"Lara Croft faces female-friendly makeover after poor sales"

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

Mulf

"Lara Croft faces female-friendly makeover after poor sales"

Post by Mulf » 13 Jan 2009 07:43

I have the impression TR players agree across all denominations that Underworld was a step in the right direction, however high or low you may be rating that particular game, or Crystal Dynamics' efforts in general. However, it doesn't look as though they will be continuing along these lines: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 485017.ece

It's of course anybody's guess what "female-friendly" might be supposed to mean.

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: "Lara Croft faces female-friendly makeover after poor sales"

Post by bene » 13 Jan 2009 15:51

'female-friendly'?

hmmm That was not the concept that brought Lara to fame.

The more I think about this, the more I feel insulted.
How would sales figures denote the sex of the buyer, anyway?

justin

Post by justin » 14 Jan 2009 14:58

So after the TR franchise starts heading into the correct direction, they are going to change it?
Dark Skies loom...

avmaster
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Location: Gilching-Argelsried, small Villiage near Munich Germany

Post by avmaster » 14 Jan 2009 15:58

We also talked about it at LarasLevelbase. I think it is not a matter of female-friendly or male-friendly. I think the hardware requirements were too high for many players and they could not afford a new PC or didn`t want to upgrade their PC hardware. Lara has always been a tough girl. Fights and such things were always part of Tombraider since the first game. I don`t think that the majority of TR-Players(equal if male or female) wants a Lara who is more interested in fashion and housework than to raid tombs and battle with bad guys or evil creatures. I would not like a Lara who would spends the whole day at home, doing housework, cook and clean the house. That would be not our Lara, we are used to a tough girl not a Desperate Housewive. :lol:
Da Master

ImageImage
Next Octoberfest: Every year next one from 19.09.15 - 04.10.15

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 14 Jan 2009 16:06

Get rid of the check points, that is female-friendly for me :-P
Oops, I did it again... Image

Jenni

Post by Jenni » 14 Jan 2009 19:57

TR games have been rubbish since AOD - nuff said.

If only they'd listen to the players then maybe they'd get the formula right :roll:

Magnus
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Magnus » 14 Jan 2009 20:19

Jenni wrote:TR games have been rubbish since AOD - nuff said.
Didn't you just say that you've only played the first three games in another thread? :rolleyes:

Jenni

Post by Jenni » 14 Jan 2009 20:25

Yep

I've attempted AOD and didn't like it. Have read enough from others to know it's changed too much to no longer be enjoyable for me.

Magnus
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Magnus » 14 Jan 2009 21:09

Well, clearly you know what you're talking about, then. :rolleyes:

Jenni

Post by Jenni » 14 Jan 2009 21:23

Yep :wink:

Lisa The Second

Post by Lisa The Second » 16 Jan 2009 16:38

Jenni wrote:Yep

I've attempted AOD and didn't like it. Have read enough from others to know it's changed too much to no longer be enjoyable for me.
A thousand travel-guides isn't worth the real trip. :wink:

Moonpooka
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Moonpooka » 16 Jan 2009 19:58

Jenni wrote:Yep

I installed FF coz u siad to give it a good shot.. so, go load up AOD :-P LOL.. Well, i too tried to play it on release, and hated it. A few years later Linden talked me into giving it another go, and i got hooked. The graphics are lovely, and i had no control issues once i got used to the new style. It just seems a tad slow, but u also get used to that. I havent finished it yet tho coz i lost all my saves due to a format, and Lindens saves wouldnt run on my PC after i installed directx10.. :angry: Finish it i will tho :2thumbsup:

The other issue, that silly document i have just read linked in the 1st post. I am amazed how much crap folk can talk just to get their name on a web page. Firstly, maybe the sales went down coz CD TR games are rubbish compared to Core.. and Secondly, its not just a mans game. Where on earth did they get that idea from? :anxious: I also saw someone comment on the percentace of girls and guys who play TR.. also a load of old poppycock IMO. Do some folk think Laras boobies are the biggest reason the old games sold so well? If so, how shallow of them :roll: It gets me wondering tho, what the percentages are? I'd say pretty equal if u look at the members on TR forums.. Anyway, they can make Lara over as much as they want, for me, it won't make the games any better, not while CD have anything to do with them anyway :snobby:
We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 16 Jan 2009 20:37

Maybe if they got back to the tr1-5 kind of playing but with todays graphics, they would sell more :roll:

Underworld was great but it still will not come near tr1-5 IMO. I guess it is the same with bond movies. They can be really good but they are just action movies these days. Prolly me getting old and not so objective hehe.
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Jenni

Post by Jenni » 19 Jan 2009 08:39

Moonpooka wrote: I installed FF coz u siad to give it a good shot.. so, go load up AOD :-P LOL.. Well, i too tried to play it on release, and hated it. A few years later Linden talked me into giving it another go, and i got hooked. The graphics are lovely, and i had no control issues once i got used to the new style. It just seems a tad slow, but u also get used to that. I havent finished it yet tho coz i lost all my saves due to a format, and Lindens saves wouldnt run on my PC after i installed directx10.. :angry: Finish it i will tho :2thumbsup:
Fair enough - I will play AOD. How are you enjoying FF so far - or are you still in "just tolerating" mode? :wink:

@ Magnus - sorry, I tell a lie - I have also played Last Revelation and Chronicles. I don't think I quite finished Last Revelation though.