Dustie level Journey to Sumeria remake

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Dustie level Journey to Sumeria remake

Post by Gerty » 08 May 2019 13:19

It says at my end that after unzipping, I cannot start this project as the VCRUNTIME140.dll is not found.
Where oh where do I find that?
Oops, I did it again... Image

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Dustie level Journey to Sumeria remake

Post by vimmers » 09 May 2019 03:02

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 09 May 2019 03:48

You do NOT need this file to play or unzip the level. There must be something wrong on your computer. It could be the operating system, antivirus, malware, or whatever. The game works on Win7 without Visual Studio files.

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 09 May 2019 16:31

Thanks vimmers but I leave it for now what it is.
I am afraid to do something so I can't play at all.

@ TombTitan,
I have no clue what is going on, I have a XP machine and this one is NOT on the internet.
Downloading is on my other computer and screened for virus and all that other rubbish.
All the other levels are working fine expect this one so I am sure it is not my computer but the game.
Oops, I did it again... Image

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 09 May 2019 17:37

I'm finding that more often than not I have to temporarily disable my antivirus before I can even download a custom level. Once downloaded, however, I've had no problems getting the game to play. So far.

Edit: Since I also use XP, I'm in the same boat with Gerty and won't be able to play this level unless a fixed version is released.
Last edited by Phil on 10 May 2019 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 10 May 2019 04:38

Gerty i knew that you had an xp machine
but wouldn't comment further before you replied on TombTitans post
have you tried to rename the pix folder
i know you usually have trouble with them

but the solution could be to install the visual studio
the files i posted are legal/official microsoft files

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 10 May 2019 05:46

Gertie,

[EDIT] I put the game on my XP Service Pack 3 machine. It does NOT run on XP. It has the same problem as you, and asks for VCRUNTIME240.DLL. This is because Dustie's game includes a file called "Plugin_automatic_fov_dll". This file is probably based on the Visual Studio video codes.

My Win7 computers have Microsoft Office on them which includes Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office. That is why the game runs there. This game was probably developed on WIN10 which may have the underlying files in the operating system, but I saw many complaints from users on the internet with WIN10 for this same dll problem with other programs.

I suspect that the version of the Tomb Raider Editor that Dustie used has these files, and he forgot that he has to create stand-alone executable files that bypass this problem. He can NOT distribute the VCRUNTIME240.DLL because that would be an illegal violation of Microsoft's copyrights. Builders are going to have to recognize that they can NOT use nonstandard files in their games that require special operating system code files. That is also a violation of the original license for making Tomb Raider customlevels.

I strongly advise against you putting Visual Studio on your XP machine because it may cause serious conflicts with other programs and the current version of Visual Studio may not run properly on XP. I think you need to abandon playing this particular customlevel on your XP computer. You may need to get a new computer if you want to play some of these new customlevels which contain these plugins. I know Psiko's HyperSquare 2 had some plugins of this type as did Pedro's deleted games. If those games played on your XP computer, then the problem is specifically linked to the way Dustie built his level, and he needs to rebuild it!

P.S. The game also does NOT play on WIN8.1 without Microsoft Office (it causes the same dll problem). Thus, you do need some version of the Visual Studio tools. Most computers have Microsoft Office (or similar programs) which include these tools, thus, there have been few complaints. However, very few people in the world have played Dustie's level, so complaints will only appear in the future.

P.P.S. I also just checked Sabatu's Secret of Mount Parnassus game which has many new plugin dlls. Sabatu's game DOES RUN on WIN8.1 without Visual Studio tools. The problem here is most likely that whoever created Dustie's file "Plugin_automatic_fov.dll" did it WRONG!. That file will need to be re-created as a true stand-alone executable dll without calling for special files on the user's computer, and beta tested on ALL currently used operating systems besides WIN10 (i.e., XP, WIN7 and WIN8.1)..