The Russian Base revised

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

dinne

The Russian Base revised

Post by dinne » 22 Dec 2019 13:02

Hi, I am the author of the Russian Base, this was my frist level and I learnt really a lot by watching others playing on Twitch and by reading the meticulous reviews.
So, thanks to everyone. :)

I am currently fixing this level accordingly to the main critiques I received, so for example I am:
- Removing a lot of backtracking by connecting more areas (with new rooms) and moving elsewhere some switches
- Adding more visual hints, like cameras etc
- Using a slightly larger set of textures and static objects to be able to diversificate more some areas
- Making some zones already visible in advance, when not yet accessible
- Making some areas simply a bit more interesting, or more sensed structurally
- Making some parts a bit easier
- Making some things more visible and more intuitive
I know that someone complained about enemies, I know really everything and I took notes about little things, but I decided to not fix some things because I had made them like that on purpose.

I don't know what to do in terms of publication, because this fix is actually a "fix" and the level appears to be the same and with (circa) the same steps, story, objects etc. So it may be right to simply upload the same package on the same level, here. But at the same time there are some new areas here and there, some steps are sligthly different (it will be required another video walkthrough that I will provide anyway) and modifications to the written walkthrough (that I will provide too), so maybe it's better to make a new level entry here, calling it "The Russian Base fixed" or something like this.
I don't know what is better to do, what it will seem more appropriate...

Teone
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: The Russian Base revised

Post by Teone » 22 Dec 2019 13:26

The most appropriate title is "The Russian Base Rebake" :lol:

I'm joking, of course. In my opinion you should simply do an update instead of a second release.
No matter if there are new areas and the WT is a little different. It's the same game, in any case.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 22 Dec 2019 16:01

It's only my opinion but, yes, I'd post (if Michael agreed to it) a second version - and Russian Base Fixed would be just fine.

Especially because early reviews (a lot of them) could start making less sense. I think...

Teone
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Teone » 22 Dec 2019 17:50

If you use the keyword "fixed" in the search engine you find no match!
Instead you find some matches with the keyword "revised" but -excluding the revisitations of the official TR Games- there are few revised version and the reviewers mostly give the same votes. IMO a revised version should have stronger differences than some corrections based on the streamers comments.

dinne, your game is amazing. Let it be. I'd prefer you to start thinking about the next project.

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 22 Dec 2019 18:01

I agree. Your game was a bit of a shooter, but I thought that the atmosphere, layout and puzzles were spot on and I reflected this in my review. Kudos for a first effort. :2thumbsup:
No one but ourselves can free our minds...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 22 Dec 2019 19:05

But I think dinne has crafted a semi-new level... Should he bin it?

Ok. What about Russian Base Version 2? That is if you want it?

My point is, at least to some extent, DJ has released Rebaked for what I assume to be much, much less.

dinne

Post by dinne » 22 Dec 2019 19:21

I'm just asking what is the most common "convenient practice", in these cases. I may upload a new one and deleting the download for the previous version actually... I've seen some levels not available for download "for decision of the author".
I don't care about having low reviews still there, but I wonder anyway if, when someone updates a level, the reviews can be changed from who wants. Since the level has about 8.7 I doubt someone will play it again after it gets hidden by the second page of the most recent levels. Or that someone even notices it has been updated.
These are things that I don't know how they usually work here...

I am subscribed to BtB so I think there will be a next project :p But first, I want to finish the Russian Base as I think it can be as optimized... Letting the questionable things being questionable by my choice and not because I hadn't enough time to fix (because of CaC deadline + inexperience).
I have almost finished, in January it will be completed.

Torry
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Torry » 22 Dec 2019 23:18

I would be more than happy to see a "fixed" version before I attempt this........ :roll:

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 22 Dec 2019 23:42

Here's my two cents' worth: Replace the existing level with the revised level. Note that fact (and the revision release date) on the level info page. The updated walkthroughs will deal with all changes in gameplay. No name change necessary.

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 22 Dec 2019 23:46

That's not a bad idea. Any future reviews that come in will clearly be for the revised version and there will be no problem. Similar to Fabio's Florianopolis if my memory serves me.
No one but ourselves can free our minds...

dinne

Post by dinne » 24 Dec 2019 12:47

Thanks for the opinions, then I will reupload the level on the same entry, modifying the walkthrough etc. I will also write things about the reviews (that they refer to a previous version etc).

I will advise here too and in other places, when it's released. :) I don't expect to see people replaying this in mass, but at least someone probably will. And more important, I'll be satisfied. :p

Teone
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Teone » 02 Feb 2020 13:56

I notice now that the revised version is online since few days.
Let's go take a look, before memory of the original version vanish. :)

EDIT:
Finished playing!
This revised version is even better than the first release. :2thumbsup:
Nice job! You deserve a review :wink: