Can I Play Last Revelation With Just the Editor?

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

shandroid

Can I Play Last Revelation With Just the Editor?

Post by shandroid » 16 Jul 2009 18:59

Hi, this may have been covered before, but I am unusually unwilling to search for it. Also, this may not be the best forum to post this question, but I will let the moderators determine that. I don't have the Last Revelation for the PC, nor would it probably work very well on XP. I noticed that all the LR levels seem to be there when I install a fresh level editor (I suppose minus the cutscenes). Can I just start playing them? I know, seems like a dumb question, but I want to ask if anyone has successfully played LR from the Editor only (I can watch the cutscenes on you tube or something.) Thanks!!

justin

Re: Can I Play Last Revelation With Just the Editor?

Post by justin » 16 Jul 2009 19:14

This seems like the right forum :)

Anyway, the editor only includes some of the many many LR levels. So you can play them thru using the scripts (just start tomb4 after a fresh install)

But then you'll miss about 85% of the game :-\
Dark Skies loom...

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 16 Jul 2009 23:10

And some of those levels are different from the LR, they do not really make sense.

But LR works perfectly well on XP. :)
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

shandroid

Post by shandroid » 18 Jul 2009 06:18

Thanks, snork, I downloaded on my Gametap account and I am going to try it from there. I am just concerned that it will be sloooow loading, and you can't replace the tomb4.exe with the patched one on Gametap.

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 21 Jul 2009 12:16

Hi Shandroid,

Yes, the LE only covers a very limited amount of gameplay and as Snork mentioned, it does play well on XP (yay!). It's a fantastically long game with oodles of expansive environments but minus the patch, the only problem is indeed the reloading times. It can take a good minute to reload and this can be a downfall because there's a very tricky rope-swinging sequence whereby the visuals appear to be floored (you may as well close your eyes and jump backwards in the opposite direction to the second rope for all the accuracy it boasts!) :lol:

There's no escaping this bit either since once Lara pulls a lever, the floor behind her disappears and she is left on a very high ledge and it's too far down so you need the ropes.

I'm not at all adept at rope-swinging but other ropes are fairly easy, it's just those two in the Catacombs area that can be a bit hit and miss!

I do hope you can play it through as it arguably boasts one of the most ambient level-sets with vibrant red skies and spooky night time areas. It's true to the original as it's a return to basics - Egypt - and yet it never gets boring since all the levels are very imaginitavely designed :D

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 16 Oct 2009 15:45

Fortunately, all the older games, from TR2 on, function perfectly on XP. I don't know about Vista and the newer 7 but I'm hoping (since sometime I'll change computers) they will go on working just fine.

TombMaker

Post by TombMaker » 17 Oct 2009 01:53

I run on vista and I have every Tomb Raider game including TR1 working on my computer. :)

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 28 Nov 2010 20:42

This should be a good topic.
I tried to play Coastal Ruins in Level Editor. I came to room with hooks and brooms. In original version should be a stick, which I can combine with hook. But there is no stick on the floor. Only crowbar and some Uzis ammo. I can't pray a hook by using crowbar too. So, this is a mistake in game, or LE version have truncated. I just wondered if will be cutscene with taking a key by stick.

rtrger

Post by rtrger » 28 Nov 2010 22:01

Maybe it reacts badly so the designers had to take it out from the avaiable wads. Never tried though, so I can be wrong.

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 29 Nov 2010 13:08

I think they took it out because they didn't want to include cutscenes in the LE. In the LE version of Coastal Ruins, you don't need the hook and stick at all, as the keys are lying on the floor of the room where the cutscene takes place.