Tomb Raider 3

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Tomb Raider 3

Post by Anna27 » 17 Nov 2010 17:21

The first and the last Tomb Raider which you can play in many ways. Beautiful views over London, breathtaking islands with crystal clear water or encounter with UFO. Here is the biggest arsenal of weapon, from which I like Desert Eagle and rocket launcher the most.
My favourite levels are: Coastal Village, The City and Antarctica. The stories about all pieces of meteorite are very interesting.

justin

Re: Tomb Raider 3

Post by justin » 17 Nov 2010 20:09

Probably the most difficult of any TR game, I actually played from start to finish with a guide book and used just about every cheat. The game was not very enjoyable for this fact. However, as a level builder, almost all of my influence is pulled from this game. TR3 is incredibly advanced, and my favorite from a builder's point of view. My favorite levels by far are the Coastal levels... among all levels of published TR games ever made, Coastal Village has always been my favorite
Dark Skies loom...

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 17 Nov 2010 20:48

Anna27 wrote:Here is the biggest arsenal of weapon, from which I like Desert Eagle and rocket launcher the most.
I love those weapons as well. :D This was the first TR game I've ever played and, perhaps because of that, it's my favorite one. I like the variety of settings and how you can pick which ones to tackle first, however I wish you didn't lose your weapons in Nevada because that makes anything you collected before then useless - at least have the game remember what items you lost so that you get everything back at the end of the level! The enemies were quite interesting and challenging. I liked that when certain baddies were dying, they would still try to get one last shot in before their death. The "stealth" part with the scuba diver, and the races to shoot certain guards before they turned on certain lasers, those were some interesting additions as well. And all the vehicles...well, there's too much to this game that I like!

Coastal Village is probably my favorite level ever. Before getting the game I had this level as a demo and I would race my brother through it all the time. :)

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 18 Nov 2010 16:02

I hope this will be interesting. But you may have already read. There are the interesting things about the pieces of a meteorite. With this reading I understood better the story.
The Infada Stone, Element 115, Ora Dagger, Eye of Isis and Hand of Rathmore, were five that were sculpted by a Polynesian tribe millenia ago in Antarctica from a meteorite that landed there millions of years before. Named the 'Meteorite Artefacts', they formed the basis of a culture centring on the Lost City of Tinnos. In the 19th century it was taken from an ice cave by a sailor on Charles Darwin's expedition around the world.

About Infada Stone:
Shocked by the death or disappearance of the second member of the group in South America, the remaining three may have decided to leave the HMS Beagle and take a different route back to England. Possibly changing ships at Sydney, Australia, the three sailed on into South-East Asia, where they may have stopped at the island of Kuru, then to the British colonies in India, where the owner of the Stone met his fate at the hands of the Infada tribe. Since then it was placed in their temple, until the British conquest of India when the tribe may have been pacified or wiped out. The Infada ruins were left for the Jungle to reclaim, and the Infada Stone was forgotten.

Element 115:
What happened to the man who took the artefact is not clear, although it almost certain that he died before it was taken from him. As the Beagle sailed up the coast of South America, it is possible that he died there - either at the hands of brigands and thieves, or perhaps as a result of an extra-terrestrial encounter.
The artefact was later found by the US Government in a UFO crash similar to the conspiracy at Roswell, New Mexico. The craft was left intact and its pilots had gone into stasis inside the ship. It was taken to Area 51 as part of ongoing experiments there. The stasis chambers were copied to keep several aliens fresh for autopsy purposes, while others were allowed to remain inside the craft.
The discovery by the American government must have been made only recently, as the autopsy process on the aliens has only just commenced. However, the artefact, which the alien pilots seemed to have been using as a power source and control array, had been declared a new element.

The Ora Dagger
The Ora Dagger travelled with the remaining three sailors across the Pacific Ocean where the remaining sailors may have changed boats for one going to India via South East Asia and Singapore. On one of the islands in the South Pacific near Papua New Guinea, named 'Kuru' by locals, Smythe met his fate at the hands of the tribe that had originally inhabited the Lost City of Tinnos. Recognising the artefact, they killed and ate him, and presented the artefact to their god or tribal chief, Puna.

