Moderator: Gerty

Phil
Mod
Mod

Re: Overly Complex Levels

Post by Phil » 10 Mar 2020 23:31

Ryan wrote:
10 Mar 2020 17:33
I agree that playing these fondly remembered classics helps pass the time in between new releases. :2thumbsup:
And it gives our cherished builders renewed encouragement, knowing that their labors of love have not dissipated in the sands of time.

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 11 Mar 2020 00:22

Hear, hear! :)
No one but ourselves can free our minds...

nad

Post by nad » 11 Mar 2020 12:29

Phil wrote:
10 Mar 2020 13:02
We just need a new level or two to play. Only four in February and none so far in March.
I think most level builders work for their contribution to BtB (50 requests :) ). Maybe there are still some who don't want to do that and follow their own projects.
Now playing Beyound the Scion (second time)

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 11 Mar 2020 12:44

Hopefully there won't be too many games in the BtB competition. Otherwise only a few of us will be able to play them all.

Same old story: too little = bad; too many = bad.

Not that I thought the Space BtB was bad. I thought it was ideal. But that's me.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 12 Mar 2020 03:09

Jorge22 wrote:
10 Mar 2020 13:52
We could always discuss the....... I'm not even going to mention.
It's been so great that not a living soul has brought up the subject here! Pff...
CORONAVIRUS
There you go...
woof

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 12 Mar 2020 09:13

Fine then. Let's keep it at that. :)

VoodooChild97

Post by VoodooChild97 » 27 Apr 2020 07:02

Good constructive criticism. I've been thinking of this myself lately, as my last level was definitely guilty of being overly complex and difficult in a way that was unbalanced. I feel that familiarity with the game's platform mechanics and limited puzzle set can easily lead to gameplay that is specialized and esoteric. Even Core Design was guilty of this at times I think, as the games got bigger and more complex, so that they were difficult to navigate if you were new to the franchise and did not already have "Tomb Raider brain" as it were.

As for new toys, bells, and whistles, I agree that these can distract from the more fundamental things that make a level fun to play. One interesting thing I learned about a developer is that Valve creates their maps first without any textures, lighting, or decorative objects and effects. This is to make sure the game is fun to play at its most basic gameplay elements, and that graphics and atmosphere enhance that gameplay rather than compensate for a lack thereof. I'm thinking of trying this tactic going forward.

Personally, I prefer using the original editor with 64x textures and at most a patched exe using TREP to incorporate elements from the original engine that were simply left out in TR4, like weather, functioning holsters, and fully working automatic rifles.