Tomb Raider 2: Dagger of Xian.

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

QRS
Admin
Admin

Re: Tomb Raider 2: Dagger of Xian.

Post by QRS » 28 Feb 2016 20:48

I did replay tr2 a while back too. Still a fantastic game I think!
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 29 Feb 2016 10:29

I agree, the graphics may be primitive by today's standards, but gameplay was excellent. This and TR3 are the best, IMO.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 01 Mar 2016 01:09

A great game indeed. Each TR has a certain flavor to it. To me, TR2 is the action oriented game. The combat is quite satisfying and I liked the different vehicles and trap sequences. While TR3 holds a special place in my heart, TR2 is definitely up there in my favorite games list.

Alfonzo

Post by Alfonzo » 04 Mar 2016 08:06

Since TR2 has caused this much talk and reminiscing.... Might as well put in my 2 cents.

Not one of my favorites. A textbook example of the "Sophomore Jinx"

As has been said before by others; old looking graphics...tedious gameplay.....too much combat against the same types of baddies...with a story that any Hollywood hack could crank out in 3 seconds: copied from a 1980's movie. It turned into the cheesy action game that every gamer was expecting it to be.
It even came with notorious glitches that were so common for 3D games from that time that are still there today.
How is it possible that Core couldn't bother to do a patch to eliminate HUGE black triangles appearing in the background.... and yet...so realistically make Lara's braids float on water and sway in the wind ?
I was angry.... "Why ?!? Why did they take this 5 star game from last year and turn it into THIS ? "
It nearly made me stop playing Tomb Raider. :furious3:
When I finally finished it: I was happy to get $18.00 store credit from the nearest used game shop.
Later, I find out that Core was working on TR2 and TR3 at the same time; which explains why TR3 is the better of the two games IMHO

After playing so many custom levels -thank you, builders- and replaying all of the other classic TR games...i decided to give TR2 another chance and...

It was not as bad as I remembered it to be and I actually like the snowmobile music
But I still refuse to use those auto-pistols and I still call it DOOM RAIDER.
Like some others, I also look forward to playing the TR2 remake from Tombraider95. godspeed to ya

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 27 Jul 2016 01:58

TR2 will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was my first encounter with the franchise and with Lara herself. For that reason alone, I will always remember it (I started playing very young and I have bought every game since, go figure :lol:) I sort of cheated in Venice by not choosing the intended race to the exit, instead I would press the button, swim under the door and take my sweet time reaching the end. Not the way that the designers intended, but whatever works. :lol: My mam, dad and sister would always watch me plow through each level and they were perplexed to say the least :)