TOMB Raider Anniversary - A BIG FIASCO

news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

veronia

Post by veronia » 20 Jun 2008 18:07

On consoles the point of TR is sort of lost, it's all so slippery and unreal.
yaoza.

Stewart

Post by Stewart » 20 Jun 2008 18:37

Has anybody played anniversary on pc? I'd like to buy one of the newer games and try it on my pc, but which one do you recommend then?
i did and... it makes the game even worse than it is already, first you need a really good video card, (if not youll be playing in slideshow mode) also the keyboard controls are really diffucult, + no vibration kind of ruins the feel of the game
Theory and logic say yes, but life says no.

justin

Post by justin » 20 Jun 2008 18:41

I'd recommend every game for the XBOX over PC or PS2/3

but this is coming from a non-pc gamer, PCs are generally better in every aspect
Dark Skies loom...

Will Raider

Post by Will Raider » 20 Jun 2008 18:56

i agree PC's are far better, wish i had a PC controller though haha, it gets sore when using the keyboard after a while haha :P

justin

Post by justin » 20 Jun 2008 19:07

I know, so glad you can fully customize the controls for the original TR games on the PC, and no annoying camera issues. For games with full camera controls, a game control makes it much better (XBOX controller rules btw)
Dark Skies loom...

Will Raider

Post by Will Raider » 20 Jun 2008 19:14

nice one, tell me what would be the best controller make for a vista PC and tomb raider so i can get really cracking at these custom levels haha ;]

justin

Post by justin » 20 Jun 2008 19:17

I think I prefer the keyboard for old TR games, such as the custom levels.

If i had to get a controller, i'd just hook my wireless 360 controller up, or get a regular 360 controller for it :) (granted they are pricey)
Dark Skies loom...

Will Raider

Post by Will Raider » 20 Jun 2008 20:00

haha yeah i almost forgot that xbox was made by microsoft, so yeah ill have to try that out :]

Jack&
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Jack& » 12 Jul 2008 03:29

well i have listen all the argues around TR - Cristal Dinamics games .....manny off game producers think that is enuff to make some eye candy graphics to sell own games ........well in the New TR games the exploration wich was the essence off good old TR games was dumbed down u cannot jump on a ledge even is is aparently reachable iff the builders dont designed so the paths are very linear and boring , lara move blocky have lost the smooth walk, run ,swim feature .. from old games .. also checkpoints are silly and wrong placed ..all in all new TR games have comercial feeling only but quality off them is 0 except graphics .........
Hasta la Vista Baby ;)

Shady Croft

Post by Shady Croft » 12 Jul 2008 09:51

Yes, Jack, all you've mentioned is true.
Jack& wrote:well in the New TR games the exploration wich was the essence off good old TR games was dumbed down u cannot jump on a ledge even is is aparently reachable iff the builders dont designed so the paths are very linear and boring , lara move blocky have lost the smooth walk, run ,swim feature .. from old games .. also checkpoints are silly and wrong placed ..all in all new TR games have comercial feeling only but quality off them is 0 except graphics ........
and in TRA, stupid white, shiny and polished ledges were EVERYWHERE! placed ready for you to hop on and follow all the way to the end, limiting exploration which is a big NO NO in any TR game.
But about having lost her smooth walk, run and swim, I disagree. In Legend and TRA, imo, Lara was just TOO smooth.

Underworld has a new engine. Most surfaces (if not all) are climbable. Ofcourse, this is all magazine and developers talk, we have to see first to believe.
KameloT

Jack&
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Jack& » 14 Jul 2008 09:54

anyone have different opinions ...from my point off view Official TR games ended for me with TR 4(The Last Revelation) and beggin again with thos marvelous custom games around- much better than any official TR game at my opinion :2thumbsup:
Hasta la Vista Baby ;)

troublewolf

Post by troublewolf » 02 Dec 2008 15:07

I've always used the keyboard...but as my hands have gotten worse with my RA, it's gotten harder to do timed runs and such. I did get a Logitech duel action controller but its been hard for me to get use to. Has anyone got the best way to program the keys? I've never played any game boxes so the controller is a bit strange to me. :?
"ignorance can be cured but stupidity is forever"

RoboGundam6

Re: TOMB Raider Anniversary - A BIG FIASCO

Post by RoboGundam6 » 02 Dec 2009 02:15

I played most (80%) the TR games on the PC so basically all the controls were the same for each game, expect for Anniversary, where I could choose any button other than the presets for any action if I wanted. I controls were not clumsy for me, except for the grapple , I swear I once grappled INTO a wall. Very cool yet strange.
I know some parts needed more finishing, but I loved the game and only once I got stuck in a wall! Besides the grip on edges was very forgiving for me, I made most of them. On my laptop the game had no problems, yet oddly I had the most glitches when I put the game on my desktop. The Fire Room didn't ignite, and thats where I got stuck in the wall once in Natla's Volcano.
Image Image

reborn1995

Post by reborn1995 » 02 Dec 2009 06:15

i bought my son TRA last xmas. i played it with him a little at first. Other than that i watch him play it. It really is so terribly limiting. i feel controlled by the game rather than the other way around. Explorability and diverging/multiply-possible paths is not just what made the older games great, but it's what has given them staying power. Admit it, you could pull out The Lost Artifact or TR1 once every year and play them straight through and it would still be a blast. i really don't see that the newer games have that kind of replay-ability.

i think the graphic improvement was a great move, but it's not enough. On one level, hey, it doesn't matter. i can always go play the old games, and what's even better is that there are more custom levels online than i will probably ever be able to play.

But on another level it is really upsetting. If the game-companies keep producing crappy TR games then our beloved franchise goes away (in terms of new games). i felt the same way about the Star Trek: Next Generation movies. This most recent Star Trek was a real blockbuster and has reinvigorated the franchise altogether. i liked the movie, but i was wondering why the ST:TNG producers couldn't have been smart enough to make the last couple TNG movies into blockbusters. Sadly, the last two TNG movies weren't that great, and as a result, no more TNG movies. i'd hate to think the same could happen to Tombraider games.

--Guy
Your life is an occasion. Rise to it. -Mr. Magorium

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 25 Nov 2010 20:25

Is Anniversary better than TR1? I don't mean about graphics or new moves, but about story. Many things have changed. Centaurs are the bosses, Cowboy was deleted and it's a shame about it. Fight with Natla, T-Rex, Centaurs or Torso were the best of all games. Using adrenalin was perfect idea. Nice was also interactive cutscene with killing Larson. Who would have thought that story will have something in common with Legend.