Raider with the Square Enix teams around the world. Having a team located within the studio is an extremely exciting move for us, as it gives us a chance to communicate directly with you all on a full time basis, ensuring that no matter what, you’re all up to speed on what we’re doing.

It is with that I am delighted to be able to introduce to you the latest addition to the brand team, Scott Fernandez.

Scott recently joined us in the exciting new position of Community Researcher.

One of the jobs that the team here at the studio are focused on is the job of building what I envisage as a world class community structure that allows a two way conversation between the studio and you, the fans. Scotts role over the coming months will be to reach out to every single one of you (if possible) and try to get a real understanding of important things that will help us create this new structure, this will include such things as where you’re from, how often you play, what inspires you to play and what unique features would you like to see in your community that you’ve seen elsewhere. To help with this Scott, Keir and I are currently working on a questionnaire that will go live on our TombRadier.com website over the coming week that will give you the opportunity to give your opinion.

Over the coming days and weeks Keir will begin to introduce you all to Scott in whatever way you currently interact with the Tomb Raider community, through Facebook, Twitter or the Eidos forums.

Please feel free to email him directly and welcome him into the Crystal/Tomb Raider family. He’s here to help us get better at communicating.

So, before I leave you I want to make sue that you all have the latest list of development staff who are currently on twitter, dispensing their very own brand of development insight and humor.
Development:
@Crystaldkarl - Karl Stewart - Global Brand Director
@kylepeschel - Kyle Peschel - Senior Producer
@Timlongojnr - Tim Longo - Franchise Director
@Brianhortonart - Brian Horton - Art Director
@Brenochadams - Brenoch Adams - Concept Artist
@Blijack - Brent Dady - Sr Brand Manager
@cdotjohnston - Chris Johnston - Brand Coordinator
Community:
@sokrox - Scott Fernandez - Crystal Dynamics / Tomb Raider Community Manager
@Keiross - Keir Edmonds - Square Enix Group Community Manager
We’ll that’s it from me. I look forward to keeping you all update as we progress over the coming months.
Have a great 2011
All the best
Karl Stewart

So guys, Crystal are really embracing you, the fans. It's great news. I'd like everyone to welcome Scott, he's a great guy and is in touch with the key members of the dev team. The future is bright!
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: A message from Karl Stewart – Global Brand Director

Post by Jorge22 » 24 Jan 2011 09:44

Propaganda. Bring the old (severely outdated on a post-medieval basis) commands and I may take a look. All the rest, asking people, hence looking so democratic, changing stories, back to the future, back to the past, into the city, into the jungle, Lara's got 20 sisters and a mean twin, Lara's got nobody and an evil cousin, etc.etc.etc.etc., makes me yawn.

But hey, thank you for the info, I mean it!
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by rjb » 24 Jan 2011 10:48

Perhaps :idea: an opportunity for someone to write to them (politely - rudeness will have no effect except being ignored) and ask if there's any possibility of returning to the original type of set up of the first 5 games, where we could take Lara wherever we wished in an environment, exploring the `entire map`, if we chose, with controls that would allow us to move in any direction, etc, and perhaps mentioning the large custom level community * that is now all over the world. Be interesting to see the response.

(* My guess would be that their response would talk about how things have moved on and how today's youngsters want x, y, and z, like other games, overlooking the unique character of the original TR games. The fact that there is a large TR custom level community (which includes plenty of youngsters) would be an attempt to show them that there is, in fact, a large market for the `older` type of game that requires a bit more thoughtfulness :think: to solve. That may cut no ice, unfortunately, in the same way that the American film industry seems to be aimed primarily at young men who have plenty of disposable income they can send their way, provided they are not challenged intellectually too much - but it might be of interest to hear their reply.)
"He enables me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul ..."[Ps 23:2-3]

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 24 Jan 2011 10:56

I agree. Fully. One should write to them, if that's what they say they want. Politely, of course. I also agree that their response will most likely be just the one you predicted. I also agree that it would be interesting to see it though. Now, who will write to them? Someone in charge of trle.net? A group of people representing several trle communities? Anyone who wants to?
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 24 Jan 2011 15:20

i don't think its a option to go back to old gameplay
and i really liked legend and underworld engines
its was something like playing medal of honour call of duty etc.
but u have to do some puzzles that u don't did in the earlier moh and cod
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

Will Raider

Post by Will Raider » 28 Feb 2011 16:19

A bunch of BS, the whole lot of it. Eidos have soled out.

I love how they say we've got sooo many great responses, prob because the fans who liked it are newbies and not "real" TR fans.

For those are following this propaganda like Jorge says, yous arnt true Tomb Raider fans, of course it is nice that you will stick with the legacy of Lara Croft but common open your eyes cant you see what these bunch of twats are doing with her.

Its all money, you really think they care. :]

They continue with this travesty of games only because the public is approving it, but I know deep inside alot of you arnt approving it, your just following the bandwagon to keep Lara alive. Wake up! lol

Long live Core Design and down with Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix!