Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ANNOUNCED!

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

Phys

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ANNOUNCED!

Post by Phys » 04 Mar 2010 14:14

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ANNOUNCED!

Post by Jorge22 » 04 Mar 2010 16:26

Another story of excessively epic dimensions and bad commands... I'm yawning with excitement. :sleeping2:
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

rtrger

Post by rtrger » 04 Mar 2010 17:59

No pictures, gameplay videos or anything....that doesn't make any sense. :roll:

I'm not excited because of a logo...

chronicles5

Post by chronicles5 » 05 Mar 2010 19:04

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/lar ... e=previews

Some screenshots and more detailed information.

So far I don't like what I'm seeing. It seems to me Square Enix is putting their spin on Tomb Raider, which will make it not Tomb Raider at all. :angry:

I have always loved exploring ancient temples and locations, just me and Lara. No "buddy", no intrusive camera angles, no points for killing enemies. Lara was not meant to be in an RPG. I'm also wondering why the images seem so low-res, like a PSP game or something.

Whatever happened to Origins?

Edit: Oh, and the logo looks more like The Golden Compass than Tomb Raider.
Happy to be building again.

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Matie » 05 Mar 2010 19:48

It isn't exactly a Tomb Raider game. It is a one-off, "Tomb Raider" is also missing from the title.
As far as I know Crystal Dynamics is working on two projects: one of them is "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light" and the other one is possibly "Tomb Raider - Origins".

I don't know what to think at the moment, I'm curious... :thinking:

Jawi

Post by Jawi » 05 Mar 2010 20:09

I think just like Matie, what's more, I think this game will be very small and it shouldn't be counted into TR numeration (as 9 in this case). A very good way of showing it is on WoTR page (Polish TR Official Site):
http://www.laracroft.pl/
As you can see 'Guardians of Light' isn't in the category 'Games', but 'Other Games' by games for TV.

chronicles5

Post by chronicles5 » 05 Mar 2010 21:25

Okay, that's a relief. As long as the true Tomb Raider series continues, I'll be happy. :)
Happy to be building again.

justin

Post by justin » 12 Mar 2010 14:37

I'm just excited that they're still making games!
Dark Skies loom...

TombMaker

Post by TombMaker » 22 Mar 2010 12:51

I think Matie and Jawi are correct, especially if this is right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lara_Croft ... n_of_Light

Nina Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Nina Croft » 27 Mar 2010 14:16

Presentation of the Guardian of Light @ Skribblerz

Lara Croft will be appearing in a new game this summer which won't be part of the mainstream Tomb Raider franchise. According to Crystal Dynamics, this is because Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is going to be a completely different experience.

The Guardian of Light will be top-down, isometric adventure that uses a fixed camera and focuses between puzzle solving and combat against hordes of enemies. Lara will also have some bloke along with her for the adventure, Totec, an ancient Mayan warrior who has been awakened from centuries of hibernation by a squad of nasty mercenaries.

Unfortunately, an evil sorcerer named Xolot is also awakened by all the fuss and he then revives an ancient army of undead horrors, forcing Lara and Totec to work together to foil his evil plans.

Both Lara and Totec have different abilities which they can use to help each other solve puzzles and fight off the evil hordes. For example, Lara can use a grapple line as usual, but she can also attach the grapple to Totec to pull him up walls or so he can abseil down them.

Totec, meantime, has a shield he can use to deflect and block weapon projectiles but he can also use it to turn himself into a platform for Lara to stand on.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is slated for release on PC, Xbox and PlayStation as a digital download, sometime this summer. As it employs the same graphical engine behind Underworld, it packs in some impressive detail.

Although The Guardian of Light is not mainstream Tomb Raider, and is being used more as a filler between major Tomb Raider releases, it still sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

IMO, official Tomb Raider died with The Angel of Darkness, when they were forced to publish unfinished and crippled game that would have definitely been a great game should they've released a full version of TR6. I know that TR got an army of new fans when Legend appeared, and even more when Anniversary and Underworld were released, mostly thanks to advanced graphics and game engine. But all hard-core fans of Lara Croft, who has been following her from the very beginning, are not so easily satisfied with gorgeous vista in newer sequels, and they miss the old good tomb-raiding they fell in love with in "old-school" TR. The core of TR is missing ever since Core Design has been left out (pun intended).

I am not saying that TRL, TRA or TRU are bad games, I'm just saying that they look like many other contemporary games, while the original TR was something completely new, something that had certain high standards in hard-core platforming and adventure, something that is simply not there in new sequels. I don't know why it is so, and I am so desperately waiting to see a new TR game that will again make me scream Lara's name from rooftops.

I am not sure this inter-play game, Guardian of Light, will revive my hopes that the new TR will ever look like the old one. Based on what I can see in screenshots and description on many sites and boards, this is even more different from the old TR than Legend, Anniversary, or Underworld. Not at all am I happy to play multi-player TR game, and I don't know how could anyone think that any hard-core fan of TR will ever enjoy anything like this. Maybe this is a good average adventure game for new fans, but this cannot be TR, this looks like a bunch of other games (mentioned in posts prior to this) but not like TR. Remember, TR brought something new, something never seen in any other games.

That is why custom TR has so many fans all around the world. People are making excellent old-school TR games, even better than the official TR games.

Anything you can buy with money is cheap (Remarque)...

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 27 Mar 2010 14:59

Lara goes Diablo? I hope not!

It looks really cool as a separate game actually. For me it all depends on the controls. Love Squaresoft's RPG games, so this might be something different but good :2thumbsup:
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 27 Mar 2010 17:09

So the BtB Peru (2008) has made a big impression on someone over at Crystal Dynamics ? :D
Nina Croft wrote: abseil
:-o
"the English" never fail to puzzle me. And then it is pronounced almost like up-seil. lol.
http://www.leo.org/dict/audio_en/to_abseil.mp3
... to see a new TR game that will again make me scream Lara's name from rooftops.
:lol:

I don't think any modern TR game can do what the custom levels can do.
But this looks / reads like it could be a fun game on it's own. And if it is sold under the premise to NOT be a Tomb Raider game, then I think it's fine.

Even if it turns out to be bad, I should not wonder if it contains inspirations for puzzle- / trap- makers and at least nice textures to use in future trle games. :D
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

justin

Post by justin » 01 Apr 2010 15:29

Hordes of enemies? I'm playing Ninja Gaiden here for a reason! TR for puzzles, NG for hordes of enemies
Dark Skies loom...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 22 Apr 2010 15:48

QRS wrote:Lara goes Diablo? I hope not!
You took the words right out of my mouth!

And I agree with Nina. Tomb Raider's been dead and rotten for years now, safe for the customs. I don't think it will ever revive. Maybe it is that its producers are a horde of enemies! :-o
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Jawi

Post by Jawi » 15 May 2010 10:34

A new trailer has been released. Take a look at it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB1bsP0HP3k
I'm getting convinced of this new way of playing Miss Lara...
I hope this game will be available in Poland (knowing that Steam still isn't in our country...)