TOMB Raider Anniversary - A BIG FIASCO

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

Linden
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Linden » 13 Oct 2007 12:15

Ok, here's my "review" ... i posted it on Levelbase too so mind me posting it here ... and because revised is the word of today, this is revised version. :lol:

What can i say ... Crystal Dynamics just dont know anything about Tomb Raider. We all noticed it from TR Legend already.

The controls; they were even more horrible than they were in Legend. Swimming was still really awkward, ...i mean why using so many different buttons for swimming?
You cant map the keyboard so that it comes even CLOSE to original games cause Crystal Dynamics made that impossible. For example: if you try to map SHOOT and ACTION in a same button, you cant, cause Lara would just shoot when you try to pick something up.

Also, the controls are really slow. You notice it forexample when you make a jump and grab on a ledge and when you try to press UP you have to wait while Lara ends the previous animation before she can start the climbing up animation. I ended up a technique where i always pressed the UP button repeatedly like this "TAP TAP TAP" and Lara only started to climb up with the last TAP. I found this REALLY annoying and it was even more annoying than AoD's slow controls, cause you could get use to those, but you couldnt get use to these, cause the animations and moves are so fast otherwise.

The automated jumps are just boring. You dont even have to concentrate in jumps, you just press jump and Lara makes them everytime. This ended up being really boring and (did i say that already?) you ended up looking away when Lara jumps and jumps and jumps and you dont even have to look if she was jumping in the correct direction... cause well, she made the jumps anyway.
Good example would be the jumps on top of the poles... It was just ridiculous. You could sometimes make the jumps with your eyes close, just buy pressin 3 keys: FORWARD, JUMP and ACTION to keep the balance.

Puzzles...? Were there any puzzles? ... oh yeah, there was that one that looked like you are suppose to step on 4 tiles to make the door open while a lightning ball was striking ... i ran over the 4 tiles in first order that first came in mind and the door opened. The lighting didnt strike Lara even once.
I had to check the walkthrough to make sure there wasnt any bigger meaning in this "puzzle", but nope, there wasnt, it was just Crystal Dynamics' idea of puzzle, i guess :roll:

Exploring... Tomb Raider was originally all about exploring but Crystal Dynamics killed it already in Legend. Now they tried to make places you can "explore" but thats not exploring, thats just rubbish. If you really try to explore, you just find invisible walls and ledges that were not programmed to jump on. There must have been hundreds of them in this game.

Enemies ... well, most of them just stood there waiting to be shot. Sometimes you just had to climb a few steps up and shoot the animals cold blood. Sometimes a bear could stand next to Lara roaring and she could just stand there and shoot it.
Oh but then the "boss" enemies. Oh yeah, lets make them really really hard to kill. ... oh yeah, and lets use that "do something like 4 times" again, cause i think that was really cool .. oh and lets put there some stupid button compinations to make it even more annoying.... but to be enough childish, lets put a stupid interactive cutscene in the end of them ALL!
:jump:

Gameplay ... this is so linear game. There isnt really anything else except straight forward. Like i said, no exploring, just a few secrets and thats all. I mean, there wasnt this "where to now" moment even once. You always know where to go next.

After all, only good thing what Crystal Dynamics knows how to do, is the rooms. They look nice. Maybe over all too gray but good anyway. ... but well, im not playing games because of good graphics...

Crystal Dynamics really should hire some people from the original Tomb Raider team (no, not the commercial clown Toby Gard, who doesnt anything about Tomb Raider) and let them build the GAME, and only build the rooms theirselves.
... or hire a few custom level builders from here god damn it. :roll:

Shady Croft

Post by Shady Croft » 15 Oct 2007 12:46

Linden wrote:After all, only good thing what Crystal Dynamics knows how to do, is the rooms. They look nice. Maybe over all too gray but good anyway. ... but well, im not playing games because of good graphics...

I agree...I really like their graphics and the environment but the game lacks good gameplay. Anni. had more going on than Legend (but still miles away from the original) so am hoping TR8 will have ALOT more and is close to the original...well, am not really waitting for it impatiently anymore.
Crystal Dynamics really should hire some people from the original Tomb Raider team (no, not the commercial clown Toby Gard, who doesnt anything about Tomb Raider) and let them build the GAME, and only build the rooms theirselves.
... or hire a few custom level builders from here god damn it.
I agree with the latter...there are so many builders here who kick @$$.
KameloT

Linden
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Linden » 22 Oct 2007 13:19

Shady Croft wrote: so am hoping TR8 will have ALOT more and is close to the original...well, am not really waitting for it impatiently anymore.
YEah, dont wait to hard cause im afraid they have already gone too far with this crap. Too many people bought these two games ... why would they change anything? :-P

... oh yes, there are those few die hard fans who want back the original, but f*** them, its money we want, not fans.

anya marie mcdonald

Post by anya marie mcdonald » 09 Nov 2007 21:36

i have only played the demos of both TRA & TRL, but from them i have come to the conclusion that EIDOS is now looking to make only money off of TR, if they were not then they would have listened to people like us who have been with lara since the beginning when we talked about how awfull AOD was.

the only redeeming quality of both TRA & TRL was the graphics, but what good is eye candy if one cannot enjoy it, like we did with TR 1-5.
anya
what's ment to be will allways find a way

moonliteshadow

Post by moonliteshadow » 20 Nov 2007 08:18

I just finished it a couple of weeks ago - we had to wait for ages here in oz. I couldn't download it even tho' It was available to download from sites in other places :angry: Anyway, I did enoy it altho' got frustrated with those darned rope swings and adrenalin dodges on more that one occasion!! I think I enjoyed the manor most :lol: I keep promising myself I'm going to use my gamepad for all games but am so used to the keyboard with the real TR. :roll: Anyway, as I said I enjoyed TRA but glad to get back to the real TR :2thumbsup:

beachnutt

Post by beachnutt » 05 Apr 2008 19:34

I just downloaded the demo for Mac. The graphics are absolutely stunning! On the other hand, the controls are very confusing. Maybe after playing a while, I will get a better grip on them? :? :? :?
Go on! Dance like nobody is watching!

