news/discussions

Moderator: Tinka

Jack&
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

TOMB Raider Anniversary - A BIG FIASCO

Post by Jack& » 09 Jun 2007 13:06

i agree everyone about the controls, it just seems that the controls
( which i think are clumsy anyway ) get worse at a crucial moment.
The original game gave us much more freedom as you could grab any edge you could reach, in this version you can only grab what your supposed to grab thus most of the enviroment becomes untouchable and therefor less real
and basically puts the game on rails. Saying all that, i think the graphics are fantastic and the game was enjoyable but i missed the original music and i missed not being able to REALLY explore. They did some levels justice, most of Egypt was very good infact i don't think they missed a section that was present in original but apart from the oblisk and the underwater room below the sphinx all the levels were scaled down in size and content. One level i was looking forward to was Sactuary of the Scion, one of my faves from original, i was so dissapointed, the sphinx in the original was twice the size as was the whole chamber, it was the same with the Collusium, it had shrunk in size...i was expecting the opposite. Lets face it, there was no way they were going to better the original or equal it for that matter. All in all i enjoyed playing it but the point of playing this game was just to see what the levels looked like compared to original.

i dunno why i have the impression that this game is unfinished and unpolished ................... this new tomb raider game feels like a a bad ported PS2 game on PC..controls are crapp cameras the same and this 2 ruin a game wich should be good in the older tomb raider games lara run in the field and cameras folow her from behind at this ''bad joke'' TR game feel like lara stand and the field move around her not her on the field.......the run and turns are very brutal ..pointless..........and the game play very linear ...the rooms and areas are very small...........i remember another brilliant game wich was ruined this way exactly .......... iff someone remember Deus Ex the first game was a masterpiece ............. the continuation was a crapp just like this tomb raider game cos bad awkward controls and cameras ...here out on the internet are manny custom levels 1000 x better ones like this new TR game .............very sad .......
Hasta la Vista Baby ;)

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 10 Jun 2007 09:43

I have to agree on the controls thing, I'm using an xbox 360 controller and while this has made controlling the game easier, jumps are still a leap of faith and Lara very often jumps in a completly different direction from the one intended. All this does is make the game very frustrating to play.

Combat is also more difficult due to not being able to move as easily as in older games. The checkpoint save system is a joke, if you die it means you have to replay a lot of the level again, the old save system was far better.

The graphics are fantastic but that's about all that is good about it. I don't think the game has much of a replay value, unlike TR1- 4 and a lot of the custom levels.
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 10 Jun 2007 13:37

I haven't played Legend (only the demo) and I don't intend to play Anniversary. For all I know, TR (except for the custom levels and the originals to 5 plus maybe, just maybe AoD) is dead. A game that lost its strong points and its personality. Maybe one day I'll change my mind...

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 10 Jun 2007 13:58

It seems that apart from custom levels the old Tomb Raider we all loved is dead. TRA follows the same style as Legend, and I think any future games will just be more of same. TRA looks great but somehow it's just not Tomb Raider any more. :(

Jack&
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Jack& » 10 Jun 2007 14:22

i totaly agree with u bedazzled.........with this new Tomb Raider series Eidos screw it off........good graphics without good smooth and intuitive controls are nothing........and the official series get worse and worse wich every new releases .. :cry: ......and i quess even the reason why ........look ....... all famous designers wich make the first TR series was left the ship..........Eidos get worry to not loose the big money source from the moust famous and succesful game in the history and give the development at a studio wich canot handle the jobb from simply motive that never make such imerssive complex game before...............the result is what we all see ........... A BIG FIASCO....and the future is not bright at all .... :angry: i think the guys from Cristal Dinamics never played the old famous series cos the controls are insane pointles and clumsy..........another brilliant game die.. :embarassed: hopeful for all us are here alot of great custom TR game builders wich make brilliant games and keep alive the TR fame and history forever......
Hasta la Vista Baby ;)

Magnus
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Magnus » 10 Jun 2007 14:48

Well............ I liked......... the game...... :anxious:

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 10 Jun 2007 15:32

That's the thing Jack&, Eidos handed Lara over to people who have no idea how to design a Tomb Raider game. The people at Core Design knew what made Tomb Raider great. We've now had two games from Crystal Dynamics both of which are crap in several respects. It's obvious they did not listen to peoples comments about Legend, or if they did, it fell on deaf ears. It's just put another nail in the Tomb Raider coffin.

