The hopefully useful blocked downloads thread

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

The hopefully useful blocked downloads thread

Post by Jorge22 » 13 Jan 2019 20:23

We all know there have been issues with patched exes vs antivirus programs. They can be easily fixed by disabling one or two shields within the antivirus program. Or by replacing the exe by any known non-detected exe that works. Sometimes they may be submitted as fake positives to the companies and if they find out they're actually fake positives they'll change their parameters accordingly.
Virus Total is a safe site where one can submit one's troublesome exe and see how most antivirus companies class it. I invite you to use it whenever needed.

But this thread is not about those cases.

Sometimes your antivirus will simply block the download. Easily fixed if you turn it off when downloading and, later, when playing. Or (as before) quickly replacing the exe. But is that really a fix? Can this or that exe occasionally cause damage of any sort to one's computer in spite of being an actual virus or just... something that may mess up the system somehow?

I think blocked downloads are (or may be) a more serious matter. One that should deserve our attention.

So, the purpose of this thread (organized in alphabetical order) is for players to let everybody know whenever a level or level set's download got blocked and by which program. I think it may be useful. Everybody will still be able to choose but maybe a conscience that may have been missing thus far may evolve from here until something's finally fixed. Hopefully.

I invite you to use the thread (in case you will) by copying and pasting the list and adding whatever level or level set (or simply a different antivirus if the level's already listed) you feel you should to it so that things remain organized.

If Michael and the mods decide (for whichever reason) there's no place for this thread, they may of course remove it. I'm ok with it. In the meantime, here it goes...

A

Another Winter Forest - download blocked by Avast

B

C

Castle Kriegler - Part 1 - download blocked by Windows Defender (somehow solved by using Avast Secure Browser)

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

Tom Raider: Above the Horizon (Demo) - download blocked by Chrome (solved by using Avast Secure Browser - and it's always a drag to have to add the levels to exceptions/exclusions)

Tomb Raider: Anniversary II - Definitive Demo - download blocked by Avast

Tombs of London - download blocked by Windows Defender

Tomb Raider 2: Legend of Xian (Demo) - blocked by Chrome (solution: I used Avast Secure Browser instead) - still, I thought I'd mention a total of 35 engines, according to Virus Total, consider the exe malicious, Avast included, yeah
Also blocked by Firefox (solved by using Safari)

U

V

W

X

Y

Z
Last edited by Jorge22 on 30 Jun 2019 12:10, edited 10 times in total.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: The hopefully useful blocked downloads thread

Post by Jorge22 » 04 Jun 2019 12:29

*bump* - new levels added.
Last edited by Jorge22 on 07 Jun 2019 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 04 Jun 2019 16:12

you forgot that your browser also can block downloads
if it's setup pr default

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 04 Jun 2019 17:19

That's true. It happened to me once, I think. I don't know if you're joking though... You know, one sentence and true info...
I mean, are we supposed to always disconnect every protection layer we may have everytime we do anything Tomb Raider related just in case?

Because I can certainly see your point but that still doesn't make sense to me.

Or maybe you're actually just adding some info, in which case I'm sorry I even thought otherwise.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 04 Jun 2019 19:03

no i am not joking
i often surfing dangerus sites including trle.net
and have to allow chrome to download or just visit the site

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 05 Jun 2019 00:30

Ok. You're joking. Which doesn't make ignoring antiviruses wise (no matter whether they're correct or not; they exist for a reason). I think...

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 05 Jun 2019 04:46

i am still not joking

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 05 Jun 2019 09:39

Ok then.

I never ever said trle.net was a dangerous site. I remember I said, in context, it was easy to make it https - what I have of mine on the net is https and it cost me nothing, not even effort. I can say the same about several other sites/forums I visit quite regularly. But I still don't think of them as dangerous.

But that has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread. What I think is if something's wrong and you care, you try and fix it. At least you try. It doesn't really matter if it's all fake positives - my thoughts are it is. But it's still an issue. I was actually surprised to see Defender acting so aggressively... And this thread is supposed to be info which you may be interested in or simply discard.

