Problem Getting TR1 to run on XP

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

Necro

Problem Getting TR1 to run on XP

Post by Necro » 21 Jan 2009 13:38

Hi all. Im trying to get tr1 to run on xp and Im running into a problem. I cant ujderstand why its not working cause I have installed and played it before on the same laptop.

I have installed vdmsound and I'm using the advanced installer (which was included on the disc). I'm using the version of tr1 which came in a boxset of the first 6 games. I go through the installation process, choose dgvoodoo, etc. I use an ATI video card so I also include the NOVDD section. Once that's installed, I double-click the icon "Disable VDD Mode", then double-click the "Tomb Raider (Glide)". It gets as far as a black screen with the dos4gw message, then sticks.

I have been to the tombraiderchronicles site for info but the q+a doesn't have a query of mine. I'm using dgVoodoo v1.50 Beta2, and VDMsound 2.1.0.

Can anyone help?

Many Thanks.
Lee.
Cheers
Lee Dunning

Magnus
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Problem Getting TR1 to run on XP

Post by Magnus » 21 Jan 2009 13:49

Have you tried using Glidos to run it? That'd probably be your best bet.

Necro

Post by Necro » 21 Jan 2009 14:58

Thanks for your suggestion but even with glidos, I'm getting the same problem. It gets as far as the dog4gw message, then waits. The cd drive doesn't even fire up. I'm usuing a USB cd-rom as the one on the laptop wont read the disc (drive is on its way out). I have diabled that drive in control panel and even downloaded the new version of glidos. Just dont know what is going on.

I have even tried running the game through a dos emulator and I get the same problem there.
Cheers
Lee Dunning

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 21 Jan 2009 16:34

Whenever I had a problem running the official games, I would use the Eidos forums.
There was, at one time, a tech subforum that was very helpful.
Not sure if it's still there but it should be.

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 08 Jul 2009 16:00

Hi Bene,

Yes the tech forums are all still active over on Eidos :wink:

It's very helpful for this kind of technical help. Sadly, when I get my new PC I don't think it will run TR1 at all :lol:

Funny but the minute you can't have something you want it a lot more than is healthy :D

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 09 Jul 2009 01:31

I think we all should have saved our old PC s and then bought new monitors to be able to play our old favorites.
:D

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 09 Jul 2009 14:29

bene wrote:I think we all should have saved our old PC s and then bought new monitors to be able to play our old favorites.
:D
Haha yes indeed! Alas, a lot of custom levels mirror much of the textures from TR1 and have mutants and the wobbly jelly walls so that's at least something salvaged from TR1 :D