Cliff Tomb at Akhetaton

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Cliff Tomb at Akhetaton

Post by Ryan » 23 Dec 2018 23:34

In the current version of this download, there seems to be a fatal bug in level 2, in the room with the rising sand. Once you place the Cartouche and enter the room, the sand does not trigger and I had to get round it using a flare glitch. I see Jose also encountered this problem, so is it possible for this glitch to be rectified? I've accidentally overwritten my save file so I can't post it to check, but would someone mind having a look at this?

TombTitan

Re: Cliff Tomb at Akhetaton

Post by TombTitan » 25 Dec 2018 02:05

The stand-alone TRLE download of this game is indeed hopelessly buggy and unplayable at the rising sands room in the second level. The sand will not rise and the alcove cannot be reached no matter what you do. The beetles are triggered by running up the slope from the cartouche. If you go up the side ramps and jump into the sands room, the beetles will not be triggered.

Michael Prager needs to recompile this game from the original tom files in 2002 which are available at treditor.hu if he doesn't have them.

What is this flare glitch? I have never heard of such a thing which does not involve using flares in water.

Exactly how did you get around the rising sands bug?

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 25 Dec 2018 11:05

Thanks for replying, TombTitan. I could not get around this bug in a legal way, and the bug I used involved lighting a flare, dropping a flare against the wall of the alcove and continuously ducking. Then I repeated it about 5 times and Lara appeared in the alcove.

It's pretty strange that this bug seems to have only appeared in the last couple of years, though.. :?

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 25 Dec 2018 15:00

TombTitan, this is the flare glitch that Ryan is talking about: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showth ... p?t=164491. There's a video and detailed explanation in the linked thread. :)

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 26 Dec 2018 11:49

The level package now has the freshly recompiled files, but I have not confirmed that the sand is now rising as intended, so if anyone would care to confirm that, please let me know :)

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 26 Dec 2018 13:33

didn't work here
i haven't played the other game

i read the readme it says
Version 1.10.02.01.2002 – Fixed a fatal bug involving rising sands in which players could not finish HYPERLINK \l "Level_2" Uskh-t ni Tuti. Temporary fix.
so you guys have build from a earlier release

Versions
Version 1.00.29.12.2001 – Original release
Version 1.01.29.12.2001 – Made some slight changes in the Script.DAT and English.DAT files.
Version 1.10.02.01.2002 – Fixed a fatal bug involving rising sands in which players could not finish HYPERLINK \l "Level_2" Uskh-t ni Tuti. Temporary fix.
Version 1.11.02.01.2002 – Made it possible to reach the third secret in HYPERLINK \l "Level_2" Uskh-t ni Tuti (unreachable in version 1.10.02.01.2002 because of the deletion of the rising sands). Temporary fix.
Version 1.20.02.01.2002 – Fixed rising sands so they rise and fixed every flame_emitter2 from rising sands toAls end of the level. o made slight changes to the readme file, mainly for readability as well as additions to the HYPERLINK \l "Acknowledgements" Acknowledgements section. HYPERLINK \l "Level_2" Uskh-t ni Tuti is now as originally intended.
Version 1.30.07.01.2002 – Moved the Scroll of Sekhemkare from HYPERLINK \l "Level_5" Burial Chambers of Sekhemkare to HYPERLINK \l "Level_2" HYPERLINK \l "Level_4" Heri usekh-t ni Tuti and edited its entry in English.DAT. Added the shovel in HYPERLINK \l "Level_3" Tell el Amarna to the Script.DAT file. Fixed the spiked levers at the beginning of HYPERLINK \l "Level_4" Heri usekh-t ni Tuti as well as the transparent scroll in the spiked lever room. Added additional first aid kits and ammunition to all levels. Changed all but two TROOPS in HYPERLINK \l "Level_3" Tell el Amarna to SAS and fixed the “disappearing soldier” bug. Changed the entry for EXAMINE_2 in English.DAT and Script.DAT. Added clues for two difficult situations, one in HYPERLINK \l "Level_2" HYPERLINK \l "Level_4" Heri usekh-t ni Tuti and the other in HYPERLINK \l "Level_2" HYPERLINK \l "Level_5" Burial Chambers of Sekhemkare. Deblued waterfall in HYPERLINK \l "Level_1" Cliff Tomb at Akhetaton. Boxed obelisk island in the title flyby. Made blue wraiths in HYPERLINK \l "Level_2" HYPERLINK \l "Level_4" Heri usekh-t ni Tuti’s boat room invisible prior to triggering. Made many more quite minor fixes much too small to be listed.

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 27 Dec 2018 05:45

The newly refreshed download file is still buggy because it presumably uses the Dec 29, 2001 wads (which is also the version on treditor.hu) to build the tr4 files. I do not know if there is any other currently available version of "Cliff Tomb..." on the internet as aspidetr does not have this game, and I don't know of any other websites with downloadable custom levels.

The correct version to use is the January 7,2002 wads which were on trle.net through 2003 as evidenced by the reviews. However, since at least 2009, trle.net has only had the original buggy version. Perhaps it was lost on this website in a computer crash.

The original release was posted on tombraiderchronicles.com. Perhaps Michael Prager could contact that website's staff to see if they have retained the Jan/Feb 2002 download in their storage archives.

The rising sands bug is not the only critical bug in the current download post. The scroll cannot be picked up, and the spiked levers do not exist. These things were also fixed in the Jan 2002 version. Perhaps the current version can be completed using DOZY but this would require a script.dat with dozy active which is not possible using the current download. The third secret in the rising sands level can not be obtained because a torch must be used at the rising sands which do not rise. [Also, the flags do not burn properly as mentioned in the walkthrough, but persistent jumping against them with the torch will fill the hole with sand.]

This level is also another example of why builders should stop being paranoid about DOZY. Core Design put it in for situations like this.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 27 Dec 2018 07:08

right TombTitan it should be here
but it seems that tombraiderchronicles doesn't host custum levels anymore
https://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/cg ... _Akhetaton

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 01 Jan 2019 16:27

Well, too bad then - checked my files and indeed I only seem to have a version of the wad files from Dec 29, 2011 :(
If anyone has a working version of the respective files, feel free to share, so we can fix this...