I also think we are both polluting the thread somehow by adding a lot of noise. You don't have to share my views on the subject but I'm sure you must agree on that. Do you?

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 05 Jun 2019 13:36

i said trle.net was unsafe u didn't
a proof
and under picture stay
This server could not prove that it is forum.trle.net; its security certificate is not trusted by your computer's operating system. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

Proceed to forum.trle.net (unsafe)
cos i can't print/screen the whole page
trle.jpg
that's why i say trle.net are unsafe in your browser
and not only in antivirus programs

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 05 Jun 2019 14:46

I know that. It says 'unsafe' on the top left of the browser. I say that particular aspect can be oh so easily fixed.

So, I guess we basically agree. Maybe you think all these incompatibility issues (namely not being able to download some trle levels unless one disconnects everything and then excludes the folder the level's in before being able to turn - Defender, in the current case - back on) are acceptable. I find it's quite annoying and *potentially* (I don't think it is, not exactly) unsafe.

I guess it has to do with whether you've ever had to go all the way to save your computer for whatever reason or not. One's personal experiences, you know. I have and it's a lot of trouble, so I just don't want that if I can avoid it.

That having been said, the thread serves - as I said - its own purpose, perhaps more so than 90% of the threads and we've been creating some noise here. Maybe. Then again, maybe not. I obviously don't know how people react to this.

PS - By the way, I know for certain that at least Avast doesn't consider the site itself unsafe. I guess Chrome does. But there's nothing blocking the visits and I have never even gotten any warnings.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 06 Jun 2019 16:20

Just to finish this off, I'll tell you how annoying it can be, because it happened just now. Before playing Mystery of the Lost Pyramid, I excluded the entire folder on Defender. Only it ignored my command and I found out that it had now quarantined it just the same. I restored it because, honestly, what the hell do they think they're doing with their dumb AI? I think that's annoying and disrespectful too. I mean, you can't deal with any protection program, not even Defender, I think it's a bit too much and what are you going to do? Simply travel the net unprotected?

I mean, this kind of thing doesn't happen to me unless it's some crack or something ("something" including trle modified exes). More than annoying.

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 07 Jun 2019 12:21

Jorge

So far I can see you are (apart from getting frustrated by the minute) agitated by the fact that your anti virus program is giving you problems while trying to download and/or play TR levels.

I understand that you won’t disable your virus programme as you had a nasty encounter with a virus while surfing the Internet. Not something you want to experience again. I can understand that.

As nobody can fix the problems with the false positive the virus programme gives to some of the TR games; there are ways to circumvent it. But you already know that. I know it is annoying but for now that is all there is. You are not the only one who is having this problem.

Nobody is saying that you have to travel the Internet unprotected. However one has to do something extra when one wants to play TR levels now these days, until the virus programmes get wise enough and consider the latest TR levels safe.

I am a lucky person to have 2 computers. It takes a bit more work as I download the games on my Mac and then have to transfer the game via USB stick to my PC (an old XP who is not connected to the internet). That way I can surf happily with my Mac and play at the same time. But not everyone has that luxury.

So going on and on about the frustration you are feeling doesn’t help anyone included yourself. But for now the only advice you are given is to disable and download, or even keep the programme disabled while playing. Probably have to throw away the game before you enable your anti virus programme.

As for the list, you can leave it there but instead of making a new one every time, isn’t it better to EDIT your first post? So it is easier to have a look at the first page instead of scrolling down to find the latest update you made?
Oops, I did it again... Image

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 07 Jun 2019 12:27

Hi.

It would and I've considered it. Only to find out it didn't make much sense immediately after. The reasons are:
a) if I just add something to my first post, nobody will know that something new was added;
b) The thread was supposedly meant to allow others who experience the particular trouble of seeing some of their downloads blocked to share here (and of course they can't type on my post).

So, that's why. I understand you too. In fact, I understand it all really.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 07 Jun 2019 17:36

you could write
bump new levels added

and eventually the levels you added
everytime you edit your first post

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 07 Jun 2019 17:44

You know, vimmers, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tip. I'll do just that.

If anybody ever wants to add anything, just say which level it is and I'll add it to the first post.