The Eye of Isis
The Eye belonged to Stephen, owner of the diary that Dr. Willard uses to establish the whereabouts of the Meteorite Artefacts. He would have been among those crew members who left the HMS Beagle after the death of the owner of Element 115. Sailing on a different ship through the South Pacific and continuing on to India, he would have seen his other crewmates killed for their artefacts.
Perhaps deciding to cash in on the interest in Ancient Egypt that was sweeping Europe and North America at the time, Stephen could have made his way from India to Egypt, collecting several other relics of minimal importance compared to his own find. This would have made his own look like a genuine Egyptian article. Then he continued on to London, where he auctioned them.
It is unknown how the Eye came to be in the possession of Miss Sophia Leigh. Given the fact that she is surely much older than the age her employees think she is (one hazarded that she was in her late twenties to early thirties) she may have bought the artefact back in the 1830s and used its regenerative properties since in a search for eternal youth. This would make her nearly two hundred years old by the time Lara catches up with her.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 20 Nov 2010 23:57

That is interesting. :2thumbsup: Where did you find it?

Will Raider

Post by Will Raider » 22 Nov 2010 04:44

Always loved the Aldwych level because of the part where you enter the Secret Masonic Temple! The South Pacific levels, the Antartic ones too! Hated the mutants they scared me and Willard as the spider was badass! :D

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 24 Nov 2010 14:39

The very best official game indeed, no doubts whatsoever. Perhaps it didn't have fancy current new generation graphics but it had variety, imagination and an atmosphere.
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 24 Nov 2010 18:17

Jesse wrote:That is interesting. :2thumbsup: Where did you find it?
In Tomb Raider Wiki. http://www.tombraiderwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page I wrote in spoiler, because I don't know if I can advertise other sides.

Will Raider

Post by Will Raider » 24 Nov 2010 21:05

Nice find indeed Anna it certainly explains alot to the story :]

Alexandre Simões

Post by Alexandre Simões » 09 Jul 2011 22:21

This is one of my favorite TR's, although I find the London levels rather annoying and the jungle levels get a little boring.
Still, I loved the Nevada levels, especially maybe the Nevada Desert, wich was an imaginative and well built level . As for the Pacific, I liked Coastal Village, Crash Site, Madubu Gorge but didn't appreciated Temple of Puna much. I liked Antartica a lot. A perfect recipe for success, in my oppinion. :wink:
Let me think about that... No.

Franco Bula

Post by Franco Bula » 21 Jul 2011 18:37

I think this is the correct topic.. well

Look at this detail that i found yesterday..
fexmerger 2011-07-21 14-04-41-42.JPG
fexmerger 2011-07-21 14-04-41-42.JPG (9.19 KiB) Viewed 5005 times
Do you recognize this? This is the back of the dam guard of the Nevada Desert level, and its symbol is (I think) a classic enemy of the classic game, Doom :nice: :nice:
71137_92261581443_4517257_n.jpg
71137_92261581443_4517257_n.jpg (3.53 KiB) Viewed 5005 times
Just open your eyes

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Matie » 21 Jul 2011 20:26

Hehe, I've also noticed that! I was wondering if it was a deliberate reference for the game.

Mmh, I haven't completed TR3 yet, but I really should. I started playing it years ago, I've already played the India section and half of Nevada twice (I really liked these parts, also the South Pacific Island was great), but I was a bit afraid of playing the London levels, as I had heard that they aren't good, they're scary and someone skipped them for this and that reason... I finally started playing again (about a month ago, it only lasted for a few days) and completed the London levels - I surprisingly enjoyed Thames Wharf, though I didn't like Aldwych (lots of backtracking) and Lud's Gate (underwater part). So now I'm right at the beginning of Antarctica and looking forward to the rest of the game!

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 26 Jun 2016 00:42

Ah, TR3, another great game, right up there with TR2. I liked the Nevada section the best because you had to be stealthy around the guards because you were defenceless. I always played Nevada first, then London, then South Pacific. :D
"I've been hearing symphonies, before all I heard was silence".

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 08 Jul 2016 18:23

Tomb Raider 3, my favourite game and favourite location London, but I love all locations in this game :2thumbsup:

Just wanted to post link to this article where there is also mention about TR3 (just scroll down the page):

http://underground-history.co.uk/aldwych.php
Where is no challenge there is a boredom

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 22 Aug 2016 01:08

Wow, very interesting! :2thumbsup: I like the photos and the accompanying captions. "Who left that train there?" :lol: The "death by train" animation will always stay with me, I had to try it just for a bit of sadistic pleasure! :devilish:
"I've been hearing symphonies, before all I heard was silence".