The Angel of Darkness.

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

The Angel of Darkness.

Post by Anna27 » 01 May 2010 16:38

There is no topic about this game, so I posted this one. AOD is an old game, but still worth of considering.
The history of it making everybody knows, so I won't write about it. Only I say, that if not that all situations, game wouldn't have so many bugs. And many cutted locations(see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyrqSRUQ ... re=related), characters(like sorcerer), weapons and moves.
Here I wrote some examples: For Kurtis:
Psychical Power:
I use psychical power. Please! It always tire me out. Stand near door and choose from equipment 'psychical power'. Next press action button.
Other moves had be: Ability of far seeing, Psychical sight, Absorption enemy's power.

Conversation with Putai(sorcerer):
You administer with unique powers, Lara. Learn them to trust.
- But how will I be remember about it, Putai?
- When you find in need, remember amulet. It will help you in science.
- But past still me torments.
- You will learn. There is many very good cutted things in game.
Anyway AOD was quite good game. Interesting plot, beautiful places like: Parisian Streets, galeries, botanic garden, Prague and many more. Music was superb too.
And what do you think about new Lara's incorporation? I mean she became little dark person.

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: The Angel of Darkness.

Post by Anna27 » 21 May 2010 10:21

Here you can find more information about first concepts of AOD:

To not advertisement another page, I'll put it in spoiler: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=162235

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 26 May 2010 18:25

Nobody like AoD, or this topic is borring?

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 05 Sep 2010 23:45

Sorry to bump a thread but I felt like sharing some AoD love. :) I thought that the game was well done, but it has its ups and downs for me:

Before I start: The two bugs I had was one where there was a stack of unlimited ammo in Von Croy's place, and not losing my ammo when I was captured. Seriously, that was it.

Downs:
-The game has a large plot hole concerning Lara in Egypt, creating confusion in the story (for instance she thinks Von Croy "abandoned" her, although TR5 shows otherwise. This is critical because it is why she is so mad at him before he dies at the start of the game).
-Lara's animations didn't link together well sometimes. That is, she is sometimes sluggish going from one to the other.
-The game slowed down for me if there was heavy rain or some effect like that (I played this on the PS2).
-Limited ammo was a pain, and the hand-to-hand combat was a bit weird (though I liked the idea)
-The "upgrade" system was kind of silly and unnecessary.
-The stamina bar, while it made hanging moments more tense, was a bit too tight sometimes.
-Collecting money without knowing how much you will need later is a pain.
-Some of the health items were not very useful (a chocolate bar that heals 10%? seriously?)
-Kurtis controlled a bit weird and felt kind of useless because of what happens at the end (for all that we know...if there was more to the story than that, it just makes it that much more of a shame how the story arc was dropped).

Ups:
-I liked that the controls were mostly like the classic controls, because I like those better than the ones crystal dynamics uses. Lara's various jumps are always the same coverage and thus are more reliable.
-The sprint jump was awesome, a shame you could only use it for the very end.
-The sneaking controls were a good continuation of the stealth concepts introduced in TR5.
-Lara was able to do all sorts of awesome scaling moves.
-Being able to choose how Lara talks is a nice touch of interactivity from the player (better than those button-pressing things in the newer games). However you shouldn't be able to die from any of your choices, that is a bit extreme. :?
-I loved a lot of the environments, and there was a lot to explore in each one.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 24 Nov 2010 14:43

AoD was cool but all its flaws (plus the never ending bashing of so-called fans) were the starting of Core's ending and the cause of giving an American company the right to fully destroy all that TR once was - command wise, story wise, colour and light wise, all wise.
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 24 Nov 2010 16:09

Jorge22 wrote:AoD was cool but all its flaws (plus the never ending bashing of so-called fans) were the starting of Core's ending and the cause of giving an American company the right to fully destroy all that TR once was - command wise, story wise, colour and light wise, all wise.
i know u dont like tomb raider after tr5 chronicles
but u really missing some good gameplay
tr6 are good but the control of lara are really bad
Anniversary are good but hard in the Defeating The Bosses ( i have to use savegames ) (and u know me as a hardcore trle gamer )
both legend and underworld was easy
i haven't played Guardian of Light yet

so i will not say its are/was cores end
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

Will Raider

Post by Will Raider » 24 Nov 2010 21:02

There was sooo much fuss about AOD and honestly I dunno why it was such a fantastic game, nowhere near the other 4 TR's but it was still good. I loved the Tomb of the Ancients and Hall Of Seasons levels they had to be the true highlight of the game!! :]

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 26 Nov 2010 17:41

And what do you think about Kurtis? It's a good that he appeared in game? Many persons had trouble with control of him. Or fight with Boaz.
And general, did you irritate by the limited strength?

Will Raider

Post by Will Raider » 28 Nov 2010 05:58

Kurtis to me was just another character, I didnt really care if the game had him or didnt have him in it. My focus was all on Lara and the story and such but I guess he is apart of the story.

I will admit the game was a little hard to control but it wasnt a major issue for me :]

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 29 Nov 2010 09:30

I liked playing as Kurtis. I don't think he moved like an ape or anything, like some people said. And it was a nice change from the ever present Lara. Now, about the commands, that's another story.............................
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 06 Dec 2010 19:13

Did you liked the new character of Lara? She was dismal and introverted.

In my opinion, this a small change was a good idea. Her character was perfectly suited to the story.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 07 Dec 2010 04:22

Honestly I don't think Lara changed much from the earlier games, I think she simply became more developed. We never saw Lara interacting with so many different kinds of people until this game came, so it was a new thing for the players to see. I think they handled the added dimensions well without destroying Lara's principles.

justin

Post by justin » 07 Dec 2010 13:31

I enjoyed AOD, despite the endless glitches and bizarre attempt at choosing dialogue (this bothered me more than any other aspect). Still, the graphics were cool and the story line was still very interesting. I will, however, always blame Core for rushing this game and causing their own demise. (unless it was Eidos that rushed it, lol )
Dark Skies loom...

Alexandre Simões

Post by Alexandre Simões » 01 Oct 2011 22:19

Anniversary are good but hard in the Defeating The Bosses ( i have to use savegames ) (and u know me as a hardcore trle gamer )
really? I find that weird because the bosses were very easy for me... although i played tra in a ps2, I know the pc version is harder because of the controls... Anyway, I liked the ambience in AoD, but the rest was a little bad. Like the fact that it seems you are controlling a cement truck and etcetera. But this is just me.
Let me think about that... No.

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Scottie » 01 Oct 2011 22:26

Lara had had the mobility of a Sleeping Pill :(
Resistance is futile