Tomb Raider Underworld

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

troublewolf

Post by troublewolf » 13 Dec 2008 22:56

:( My memory should be good...it's 700 something. I suspect its the graphics card. I would update that but worry the motherboard wouldnt take it. I wish I was more computer lit.! I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to be of a real help! Grrrrrrrr! :roll:
"ignorance can be cured but stupidity is forever"

JunoJim

Post by JunoJim » 14 Dec 2008 02:13

Try your "Start" button in the lower left corner of your desktop, then select "run" from the list just above. type dxdiag in the box that comes up, then click on "OK".

This will show you the basic specs of your computer - Processor, Memory, near the bottom.

If you click the "Display" tab, it will show you what graphics card you're running...

Also -

I think the TRU program needs about 8G (8000M) of disk space.

700 something sounds unusual, maybe that's your disk space, which is different from Memory...

Of course you should already have DirectX 9.0 - mine is 9.0c - I think it's provided on the TRU disk...

Hope this helps...

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 14 Dec 2008 03:26

If your memory's 700 something, it's probably 768, which sounds like an upgraded 512. Either way, I don't think you're going to have much fun with TRU, if it installs properly at all.

[Actually I've edited this 2 times. Now 3 times.]
Last edited by Mulf on 14 Dec 2008 04:22, edited 2 times in total.

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 14 Dec 2008 03:52

I have a dual core 3ghz with 4 gig ram (well only 3.2 in XP *sigh*) and a cheap 256 meg graphics card. TRU runs really crappy on that PC....It's all about the graphics card :)
At least when you have a decent pc with at least 1-2gig or ram.

It runs a bit faster in vista actually but I guess that is due to directx 10.
Overall its almost not possible to play it with the lowest settings...

Anyway...I bought it on my 360 instead, and it runs fine without any need for upgrades hehe. A good graphics card==3X the cost of the 360 game :)
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

JunoJim

Post by JunoJim » 14 Dec 2008 21:24

It's been so long, I never even thought of 256M memory, but if it is 768M total, that's way below what you need. However, the graphics card is the key, also, you need at least a 2.5GHz (maybe more...) Pentium 4. I've had to buy a new graphics card every few years...

However - it's a LOT cheaper than a new console game, and you can do patches, etc on a PC, that you can't on a console, plus a PC does all the other stuff that a PC does...

I wonder where we're headed with home entertainment... Vista seems to suggest all visual entertainment will use a PC, but I'll bet all the consoles will drive a flat screen... are there options to connect a PC through a console, or vice versa ???

I Know - we're getting way off topic... I'm in Mexico, just about to try the bike ride...

justin

Post by justin » 15 Dec 2008 19:56

I'd have to recommend this game for the 360 either way (assuming one has a 360)
Dark Skies loom...

JunoJim

Post by JunoJim » 16 Dec 2008 03:01

Well, if it'll play on what you already have, I'd recommend it to any Tomb Raider !!!

I'm really liking this one - not so intense so far... beautiful scenery, and fantastic realism, especially thinking back to the pointy-boobed TR1 Lara :D

Also, they finally have her stop herself, when running into walls, and saying umph !!!

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 16 Dec 2008 03:07

JunoJim wrote:However - it's a LOT cheaper than a new console game, and you can do patches, etc on a PC, that you can't on a console, plus a PC does all the other stuff that a PC does...
Ehhr..no. A good graphics card costs about 3 times the price for the console game. Maybe you are thinking about the console itself? Well then you are right. Also..Granted..PC games are like 10-15$ cheaper than console games.

And yes, you can download stuff and get patches with the new consoles like 360, ps3 etc. Also with Underworld there are a new exclusive downloadable mini adventure coming up soon for download :) You can also connect the 360 with your pc to do all kinds of things.

