The most difficult moments.

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

The most difficult moments.

Post by Anna27 » 16 Dec 2010 21:24

What was the most difficult moments for you in Tomb Raiders? Which game, which level and what was a situation?

Mine was:
Golden Mask, Furnance of gods. For a long time I didn't know, how to get to weapons in cave with melted gold. I didn't notice hard to see ledge.
Chronicles, Colloseum. I have tried for many hours timed run with raising pedestal.

QRS
Admin
Admin

Re: The most difficult moments.

Post by QRS » 16 Dec 2010 21:31

For me it was to get the second (or third?) secret in the Francis Folly level in tr1. I played it on psx back in 1996 and you could not save during the slide...you had to restart the god damn level, shoot Piere, the apes, all the pillar jumping and not to mention the other secret in the small room before...it took about 15 min to get a chance every damn time!!

All that to reach the last level and a bug prevented the psx players (pc player too I think) to get all 3 secrets and end with ALL secrets in the game registred....if you got nr1 nr 3 did not register...and vice versa I think. I did check that a few years back with turbo pascals tool and I saw that they had named both secrets 2 and 3 "2" . That was the problem and a common level building problem :lol:
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by rjb » 16 Dec 2010 22:18

Your last paragraph, noble Q: At last that mystery solved :idea:. I also wondered why the third secret didn't register, as the very first time I played the final TR1 level I missed the second secret and the third did chime - but not later when I found the second secret. Both numbered "2" explains it. Thank you :2thumbsup:.
"He enables me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul ..."[Ps 23:2-3]

justin

Post by justin » 17 Dec 2010 16:13

I had the same problem with the last secret using Sega Saturn, always bummed me out :(

Hardest moment, probably some part of the Area 51 in TR3, I can't remember exactly which part gave me the hardest time.

Also, just about every secret in Folly was a nightmare, the hardest for me was the drop from the top to the bottom timed run
Dark Skies loom...

Zephyron

Post by Zephyron » 19 Dec 2010 12:36

I found it difficult to go through Temple of Xian in Tomb Raider II a good few years back. Those giant spiders really gave me a shock when they came hailing down in the cave. I have a phobia of spiders.

So it wasn't a situation where one is stuck that they haven't fostered the skill to go through, I just couldn't face the spiders at the time.

Of course, now it's... not <i>as</i> bad to go through. I mean, it has been almost a decade. In fact, I enjoy going through these kind of places now... which is really ironic. I guess the fact that I've learned about polygons and such, it has unveiled the illusion of real spiders in levels. Even so, I still hesitate to this day. :roll:

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 19 Dec 2010 23:44

I concur on the spider cave. Ugh. :?

I got stuck for the longest time in TR3 because I didn't recognize that there was a wall of pushable blocks in the second India level (this is near the secret that requires you to drop into a spike pit and use a crawlspace to reach it). I ended up starting (and finishing) TR4 first because of this. It seems so silly now, looking back on it. :-P

busybee

Post by busybee » 27 Dec 2010 13:45

I still can't play the end of TR2 on account of the spiders without jumping levels (and missing secrets). Strangely enough, the underworld spiders annoyed me , surprised me, but I could get a grip :)

The most difficult moments:
the lava jumps in the end of TRA before meeting Natla, very difficult with so few saving spots. I'm stuck there I believe, until I decide to do it again.
the pillars timed jumping in TRA too.
the sword of Damocles (trA), but it's my favourite level, though.
got a hard time playing chronicles which were always bugged with the cyberman and I got shot dead a lot by those helicopters...
killing Boaz...

my favourite is tr4 since I can do it all, even when it is difficult and I love the story.

Blue43

Post by Blue43 » 01 Jan 2011 20:02

I couldn't come up which what I thought was the most difficult moment in the whole series but I sure remember the first really diificult moment which was a real game stopper for me in the Tomb Raider 1. It was the burners in Palace Midas where I got stuck for a very long time before I figured out how to do it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Will Raider

Post by Will Raider » 28 Feb 2011 22:09

Mine would have to be Palace Midas with the levers, I think it was like 4 months or something until I finally found out, how to do it lol XD

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by rjb » 02 Mar 2011 11:44

My very first game-stopping moment was in TR1 and the second level, because I didn't recognise that a certain block in a small room was pushable :duh:. I investigated everywhere for ages - ended up knowing those grey corridors very well (and certainly found every pick-up by doing so) - and was convinced there was just nowhere else to go.

You mean that block's `pushable`? Well, blow me down! :faint: (And when I found the whole, much more colourful, city of Vilcabamba beyond - and lots more wolves - that was such a relief. The game increased hugely in interest from that point on.)
"He enables me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul ..."[Ps 23:2-3]

Will Raider

Post by Will Raider » 02 Mar 2011 13:54

Haha the only way I found out about that and wouldnt of been in the same position you were in rjb was cause I was playing the demo, lucky that I did haha XD

Risa/Yuki

Post by Risa/Yuki » 20 Apr 2011 20:18

I have to say... it's been such a long time. Since i started with TR2 then TR1 Then TR4 then TR3 then 5 Angel of Darkness, ect..

I think the most difficult part of these games was...

In tr2, i was so f*cking afraid of those Yetis that i refused to go on XDD.Their screams and their haircut gave me shivers. Right now i laugh everytime i see them xD. No.. Tr2 was quite fine. I think i got stuck in the underwater levels too. Oh yeah.. that F*CKING Fish! "Les quartiers d'équipages" (since i'm french)Living Quarters ? when you swim to active the underwater lever to open the trapdoor, there's that loong black fish that just jumps out of the wall and it just gave me nightmare! xDD
Nah TR2 was fine, i don't remember having troubles with it.

TR1 was so Strange to me, i got stuck too with the four Levels in the Folly and i was really afraid of every creature that came out. Even Rats (they were BIG ).. I was stuck in EVERY level of that game, because i was so afraid of monsters that i was running around, firing everything while my eyes were closed.

TR3 was my favorite one, and i didn't really get stuck in it. I have to say " The gorge of..." Was really tricky and unfair at some parts. Oh and Antartica .. God.. I was so afraid of them. (Well i shouldn't have played those games when I was 9 .. But who cares )

TR4 HAS to be the most difficult one to me. Its Puzzles were really , really tricky and i didn't understand them most of the time. Egypt parts most of the time. Timed runs were okay.
I had many problems with Catacombs levels because it took me... like.. 7 DAYS to do the rope-jumps.

TR5 ... Nah.

Angel of darkness. I didn't really liked this one because her movements were slow and it gave me a really hard time to manipulate Lara correctly.

Legend, TRA, TRU were easy because they were simplified to death. Even if I have to say, there were many bugs in those games which really pissed me off for hours D:

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 15 Jan 2016 09:46

My most difficult moment was trying to use those bounce pads in Ice Palace correctly. I used them every which way but the right way and was stumped for a good while! :lol:

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 19 Jan 2016 02:05

I can relate to you there, never have I made Lara snap her neck so many times in a row :lol:

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 19 Jan 2016 14:23

Another stumbling block for me (entirely my own failing) was trying to access the first garden key in Streets of Rome in Chronicles. I forgot to pick up the Lasersight and didn't think to shoot with pistols. :hammer: