The last revelation.

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

The last revelation.

Post by Anna27 » 20 Dec 2010 20:08

Back to the roots. As like in TR1, there is a lot's of running through the tombs, pyramids and cave's. Especially noteworthy are the new moves that add charm to the game. New thing in the game is returning to previous levels. The new weapons are not that great as in TR3, but they are useful. Especially laser sight.
A great idea was to show Lara as sixteen years old girl.
My favourite levels are: Desert Railroad, Cleopatra's Palaces.

RelicHunter

Re: The last revelation.

Post by RelicHunter » 05 Mar 2011 04:32

Not to be the topic necromancer here, but I set out on playing and finish TLR since I never actually completed the game from start to finish and felt like talking about it. :D

I really like how the level design is more exploration oriented, more like TR1. While it is Egypt all throughout I find it nice how Core managed to keep the environments new and rather fresh as you progress from one plot-arc to another. The levels look great for their time, and especially with Volumetric FX enabled as I really like the use of fog in the levels. I'm also a fan of the lighting too - they made it quite atmospheric without it being outlandish, while having some strong colors that fit the fantasy aspects of the game.

My favorite level is probably Burial Chambers. I think it's well-built and had a good degree of challenge and length. It's quite befitting as this level is the first turning point in the game plot-wise. When I first played the game I thought going back to previous levels as done in Karnak was clever. In Cairo it's also done well, though at first I thought it confusing as all hell! Now though, I realize it's a lot more streamlined than I thought. :)

It does have its faults though. I felt like in the Alexandria levels and after they had a different approach to building levels. There started being less traps and adrenaline sequences. It gets more apparent later on - I'm in Underneath the Sphinx right now, and while it's not a bad level, the earlier levels were certainly better. That underwater maze is awful! And either I'm inept or something as I can't see the logic behind some of the hieroglyph puzzles. :?

Now that I think about it I find the lack of a transition between Citadel and The Sphinx Complex jarring.
At the end of the former, Lara traps the Set-possessed Von Croy along with the incantation tablet that holds Set's bindings. She then escapes and jumps out of the citadel, into a moat or river presumably - but then you suddenly end up in Giza. I don't recall Lara being told or knowing that's her next destination, and the whole incantation tablet subplot disappears as quickly as it was brought up. Could it have been the developers rushing to get it out for the Christmas season per Eidos' deadline? Not surprising considering what ended up happening with Core Design.

chronicles5

Post by chronicles5 » 06 Mar 2011 03:52

RelicHunter wrote:Not to be the topic necromancer here
:D

I need to replay this game, I can hardly remember most of the latter half of it. Interesting about the lack of transition between Cairo and Giza, I hadn't noticed that before. You're probably right about the developers rushing, as the rest of LR usually gave a fairly good explanation of where Lara was going next and why.

I also agree about how they did well keeping the game fresh throughout the many Egypt locations, though admittedly I got very sick of Egypt after this game. On the other hand, it's very cool to see a game exploring so many of Egypt's wonders and mythology. One totally gets his money's worth with this game. I think the Cambodia levels were my favorite, plus the Lost Library and Tomb of Semerkhet. The Senet game was really fun.
Happy to be building again.

Will Raider

Post by Will Raider » 16 May 2011 00:10

The Library Levels were my favourite throughout the game as I loved the textures and of course killing the tinmen was always fun for me! :D

TRLR was one of my favourites throughout the whole TR series if not my true favourite... but I love all the old gen games so its hard to tell.

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 18 May 2011 22:09

You know, there is a custom named TR4 Gold Fading light. It is inspired by deleted TR4 gold project. But do you know about original gold? There are a few things that have been used in custom game. Story is little different but very interesting.
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthr ... light=gold

afzalmiah

Post by afzalmiah » 10 Sep 2011 14:31

TLR is my favourite tomb raider game ever! The levels, enemies, atmosphere... I could go on forever! :D It's a shame tomb raider is not as good now as it used to be. I still like them though. :)
Let's keep the party going All Night Long... :D

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 10 Sep 2011 18:00

It was a well made game, but the puzzles that spanned several levels got a bit convoluted for me haha. Maybe I was too young to keep track of it all :-P Walkthroughs were my friend.

I did not like the ending to this game. It robbed me of a lot of the satisfaction I felt upon first completing it. I'm not always against cliffhangers, but this one just felt like a cheap shot. I suppose part of my issue would be all those future ideas core design had to tie it all together, which fell through the cracks. (there, I said it without spoiling anything :D )

afzalmiah

Post by afzalmiah » 10 Sep 2011 22:14

I wasn't such a fan of the ending either. They could've made the ending more epic.
Let's keep the party going All Night Long... :D

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 18 Sep 2011 01:46

If we talk about the ending - I simply don't believe in it. It didn't happen, because:
1. It's the only moment in all TRs (from 1 to 5) when she becomes tired.
2. Such corridors have several layers of solid stones beneath them. So there is nothing to collapse.
3. No-one, in a situation when everything around collapses, would waste 1,8 second on saying "Good to see You again, Werner" instead of pulling up and getting out of there. Especially Lara, who had a lot of experience with all those collapsing floors from TRs 1-4.
4. "The original entrance of the pyramid is located 7.29 m (24 ft) east of the center of the pyramid on the north face, at a height of 16.76 m (55 ft) above ground level." On the NORTH face - it means NOT on the East one, where Werner is standing in the final cutscene:

end of research
Jesse wrote:I did not like the ending to this game. It robbed me of a lot of the satisfaction
What truly robs is collecting all 70 secrets without unlocking any bonus. Maybe this is why I never bothered to do it.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Will Raider

Post by Will Raider » 17 Jun 2012 11:46

In my oppinon TRLR was one of the best TR games in the series. Loved every minute of the it and it had everything I liked, enough said :]

JackRaider

Post by JackRaider » 01 Oct 2013 02:20

TR1 is a classic. 2&3 were fun little add ons. TLR is the best of the classics iMO. TRC was average, but Mac/ PC came with the Level Editor, which was based of the TR4 build. I'm purchasing TLR off amazon. Sort of want to play it again.
"Well you have my total attention now, I'm not quite sure if I've got yours."

Blog: http://johnperk.wordpress.com/
Pinterest:http://pinterest.com/johnperk/
Twitter:http://twitter.com/JohnLPerk

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 25 Jun 2016 17:30

Indeed, another great game. The Karnak and Coastal Ruins sections were my favourite and offered a bit of a respite from the more high octane previous levels. The last time I played, I actually found all secrets, he he. :)