questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Franky - Lost World

Post by Jorge22 » 16 Jul 2018 19:58

This is the stuckiest you'll ever get.

When I press start game, the screen goes black, I hear a few scary sounds and music and then it all simply remains black and silent and nothing else happens unless I use task manager to close down the program. I tried, just in case, with a different exe (Cakeworld rebake) and the same thing happened.

Has any of this happened to any of you? If it has, have you managed to solve it? And if you have what did you do?

Thanks.

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Franky - Lost World

Post by Ryan » 16 Jul 2018 20:14

Jorge, that sounds like an FMV is trying to play but can't for some reason. You can try one of two things to fix it: either press Esc a couple of times, or create a setup exe inside the download (I've had a look and there isn't one provided for you) and tick the option that allows you to disable FMVs (or something to that effect).

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 16 Jul 2018 20:15

Thanks. :)

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 16 Jul 2018 20:54

I don't know if I can play it. Now the game froze and then lost the sound before taking me back to the desktop.

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 16 Jul 2018 21:36

Hmm. I loaded the game to test the problem you were having and found that the FMVs played fine on my computer. However, when I tried to quit the game while the FMVs were playing, it did crash and I had to use the task manager too. It might be worth just trying out different settings to see which ones work for you (there might be one that allows you to disable FMVs completely, my memory is a little fuzzy on this score). But I've never had problems with actually playing them.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 16 Jul 2018 22:18

Yep, I did disable the FMVs completely (which is a crying shame). What happened after that was that the game froze when I was heading for the gate I'd just opened.
We'll see...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 18 Jul 2018 11:31

Here's an open message to Franky and I won't even mention the work that apparently hasn't been put into textures and so forth:

- I had to disable FMVs; otherwise, the game wouldn't play;

- the game keeps freezing and freezing and freezing.

Please, get opinions before releasing. Please, get your levels betatested. I can't play this anymore, sorry.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 18 Jul 2018 14:30

6 now 7 replies in a thread you created in the stuck forum
when you aren't stuck in a game
you have problems with a game please use the correct forum
either here
Chat About A Level
http://forum.trle.net/viewforum.php?f=27
or here
Technical Problems
http://forum.trle.net/viewforum.php?f=78

Gerty please move the thread

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 18 Jul 2018 15:36

What can I say?

I don't have to provide you with any explanations because you are not, by any means, a mod. Nobody has to. John and Jane Doe don't have to. The Queen of England doesn't have to. Even Donald Trump. But nonetheless I'll let everybody know that I started the thread as a means to continue, if needed, while playing the game. Which actually seems obvious enough...

Since it all took a different route, Gerty, please feel free to kindly move it to the Chat about a level part of the forums (I think).

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 18 Jul 2018 17:36

:whip:
Vimmers is right and you know it Jorge, you know what goes where so..... :-P
Oops, I did it again... Image

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 18 Jul 2018 18:29

I do. I know he's right in pointing out it's the wrong forum (in spite of the original intention) because if it happened that a lot of threads went like that it would be a little messy.

I also know he's wrong in having the habit of getting into strict moderator mode just like that.

So, I guess it's a tie. :)

Thanks for taking it here. ;)

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 18 Jul 2018 19:27

so you'd rather have me report the thread behind your back ?
i don't have problems with this level only that i am stuck
did a reply on aspide forum about my problem
but franky will have that i pm him about the solution
i don't want that cos i will have that all shall see the solution

i have many times tried to help you
but for me it seems that it's going in in 1 ear and out the other

seeing all your replies lately
about how difficult it's to start an tr4.exe or don't see a fmv
i can only conclude that it's time for you to reset your pc/labtop
and not to an earlier state but completely reinstall

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 18 Jul 2018 19:46

Why should you report anything behind my back, is there some sort of Iron Curtain that I haven't noticed? No...

I'm not going to get into an argument with you. You may think I have something against you, I don't know, just maybe, for whatever reason, but that's not at all the point.

All I really think is you could ponder phrasing your sentences in a much nicer way. If that makes sense to you, excellent and I mean it. :)

That includes assertiveness. Of course every computer fails eventually and I've had mine for a while, but it's doing great generally. What did I complain about? This was the first time that I ever had problems with FMVs. In the same way, it's not at all normal for levels to go freezing every 5 minutes or so in my PC. Have you actually heard me complain about that? No. Quite honestly, I can't remember. The only thing you actually heard me complain about was TREP or FLEP or whatever and the way antivirus programs interact with them/it. Namely Avast. But because you say you notice things you may have noticed it's an issue for everyone, not just me. But that's fine, I can get around that - and I have. Easily. In the very last resort, change the exe and let's go. Should I change my antivirus program? No, and I'll tell you why: because a PC is a lot more than trle - it's a tool - and I believe in having a good security level. In that sense, all the security programs I have, Avast included, are pretty good. So, I guess maybe the AV companies are exaggerating but builders using something they already know will mess with a lot of users is a bit off the tracks too, if you'll allow me. It's only my opinion. And my explanation. I didn't have to explain but I just like things to be crystal clear. It is definitely not my fault. Not that I'm blaming anyone either really. But the way I use my pretty much usable PC is pretty much reasonable and I know it.

And I'm grateful for your help too, don't you even doubt it. But sometimes I just don't have the time or patience to go through a million pages extensive thread. Especially when half the answers are, perhaps by nature, confusing. So, yes, sometimes some answer eludes me. Or several times. So what? When you really want to help someone you don't question that person unless you're a strict educator straight out of another century. Maybe there's something cultural about it. But do take it from me, nobody will actually like it if you criticize them. People have their lives and their reasons. Now, either one accepts it lightly or perhaps it's better to leave it be. But of course I'm grateful for the times you helped or tried to help (because when somebody tries to help, I find that as valid as really helping even if the help isn't helpful - because the intention was good).

Are we cool? 8)

Five days on... Ok, I guess one can't please everyone. :(