Ashley

Post by Ashley » 08 Apr 2008 02:31

I played it on my Ps2.
The controls were ok,and I fouund nintey-eight percent of it quite easy.
The game camera was not the best in some spots.
It is quite a beautiful game,but almost every room was the same thing. Grab a ledge, Jump to another ledge. Use grappling hook.
Overall I think most of it was fun.

(Spolier for those who have not played it yet.)
The only part of it I found impossible to get through was the timed pole swing/ledge jumps/grapple hook sequence near the end in that room where the lava is rising up that vertical shaft. I timed it and Lara has around 18 seconds to do some very awkard and complex jumps, pole swings, grapple hooking stuff. Plus killing those flying monsters at the start of it all as the ledge slowly moves back toward the wall. Lara fell into the lava below around fifty times,in that area,so after she died the very last time I placed the disk in the Ps2 box and I have only replayed some areas I liked the looks of. Not fun imo.
I blame a lot of the problems I had in that spot on the game camera.

What made me really laugh was that I had tripped all the blade traps in the Egyptian level,and I got through that level with Lara only dying once or twice,and yet I could not make it through that awful timed sequence.

I did enjoy legends,but I wish it would have had less enemies and more exploration and puzzle solving.

I think both games were pretty decent,but I still prefer Tomb Raider 1 and the Unfiinshed Business expansion over Tr:anniversary.

Spike
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Spike » 08 Apr 2008 08:45

Ashley wrote:The only part of it I found impossible to get through was the timed pole swing/ledge jumps/grapple hook sequence near the end in that room where the lava is rising up that vertical shaft. I timed it and Lara has around 18 seconds to do some very awkard and complex jumps, pole swings, grapple hooking stuff.
You're not alone, about 99% of us hated that part either because of the controls, time limit or fiddly camera angle. :wreck: Still, everything after that is nowhere near as difficult, so if you ever manage to get past it then the rest of the game should be enjoyable. :)

shandroid

Post by shandroid » 10 Apr 2008 16:25

Regarding the grapple/wall run, I liked the idea quite a lot, but I think it needed to be tweaked, since it rarely worked like it should have. I had immense trouble at that spot, and in Egypt there were at least three spots where I was ready to pull my hair out over that grapple/wall run.

Jenni

Post by Jenni » 11 Apr 2008 22:45

I don't understand a lot of this checkpoint and adrenalin shot stuff (assume you can't save where and when you want?).
I have added this to my watchlist on an auction (as well as Legend) and wonder if it's going to be worth it? I'm sure I played the demo but don't think my graphics card is up to snuff - it's 128MB and I thought it would be as it was jerking constantly.

eRIC
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by eRIC » 12 Apr 2008 10:09

Spike wrote:
Ashley wrote:The only part of it I found impossible to get through was the timed pole swing/ledge jumps/grapple hook sequence near the end in that room where the lava is rising up that vertical shaft. I timed it and Lara has around 18 seconds to do some very awkard and complex jumps, pole swings, grapple hooking stuff.
You're not alone, about 99% of us hated that part either because of the controls, time limit or fiddly camera angle. :wreck: Still, everything after that is nowhere near as difficult, so if you ever manage to get past it then the rest of the game should be enjoyable. :)
I've not played the game, but one of my colleagues at work has given up the game at this point , he is very perseverant but could not endure it anymore.

Kitkat
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Kitkat » 12 Apr 2008 10:22

Jenni wrote: and wonder if it's going to be worth it?
As far as I'm concerned: "It's Tomb Raider - It's worth it." I know not everyone shares my point of view. Yes, the controls are awkward to begin with, as most of us are very used to the TR4 controls, as we play lots of custom levels, but you will get used to them. There are some great moments in this game. Give it a try, I hope you enjoy it. I did.

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 18 Apr 2008 20:38

I started playing Anniversary again a few days ago. It is my second time playing through the game and this time my goal is to get every artefact and relic playing at the hardest difficulty. So far I'm at the egypt levels and I must say that I like this game even better than the first time!

Besides the controls (some parts you get use to some never :roll: ) It is a fantastic game with great gameplay value. (It is also nice to see all the areas and the fine textures which I have ripped and used in my levels :lol: )

For those of you who has yet to try it, it is much better than Legend. The best of the last 3 tombraider games, that's for sure :2thumbsup:

*expecting a post from Linden very soon* :wink:
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 18 Apr 2008 21:39

Before Linden says something, maybe I'll try it sometime in the not too distant future just to be able to really criticize it, lol. But besides the awkward commands that I tried in the demo from Legend (can't they really do it better?), I get tired of all that jungle/tombs environments. Gimme something varied, please!

Jenni

Post by Jenni » 20 Apr 2008 22:35

It seems the controls are the most buggy part of the game - so assume controls are completely revamped? In what way? I'm an original psx gamer so use a psx gamepad to play TR on the PC - would it be hard to convert to the new controls using the gamepad?