Tomb Raider 9

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

QRS
Admin
Admin

Re: Tomb Raider 9

Post by QRS » 13 Dec 2010 15:28

justin wrote:As bad as we are at Video games, I enjoy a lot of Ubisoft games (i'm pretty sure they are mostly American)
Ubisoft is a French company actually ;)

They exist in many contries though and US is probably one of them :)

An old friend of mine worked for them in Canada with the latest POP game. It was a joy to see his name come up at the end credits when I finished the game :2thumbsup:
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 13 Dec 2010 15:38

Isn't Ubisoft's man development studio in Canada, not the US? Well, considering that it's called Ubisoft Montreal ... :wink:

Just pointing out a fact - I've got nothing against the US or American video games. :)

Wow, highly off-topic. :D

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 13 Dec 2010 16:39

I hadn't even thought about it but Ubisoft is in fact French. Maybe they do have a branch in Montreal, which is Quebec territory (totally away from me the crazy De Gaulle idea of turning Quebec independent, mind you)...

justin

Post by justin » 14 Dec 2010 16:36

Jorge22 wrote:
justin wrote:As bad as we are at Video games, I enjoy a lot of Ubisoft games (i'm pretty sure they are mostly American)
:D Don't feel bad about it. I don't like most videogames, anyway. And I was just thinking of a few videogames I actually enjoyed: Tomb Raider (British, well, it was anyway), Omikron (French), Max Payne (Finnish) - and I've seen what they (not the Finnish) are going to do with it :-o , Mafia (Czech Republic or something), Alice (well, maybe that one was American, I'll give you that), Broken Sword (British)... I just dislike how people want to turn videogames into things like Fox's serials or something. And I do enjoy several Fox's serials (Bones, House, the Simpsons, of course, Catch me if you can, etc.) and at the same time I dislike series like Lost and that kind of thing. You see... Anyhow, I think it's a bad idea to try and turn videogames into half made serials, especially the kind I dislike. Just an opinion, nothing against the US per se, let that be perfectly clear.
Regarding Ubisoft, yes it's French (i'm very ill-informed about most, if not all, video game companies).

As for House, i'd consider this British, just because Hugh is pretty much the entire thing, and he's awesome :)
Dark Skies loom...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 15 Dec 2010 13:08

Yeah, and I made a mistake too because I may have been distracted when I spoke a of a serial named Catch me if you can - I simply translated the Portuguese title directly. I can never remember the actual original title, but it's that thing where there's a guy that's working with the FBI and he wears a hat and is after some music box, I guess you know...
Hugh Laurie is British indeed, but the serial's made in America and he doesn't even sound British, so... He really is the serial, but then there's also his friend Wilson and in fact I like all the characters, plus the writers who create all the amazing funny dialogues and situations.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 17 Dec 2010 23:18

Just got a Game Informer in the mail, and it has a rather large article about this game. I actually think it's quite an interesting idea they have going. One thing that makes me happy is that things that things that traditionally happen in cutscenes, will instead be under the player's control. They also remodeled Lara such that he has some of her familiar features, but otherwise is more of a normal person. The idea, according to CD, is to give players a character they can empathize with. It sounds like they are on the right track so far.

The thing that worries me however is that it sounds rather graphic. They describe the beginning of the game, and Lara sets herself on fire to free herself from a piece of canvas, landing such that a spike impales her side, one that the player must have her remove...and so on. Of course I don't know just how into detail the game will get, visually speaking. I'm just not very fond of the more graphic games. If this is rated M I will probably not buy it.

Personally I found the last three games to be a step on the wrong direction. Maybe this game will be a good step. Or, it will successfully kill off enough of the familiar characteristics of the series to make it barely recognizable. It is hard for me to say which at the moment.

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 18 Dec 2010 03:08

I have said it many times but I will say it again: Gameplay and controls!! I think they managed to implement great gameplay and puzzles in TRA and TRU (not so much in Legend I think..) still the controlls were really bad. Using gamepad or keyboard/mouse..still bad. Imagine the new fantastic graphics with the goold old smooth animation on Lara and her movement etc.
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 18 Dec 2010 18:57

Jesse wrote:If this is rated M I will probably not buy it.
It is rated M, isn't it? Or is that just a tentative rating? I'm not sure. But judging by the description in that article, I don't see how they could get away with a lower rating.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 18 Dec 2010 22:38

maybe m is related to where u live
i dunno what m means

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 19 Dec 2010 05:49

"M" stands for "Mature" and is usually for games that are quite violent, have explicit language, etc. In the US you cannot buy a game rated M if you are under a certain age (which I forget, I think it is 17 or 18). It is like an R rated movie.

