PedroTheGamer : The Egyptian Great Wall (Demo)

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: PedroTheGamer : The Egyptian Great Wall (Demo)

Post by Jorge22 » 20 Dec 2017 20:26

Much too heavy, yeah...

But let me download it while it's still there. Or also review it if it remains there. ;)

And yes, it's amazing the kind of attentions trolls get these days! :lol:

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 20 Dec 2017 21:05

I've only just played a bit and I don't remember MagPlus' level but what I can say so far is I think Pedro seems to have tried in what looks like the most old school level I've seen since, er, since I was young.
There are also a few funny tings so far, namely a baddie walking on air which is clumsy.
Still I believe MagPlus (as well as Talos) and if nothing changes (and after taking a peek at the other level's walkthrough) you already know my ratings.

MagPlus

Post by MagPlus » 20 Dec 2017 21:30

@Jorge : of course you didn't recognize my level in his 1st one, because it's 911' great wall. When you play his 2nd one, you'll see ;)

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 20 Dec 2017 22:21

Ok then. :)

I've just read the first part of 911's level and it doesn't look the same...

Lara_Fox_Croft

Post by Lara_Fox_Croft » 21 Dec 2017 16:59

MagPlus wrote:
20 Dec 2017 21:30
@Jorge : of course you didn't recognize my level in his 1st one, because it's 911' great wall. When you play his 2nd one, you'll see ;)
Actually it is not, he took the outfit, and the loading image, but the level is clearly the original Great Wall level, about the second level, the only things he did add just destroyed the whole level.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 22 Dec 2017 04:32

Talos wrote:
20 Dec 2017 12:02
this user contacted me asking to help in "his" Cakeworld 2... I told him he was a thief, and he tried to justify himself by saying that DJ had given him permission. I banned him
Actually, I did give him permission. So he wasn't lying about this...
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Talos

Post by Talos » 22 Dec 2017 09:17

DJ Full wrote:
22 Dec 2017 04:32

Actually, I did give him permission. So he wasn't lying about this...
But I couldn't know.
He stole another level, and this vice didn't lose him.... And when he contacted me, he'd already stolen the level of the screen, unmasked by Lore.
I wanted to send you a PM with the conversation, but then I thought it was a trifle made by a little boy... I'm wrong!!

:beadyeyes2:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 22 Dec 2017 10:42

MagPlus wrote:
19 Dec 2017 22:39
I provided sources of the level which is oubviously a kind of authorization to use them. But I thought it was obvious too that any builder would create his/her own level with them instead of using the whole project
I must admit when I noticed your project file it wasn't obvious to me it isn't meant to be processed this way - precisely because Core wanted exactly that to happen with their maps included in the original level editor package: they meant them for "builders who would rather design gameplay". It could be Pedro understood it in similar way because I talked to him and he still considers it a "remake". To be fair nobody complains when we get dozens of Great Walls, Catacombs, Caves and whatever else was ripped from Core and re-released with very few alterations. I know Core gave permission and the custom builders didnt, but the overall effect is the same - tons of counter-creative, boring, pointless, crappy releases. This is what I was explaining in my review. So I think someone who knows Portuguese should just speak to Pedro and explain the quality difference, and presumed upgrade, which should accompany any true remake. I tried to talk to him for a month but I'm simply not efficient enough, he can understand about 10-20% of whatever I say, all the rest hits the vacuum.
Talos wrote:But I couldn't know.
Yeah Erika, I get you. I just had to explain Cakeworld was an exception. I said he can do with the pack whatever he wants to, and everybody can since the resources were added to the advent calendar. I didn't give him the map though, and probably since he lacks knowledge about room design, this is why he wanted your help - doesn't sound like he wanted you to help him steal anything in this case.

Talos

Post by Talos » 22 Dec 2017 10:54

DJ Full wrote:
22 Dec 2017 10:42
Yeah Erika, I get you. I just had to explain Cakeworld was an exception. I said he can do with the pack whatever he wants to, and everybody can since the resources were added to the advent calendar. I didn't give him the map though, and probably since he lacks knowledge about room design, this is why he wanted your help - doesn't sound like he wanted you to help him steal anything in this case.

The message he sent me is not December. It is October-November, before the release of the material of Cakeworld. And when he wrote me "my" Cakeworld, I was sure you didn't know that level. I send you the whole conversation to the PC. I had to do it first, damn

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 22 Dec 2017 11:22

Talos wrote:
22 Dec 2017 10:54
The message he sent me is not December. It is October-November, before the release of the material of Cakeworld. And when he wrote me "my" Cakeworld, I was sure you didn't know that level.
I really need to clarify. It is all correct because 1) he got the pack before advent, 2) he wants to make a "sequel". I have no idea how it turns out but if he actually manages to produce his own map it can be a turning point.

Talos

Post by Talos » 22 Dec 2017 11:41

DJ Full wrote:
22 Dec 2017 11:22
I really need to clarify. It is all correct because 1) he got the pack before advent, 2) he wants to make a "sequel". I have no idea how it turns out but if he actually manages to produce his own map it can be a turning point.
We could not know ... I will be a bit 'biased (in fact I have also written a dirty word), but since it has already stolen a level (and now another) I thought it was yet another attempt at theft. :?

MagPlus

Post by MagPlus » 22 Dec 2017 15:19

DJ Full wrote:
22 Dec 2017 10:42
It could be Pedro understood it in similar way because I talked to him and he still considers it a "remake".
I think you make a confusion beween "remake" and simply use a project, remove many little things here and there, add one or two rooms, never change any texture, mess up the gameplay, and claim it's your own level.

If I take any TR4 level using tr2prj, change Lara's outfit and change only one or 2 things, don't you think it would be a shame to release that level, changing its name and saying it's my level ?
If you're OK with this kind of behaviour, well I am not and I think many other builders would think the same way.

The thread I started here was just to warn players of the kind of "plagiarism" Pedro made, nothing else.
I already had to deal with him before at YT because of one of his videos that simply showed my level for which he was telling it was his own. That reminds me Vivi Carol who acted exactly the same. So, when I consider Pedro's behaviour and his skills in level building, I'm almost sure he's the kind of trolls that simply are parasites in TR level building community. And as Mulf said, he doesn't deserve all that debate, but I presume that what trolls are made for ;)

Lara_Fox_Croft wrote:
21 Dec 2017 16:59
Actually it is not, he took the outfit, and the loading image, but the level is clearly the original Great Wall level...
My bad, I thought he also took someone else entire level.
Last edited by MagPlus on 22 Dec 2017 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 22 Dec 2017 15:45

DJ, you may send me a text that's objective and representative of most people's feelings and I'll translate and send it to Pedro (just don't make it big, please).

I still think he's making fun of us (as a 13 year old might) but maybe that's the paranoid in me speaking...

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 23 Dec 2017 10:46

MagPlus wrote:If I take any TR4 level using tr2prj, change Lara's outfit and change only one or 2 things, don't you think it would be a shame to release that level, changing its name and saying it's my level ?
No, I think it's pointless. I just want you to notice how similar it is to what happens to Core's maps: it's often a demake not a remake. What about almost unchanged citadel in Talos's recent game? What about Psychedelic Angkor Wat? What about retextured Valley of the Kings in Secret of Forbidden Town? What about retextured Maria Doria in Underground Lake and Castle of Corpus Fatalis? What about ggctuk's Tutankhamun's Tomb? You can't tell which of those cross the line because there is no line, everything is a gradient. This is why I think Pedro was never a troll but he genuinely considers his works a remake. (Of course speaking about stuff he does now, not about what he did before.)

MagPlus wrote:
22 Dec 2017 15:19
I think you make a confusion beween "remake" and simply use a project, remove many little things here and there, add one or two rooms, never change any texture, mess up the gameplay, and claim it's your own level.
...and it's Pedro's confusion I'm explaining, but you read it as mine.

Jorge22 wrote:DJ, you may send me a text that's objective and representative of most people's feelings and I'll translate and send it to Pedro
Sure. But I will yet have to think about the exact wording...

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 23 Dec 2017 11:24

I'm fairly sure the original TR4 project files released alongside the TRLE had the same purpose as MagPlus's Egyptian tutorial - to allow future builders to study and understand how key mechanics work. We've all* rebuilt the tut1.prj from scratch following the manual, instead of simply picking the readily available one and changing a few things here and there...

When a project file is readily available it's hard to classify something made out of it as a "remake" other than a simple rip-off, and while I see your point about the several remakes of levels from the original games, that certainly takes a lot more time than just using an existing project file and making minor changes.

I've not played Pedro's levels (... yet?) but I thought I'd add my two cents based on what's been discussed. I do hope that Jorge's translation will get through to him, but I have a feeling it won't...

* Not all