I agree with all the other stuff though. I could not live without my pc but for gaming, I prefer consoles (Except for first person shooters!) Anyway, back to the topic and good luck in Mexico :D
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

troublewolf

Post by troublewolf » 16 Dec 2008 19:54

:( well it sounds like I really need a 360 toplay TRU. I've looked into them...don't understand exactely which player to buy...there seems to be different types!(price wize and power) No one I know games so I have no one to ask plus I'm in retail and I know the sales people at stores have to push certain items...not neccesarily for my good either! Plus I know a 360 is pricey.
My physical memory is 768. Does any know how I can find out if the computer would even handle a newer graphics card? Or what is the least power it would take to run TRU? Everyone has been great about helping and I wish to thank everyone! :2thumbsup:

JunoJim

Post by JunoJim » 17 Dec 2008 02:52

Well, once again deviating slightly from TRU, it sounds like your present computer would not be worth "upgrading", just to play TRU.

You can read the discussions above, but I still prefer to use a computer, rather than a console, to play games. And, there's also the fact that computers do many more other things as well, although I think the line between the two will start to converge...

If I were you, I would look around for a used computer. There are always people getting rid of a nearly new one, just to stay on the cutting edge.

From the TRU disk System Requirements:

The minimum system requirements are as follows:

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Microsoft Windows XP (admin rights required)/Microsoft Windows Vista (admin rights required)
CPU:
Intel Pentium 4 3+GHz or AMD Athlon 2.5+GHz
RAM:
1GB (Windows XP) / 2GB (Windows Vista) system memory
GRAPHICS:
NVIDIA GeForce 6 series 6800GT (or better) / ATI 1800XT (or better)
SOUND:
Direct X 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers
DVD-ROM:
DVD-ROM drive
HARD DRIVE:
8 GB Free Space
INPUT DEVICES:
Keyboard and mouse

As I've said, I'm operating at the lower limit of these requirements. In fact, back on topic, I lost control of Lara in Mexico. I could just barely get her onto the motorcycle (had partial control), but off the 'cycle, she would start walking away, until she ran into a barrier of some kind - very curious...

I rebooted, and she works fine now, but I probably need an upgrade myself... :D

troublewolf

Post by troublewolf » 17 Dec 2008 18:26

I would prefer to stay with a PC. Heres what it says I've got.
AMD Athlon XP processor 2600+ (2.08 Ghz)
120 GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
Nvidia Geforce 4MX
768 DDR SDRAM memory (upgraded from 512)
I've used the PC from day one and am used to it. It looks like the graphics card is my downfall.
Oh well! If I can't play it, I can't! I'll just have to re-play the others!
Everyone, Thanks for your time and efforts! :2thumbsup:

Linden
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Linden » 17 Dec 2008 22:46

troublewolf wrote: Nvidia Geforce 4MX
I had that exact same card, and i can tell you that it doesnt run with it.

but ... what i came to say is that this game is even more bugy than AoD... oh yes it is Magnus. :-P

Stewart

Post by Stewart » 18 Dec 2008 01:31

No game is ever bug free.
(more funny TRU pics http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=141652 )
Theory and logic say yes, but life says no.

JunoJim

Post by JunoJim » 18 Dec 2008 02:47

LOL - now that's a funny one - weird... :?

It was funny for a few minutes, when I lost control of Lara, but i got tired really quickly of her doing her own thing, and ran her into a spiked pit !!!

BTW - I finally made that timed run, and ended Mexico - what a ride that is !!! - I actually went through several training runs, to get the terrian down, so I could blast through at full throttle... :D

JunoJim

Post by JunoJim » 18 Dec 2008 02:55

troublewolf wrote:I would prefer to stay with a PC. Heres what it says I've got.
AMD Athlon XP processor 2600+ (2.08 Ghz)
120 GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
Nvidia Geforce 4MX
768 DDR SDRAM memory (upgraded from 512)
I've used the PC from day one and am used to it. It looks like the graphics card is my downfall.
Oh well! If I can't play it, I can't! I'll just have to re-play the others!
Everyone, Thanks for your time and efforts! :2thumbsup:
Yea - even if you can fit an upgraded graphics card, you probably are still limited by memory capability. I can only go to 2G, and running at 1.5 is giving me problems...

Maybe Santa Clause will bring you a new 'puter...

Do you have Santa "down under" ??? I think you live in Austrailia, right mate ???

Wait - it's all coming back - I think I sent you that extra 256M a loooong time ago - thanks again for the tee shirt !!!

Are you that person, or am I loosing it ???