"T" is for "Teen" and has been the usual rating for TR games so far. It has some violence or strong language, but not as much - you don't see body parts flying about, for instance.

You are right that it probably will be M. I might suck it up and try the game anyway. :-P Still, a part of me is hoping that they will be able to add these details to Lara's story without making it overly graphic, keeping their T rating. I'm worried over this because if they go for an M rating, nothing will stop them from turning Tomb Raider into a very dark series. And for me that is not a good thing because I've liked TR for being somewhat lighter than other games out there.

Soul
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Soul » 02 Jan 2011 16:07

Some very HQ-ingame-screenshots can be found here.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... llery.aspx

You should really check them out, as they are stunning and a lot better, than TRU :balloon:

Will Raider

Post by Will Raider » 03 Jan 2011 18:18

LMAO! When is Eidos gonna give it up already! I bet this is gonna be even worse than The Guardian of Light and that is saying something. When will they realise that Lara Croft died after TR AOD. This is the 2nd reboot now. Its utterly pathetic.... Yawn.

The most annoying thing is though is that people actually like this cack that their realeasing and thats why they continue it and thats what p*sses me off the most.

Well anyways have fun guys... i'll stick with the custom levels. While you wait for this travesty to be released. :]

Soul
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Soul » 04 Jan 2011 10:41

Now thats what I'm calling constructive criticism :2thumbsup: Just great, Will, welcome back :lol:
When will they realise that Lara Croft died after TR AOD.
for YOU! They don't have to realise something only a bunch of people are thinking :wink: Of course you will find here more negative words about the new Lara, as this is a C-Level forum, were people love to run around with the old Lara from Core, but the majority has never heard of C-levels or will never play any of them.

Btw: Did you even read what this reboot's all about? The story is basically just the same as the old Core biography. Take the planecrash and change it into a shipwreck and you'll have it :wink:

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 04 Jan 2011 13:23

Well, to be quite frank, I don't like their all-new ideas that keep coming up for various reasons but I understand that industry has the mental mania that everything has always to keep changing, otherwise it will be a flop. On their heads be it!!! For one, I'm not really keen on all the darkness they seem to try to impose; then, new doesn't really mean good, they are not, never were and never will be obvious synonyms. But who cares? Maybe I'm eighty or something! Hmm... I could even get used to all that (maybe not be thrilled by it) if I had a lot of spare time to simply try out things I can perfectly well do without and mostly if they didn't spend their time making the commands much worse than they once were. People say the commands were outdated... Outdated? What's that exactly when you speak of commands? I'd really, really like to understand the logics behind that. Either the commands are intuitive and functional or they aren't (or are much less). The idea of progress should be to improve things, not to make them more complicated for the sakes of innovation, being that innovation is anything new, good or bad. And as they say you don't change a winning team. So TR wasn't on the toppest top anymore? An what about it? It's all so commercial. Just like music. There's nothing or almost nothing slightly original, with a personality anymore and I bet it isn't fully the musicians' fault - it's all about the industry. I remember JJ Cale once stopped recording and touring for years in protest against what industry was doing to music. The world does not and must not revolve around "pop". I don't expect everyone to be an artist or curious enough about the world but I really think there should be limits to what those in power (in all senses) are doing to the world and it makes me look like a conservative when I've never been a conservative. But I take the time to look and analyze. Why exactly is the western world slowly (or fast, depending) going down the drain? There must be reasons within itself, no need to blame it all on the Chinese, the Indians, the Brazilians or whoever is developing while we're retracting and stupidly fighting between ourselves (I'm thinking of the financial idiocy that took over the EU and mostly the euro-countries). But I write too much and I digress. That's why I bid you farewell. Or why I say "have a good day", as the plastic fantastic phrase goes. :D

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 14 Jun 2011 16:56

The trailer from the new Tomb Raider.
Trailer
And the gameplay
Gameplay
Lara looks so real. This is absolutely new Tomb Raider, new Lara. Get ready for blood, sweat and tears. Premiere will be in Autumn 2012.