trle.net Reviewer Report - February 2019

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

trle.net Reviewer Report - February 2019

Post by MichaelP » 28 Feb 2019 18:45

Really brief report this month as we did not have a lot of "movement" this month and a 'long time low' amount of reviews coming in ....

Top Levels of the Month - see here

Top Reviewers of the Month

01 - Ryan ( 53 )
02 - Wolf7 ( 13 )
03 - The Snarky Lesbian ( 12 )
03 - Mehrbod ( 12 )

Full statistics HERE

Total Review Count in February 2019: 137

Reviewer Awards

Bronze Award for The Snarky Lesbian

New entries in the Top 50

none

New entries in the Hall of Fame

none

Congratulations! And as usual, Thanks to all Reviewers!

Phil
Mod
Mod

Re: trle.net Reviewer Report - February 2019

Post by Phil » 28 Feb 2019 22:53

A quiet month, to say the least.

The four listed reviewers accounted for nearly two-thirds of the month's reviews.

The Snarky Lesbian?

Jay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Jay » 01 Mar 2019 14:12

:lol: Yup, that's an interesting user name, alright. Now I feel really boring.

I have to say Ryan's rise to top of the reviewing list in about three years (I think) since he first began reviewing is nothing short of remarkable. Well done Ryan!

I've had a bit of an odd month. Firstly, we changed our computers so I've been getting used to Windows 10 and having to speak quite severely to Windows Defender on the subject of tomb4 exe (I'm pretty sure I've won that argument so hopefully I shan't have any raiding problems from that quarter). Then I ended up in hospital for a few days with, of all things, pneumonia. :dunno: Seriously, one moment I was fine and the next I was having industrial strength amounts of antibiotics pumped into me. Since I got back home I've been doing an awful lot of sleeping and not much else so I'm really looking forward to getting back into normal routines, which will hopefully include a lot more raiding this month. :D

Anyway, congrats to the aforementioned reviewers and someone give Ryan a biscuit or something - he's amazing.
Time may be a great healer
but it's a lousy beautician

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 01 Mar 2019 17:49

Ah, cheers Jay. I'm actually quite surprised that I managed to clinch top spot so quickly considering that I've had other things to do, but undoubtedly proud. And do get better quickly. :2thumbsup:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 01 Mar 2019 21:44

Yup, TheSnarkyLesbian is a twitch streamer who does live reviews. Found this channel today.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

The Snarky Lesbian

Post by The Snarky Lesbian » 01 Mar 2019 22:12

Hey everyone,

I'm TheSnarkyLesbian, quite the nickname, I know. I found this website through Tomb Raider speedrunner ActionTurnip (who was playing some of Danath's levels at the time) and it was like finding a city made of chocolate.

Probably not the best place to introduce myself, but now that I am already writing this post, why not right? Well I'm Kharina and I'm a casual Tomb Raider 1 speedrunner (casual meaning I try to run it every year for 1-2 Months and then lose interest) and played Tomb Raider since my childhood (I'm 28 now). So finding this website and basically being to able to play Tomb Raider custom levels till the end of my life (Or I fall over from my bad eating habits) makes me extremely happy. Especially when I can review them and also comment on them. Really makes me happy that this website exists.
I will likely try to immediately jump on whatever Tomb Raider 2 and Tomb Raider 3 based levels exists, and afterwards (or occasionally inbetween) go for TR4 based levels. I know, the majority of levels on here is TR4 based, but I don't know. I get rashes and a tickly skin when I can't shoot something for 2 minutes and my brain is too small for multimap levels, but I'm currently in the process of playing some TR4 levels to more or less educate myself on TR4 games.

I do however feel like my reviews are still a bit all over the place, I'm sure when they checked out via my profile they will all read kinda different. As I started by basically writing them like Q&A reports for the author. Then remembering that reviews are most likely for potential players too, and am now trying to write them like a mixture between critique for the level creator and a critique by some self righteous Yelper (imagine me with a smoking pipe in my mouth as I write). So I hope they can convey information for both the level creators and potential players.

I hope that is okay. But if someone has critique for me, feel free to slam them right in my face though. Anyway I can make better reviews, I will do so. (Like for instance have less of a criminal disregard for everything not involving shooty shooty bang bang).

Also the Twitch streaming is something I tries just today. (And my chat was kinda broken so I mostly just talked to myself), if people like that I might do it more.

Thanks, whether you read all this mess or just skipped over it, thank you for this website.
My Twitch Channel

Do a good for the world and reduce the number of crawlspaces in your levels.

SrDanielPonces

Post by SrDanielPonces » 05 Mar 2019 17:23

Hey, welcome :)

I honestly thought you were quite unfair with the review of my level and I'm not understanding how you give an 8 for gameplay even though you thought it was not 'Tomb Raider' enough and boring, however you gave a 6 in enemies, objects and secrets just because a level which is supposed to be set in a public place has almost no combat? :?

Despite that, I respect your opinion and I may take this review to improve the levels in the future. Regards.

The Snarky Lesbian

Post by The Snarky Lesbian » 07 Mar 2019 02:05

I honestly thought you were quite unfair with the review of my level and I'm not understanding how you give an 8 for gameplay even though you thought it was not 'Tomb Raider' enough and boring, however you gave a 6 in enemies, objects and secrets just because a level which is supposed to be set in a public place has almost no combat?
That is probably fair, and I'm sorry if you felt like I was a dick about it, or unfair. And I have admit, I'm not a big proponent of rating levels with numbers because I never know what to quantify them against, they are super arbitrary, and even more so, they bring up something else. Which is the subjectivity how much you might align with some reviewers over others in terms of taste. What I enjoy in TR is a very stop and go flow of exploration - pickups - shooting things - hitting levers and running some more. If I do too much of one while the others fall behind I feel irked. This relationship between elements of the gameplay in general is wildly different between the Tomb Raider games. And so I have my favorites in terms of design.

Your levels, or the demo for those two levels were definitely extremely beautiful, big, sprawling and filled with unique ideas and custom objects. It's probably - from what I have seen so far - pretty revolutionary gameplay (the Venice level that is). It does however break up the flow of gameplay quite a lot, after the more traditional first level. Which, considering it is not just a side level to choose at your leisure, but literlaly the second level in a forced sequence just strikes me as odd. This slow down, especially with the first level not being super stuffed with pickups and enemies (because it mimics the first level of TR2) makes the demo itself feel a bit meh to me. Considering my preferences.

I decided to give it an 8 in gameplay for it's new and unique design in the second level, and I gave a 6 in pick ups and enemies because there just aren't that many enemies in the first two levels, neither are there a lot of pickups, which after a while really bored me. Especially in the second level. I get that it's a public place, but maybe that just doesn't make for a great Tomb Raider level then, if I may be so blunt. I'm sorry to say that, because I can see an insane amount of work in that level, I respected it deeply. But I did not enjoy it. Not even with a ton of Masks, normal dragon secrets and Bartoli coins lying around that felt like I was collecting rubble, because their only use (other than collecting all items in a level giving a postcard) is filling up the level in my opinion. While secrets normally present the player with some gameplay rewards (weapons and ammunition), TR2 only gives you something if you get all Dragons, the other TR games give you normal pickups in their secrets. Here you get nothing relevant for gameplay, even if you find all of them. And there is a lot of these items in the levels. Imagine vanilla TR2 has 30 Dragons, and when finding them all you get a handshake.

I apologize deeply for this sounding so offending, it is not my intention, but that was kind of my thought process behind the score of 6 in pickups.
My Twitch Channel

Do a good for the world and reduce the number of crawlspaces in your levels.