Thierry Stoorne - Setback 1/2: Another Castle / Dead City Avenue

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Mulf

Thierry Stoorne - Setback 1/2: Another Castle / Dead City Avenue

Post by Mulf » 30 Oct 2019 12:36

So I was limbering up in preparation of giving the builder a damn good thrashing for failing to link his two levels (resulting in a crash to desktop at the end of level 1 and concomitant loss of all pickups, including one required to finish level 2), and then even using the original, unrevised wads during conversion (producing huge glitches due to the absence of several animations: monkeyswinging, wading, one of the kickdoor animations, underwater pickup)—'sloppy' doesn't cut it, this is noob material—, when I noticed that while these problems are duly noted by the post-2005 reviewers, they are not mentioned in any of the earlier reviews.
Indeed, Gerty (in a review dating from 2003) specifically warns against converting both levels at the same time, as in that case the second level would not load (a thing that's been known to happen). This leads me to believe that this levelset drew the short straw during the Great Conversion. Whoever did the converting managed not only to do precisely the thing Gerty warned against, they also used the unrevised wads in the process.
So, I suggest that a new conversion be made by somebody who is still in possession of the original .TOM files (that would be Gerty or Treeble, I guess; though I might have them too on a CD somewhere), and that the download be updated accordingly.
The script could also be recompiled while we're at it, as it has DOZY enabled. This is useful for the game in the broken state it's currently in, but not common practice (pace TombTitan's opinion on the matter).

EDIT: Strike the last paragraph; I found out that DOZY was enabled in the original download as well.
After searching out the original download on my TRLE CD #9 and a fresh install of the original level editor and the revised wads, I recompiled the .TOM files (separately). Preliminary testing showed that the animations now work properly, and that the transition from level 1 to level 2 works perfectly fine (even a savegame from the version currently on download was accepted, although the camera went haywire for a few seconds at the start, for whatever reason).
I'm going to play the levels through again (sigh) to make sure that everything is working as it should now, and if it does, ask Michael to replace the .TR4 files.

TombTitan

Re: Thierry Stoorne - Setback 1/2: Another Castle / Dead City Avenue

Post by TombTitan » 30 Oct 2019 14:34

The original dat files were in French (which I have). The English conversion "after the fact" may be part of the problem because .txt files were not provided, and they probably used trwest to convert.

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 30 Oct 2019 16:29

Yes, I'm playing this in the original French now (1st level and transition to 2nd level are OK. Looking good so far). Whether these level files fit in with the combined levels 1-6 and their common English script remains to be seen.

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 30 Oct 2019 23:46

Now that's a setback, huh? (... I'll see myself out).

The files I have stashed away are probably the same you located on your own CD, but I could do some digging as well if necessary.

And also, just so I don't open a new thread, in your review for Another Underground you mentioned the gap between the release and the first review. This is valid for all (bar one or two exceptions) non-TR4 levels. For a long time they were not listed, although they were available on the internet on other sites such as the long defunct Lara's Home. This doesn't really contradict your point, of course, just in case you didn't know.

Now if only we could stalk Antoni and discover if Fog was his nickname... Might have been just a typo, not necessarily a grammar mistake from the builder, but yeah, could have called it Temple of the Four Elements and it still would hold up I guess. :D

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 31 Oct 2019 00:42

Treeble wrote:
30 Oct 2019 23:46
Now that's a setback, huh? (... I'll see myself out).
So it was you who did the deed then, huh. Well, shame on you, you rascal! :whip:
Treeble wrote:
The files I have stashed away are probably the same you located on your own CD, but I could do some digging as well if necessary.
Naah, that won't be necessary; I'm through with testing, and it went well. However, by way of penitence for your wrongdoing you could offer to play the two levels in question in the context of the bundle that's currently on download and in which they will presumably take their place. (Playing the same thing twice in a row was OK, as they're not bad levels; but thrice is asking too much. I only tested whether the transitions between levels 1-3 worked, which they did.) I've uploaded the files here in case you (or anybody else, for that matter) may want to give it a go.
Treeble wrote:
And also, just so I don't open a new thread, in your review for Another Underground you mentioned the gap between the release and the first review. This is valid for all (bar one or two exceptions) non-TR4 levels. For a long time they were not listed, although they were available on the internet on other sites such as the long defunct Lara's Home. This doesn't make contradict your point, of course, just in case you didn't know.
This indeed I did not know (or maybe forgot about), so thanks for the info. I'm not going to change my review because of it, as indeed it doesn't invalidate my point of it being an unfinished attempt at making a proper level, but for the sake of future accuracy I'll certainly keep it in mind. :)
Treeble wrote:
Now if only we could stalk Antoni and discover if Fog was his nickname... Might have been just a typo, not necessarily a grammar mistake from the builder, but yeah, could have called it Temple of the Four Elements and it still would hold up I guess. :D
Stop making sense. :D Early on in my TRLEing career I've come to the conclusion that appropriate and meaningful level titles are the exception rather than the rule, but it was fun pretending than it was the other round. Perhaps other reviewers will be joining the discussion with alternative theories. :)

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 31 Oct 2019 19:10

I have just finished playing the first 2 levels using the French version from the original TOM files. I transferred the coastal and city TR4 files to the trle.net download of all 6 levels, and also transferred my final save games from level 2. The game successfully made the level jump to the third level "By Following Birds" in the amended 6-level trle.net version (replaced coastal and city TR4s) using the savegames from the French 1-2 version, and the inventory and statistics screens are in English with the retained inventory and secret counts.

There are indeed seven secrets as both Gerty and Sakusha stated in their reviews (I didn't know that when I played--I actually saw their reviews as I am writing this post). The walkthrough only lists 5 secrets by Dutchy and 6 secrets by Litepulsar.

There is one serious builder flaw in the first level. It is possible to get the first gate key legally without ever having the crowbar or opening either of the two crowbar gates, and then continuing on for a long stretch until the player comes to a dead end by not having the crowbar. The builder should have prevented this by making access to the location of the gate key restrictive requiring the crowbar (as is, you can climb over the wall and go back up legally).

I don't recall having actually played this game when it came out, probably because I was too busy with work commitments in the early 2000s, so I will need to continue on as time and interest permits.

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 05 Nov 2019 20:55

Michael has acknowledged receiving the recompiled files; the download is about to be (or has been) updated accordingly.