I think we just have to live with the fact that Tomb Raider is dead. Even the custom levels will die off, because people will get sick of the same old puzzles ect.

Some of the top level builders are throwing the towel in due to the review system . And look at the number of demo levels which are being released. Also the number of levels which have not been tested properly, and are unplayable due to the bugs in them.

Magnus
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Magnus » 10 Jun 2007 15:49

bedazzled wrote:The people at Core Design knew what made Tomb Raider great.
*Cough* The Angel of Darkness *Cough*

TC 14
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by TC 14 » 10 Jun 2007 15:52

bedazzled wrote:I think we just have to live with the fact that Tomb Raider is dead. Even the custom levels will die off, because people will get sick of the same old puzzles ect.

Some of the top level builders are throwing the towel in due to the review system . And look at the number of demo levels which are being released. Also the number of levels which have not been tested properly, and are unplayable due to the bugs in them.
Not really the discussion there but I don't agree with this. I think people should already have got sick of the same puzzles for a while if they had to.

And the future looks bright with NGLE too... :roll:

Btw, even though I agree TRA is more like a PoP remake of TR1 than a real TR, I still enjoy the game very much and it's a thouusand times better than its demo named Legend. :)

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 10 Jun 2007 16:16

Magnus wrote:
bedazzled wrote:The people at Core Design knew what made Tomb Raider great.
*Cough* The Angel of Darkness *Cough*

That was the exception to the rule. :)

Magnus
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Magnus » 10 Jun 2007 16:24

Tomb Raider Chronicles wasn't that great, either.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 10 Jun 2007 17:10

Just the same as you liked Anniversary, I liked Chronicles. :)

sprysiazni

Post by sprysiazni » 10 Jun 2007 22:04

You dont know how good something is until its gone.The best hope for improvements is ngle, for the great grid based game engine.if resolution could be improved,you would have a wicked engine.Its more than obvious by now,nobody can do anything with the clumsy movement of lara with this 1st person console engine.checkpoints anybody? :D
Scotty beam me up

Jack&
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Jack& » 11 Jun 2007 04:05

i agree at 1 point with bedazled ........ eidos get the jobb at a studio wich never make so imersive complex game and screw it off .. what u doo with good graphics iff the game is allmoust unplayable cos crapp controls and movement ?? nothing -......... and not agree that TR custom games will die ...... cos the good things never die ... - to return at previous speech . i must ask u hardcore TR players like me ...... why the old TR team not join Cristal Dinamics and cooperate for making the new series ?? ............ cos all see that the engine wich Cristal Dinamics make is not adapted to gameplay wich need to shine TR like at old good times .i could enumerate alot off games wich was brilliant at first and get crapp after development team changed ....... - Hitman 1 was a masterpiece all continuations a bad joke / Deus Ex 1 was brilliant ......... continuation ?? crapp and manny more .......... iff the next TR games will be maked from the same team - Cristal Dinamics - nothing good to expect in the future ....... in this new TR game when u move u feel like u stay at place and the areea turn around u ........cos the rotation axis was build around Lara not like the old but good engine - in wich lara move on the field- not the field turn with Lara ............ well this is it ... we will still could be happy to play alot off good custom levels from builders wich are 1000 x better than the ones at Cristal Dinamics wich make this bad joke new TR game
Hasta la Vista Baby ;)

Magnus
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Magnus » 11 Jun 2007 17:09

As far as I know, both Deus Ex games and the entire Hitman series were made by the same development teams. And for that matter, I regard the fourth Hitman game as the best in the series. :rolleyes: