Sooo... Back to basics 2016

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Luisa

Sooo... Back to basics 2016

Post by Luisa » 17 Apr 2017 03:28

I just wanted to open a thread for us to share our general impressions about this (well last) year's BtB levels, without giving away our guesses for the players competition, if you think this thread might threaten the integrity of the players competition in any way feel free to close it.

- first things first I'm stunned at how quality the textures are, not that I expected anything less, but holy shit, the levels are pure eye candy.
- since the last BtB i've been noticing a wider variety of colors in the textures and objects, which allows for the builders to give their own identity to their works and the levels to look very different between each other, the team is outdoing themselves every year
- the scenery of some of entries made me have flashbacks from the cairo levels from tr4, the jerusalem project and, of course, babylon is fallen by eric (the last one is still in the "nc" class, btw, don't forget moving it to the "persia" section asap)
- why are the snakes so f**king huge tho, it scared me :lol:
- i haven't still gotten further on any of them because they are all so great so far I don't know where to start
- please share your impressions i want to discuss
"I'm a dangerous girl, and right now I'm losing patience."

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Sooo... Back to basics 2016

Post by vimmers » 17 Apr 2017 07:14

yes they are beautiful
but but but the first 2 levels i played
BtB2016_1_The Buried City Of Susa and BtB2016_2_Lara Croft And The Forty Thieves
and i am with scottie in this quote from levelbase
Scottie' Is this jerking so hard all the time? I have now only played a few minutes and am partly at 10 FPS. This is really no fun anymore
i got a headache by playing this 2 levels
also it's very ignoring that the tomb4.exe still running in the background
when minimized
cos when u type something or use the f5 button like i do mush on another site
she draving pistols or use a flare or save the game
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

eRIC
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by eRIC » 17 Apr 2017 19:48

Luisa wrote:
17 Apr 2017 03:28
- first things first I'm stunned at how quality the textures are, not that I expected anything less, but holy shit, the levels are pure eye candy.
- since the last BtB i've been noticing a wider variety of colors in the textures and objects, which allows for the builders to give their own identity to their works and the levels to look very different between each other, the team is outdoing themselves every year
We are all grateful for the package , and i agree it is good to have many different setting , horizons , and there was much choice for the textures and objects... :)
vimmers wrote:
17 Apr 2017 07:14
yes they are beautiful
but but but the first 2 levels i played
BtB2016_1_The Buried City Of Susa and BtB2016_2_Lara Croft And The Forty Thieves
and i am with scottie in this quote from levelbase
Scottie' Is this jerking so hard all the time? I have now only played a few minutes and am partly at 10 FPS. This is really no fun anymore
i got a headache by playing this 2 levels
i'm a bit surprised , my PC is 6 years old , and i have no lagging , or just a bit , not played all levels though but 75% of them. :|
I don't remember any lagging with Susa ; and for The Forty Thieves, yes there is a bit in the city hub area , still quite playable , and it disappears completely once entering palaces and other places , was it the case for you ?

MrJavi94
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MrJavi94 » 17 Apr 2017 21:06

I'll test a few of these new levels on my other computer, which has twice the RAM my laptop and a notably better graphics card.

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Mytly » 17 Apr 2017 21:09

I experienced quite a lot of lagging in the outdoor areas of The Forty Thieves even on my laptop, which is fairly new and meant for gaming. However, the indoor areas were fine.
Luisa wrote:
17 Apr 2017 03:28
Indeed, the package was amazing. :2thumbsup: I'm sorry I was unable to finish my level in time. But I hope to complete it and release it later.

MrJavi94
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MrJavi94 » 17 Apr 2017 21:13

Mytly wrote:
17 Apr 2017 21:09
Indeed, the package was amazing. :2thumbsup: I'm sorry I was unable to finish my level in time. But I hope to complete it and release it later.
Whatever level you're working on, I'm pre-convinced it'll enter the Hall of Fame sooner or later. This is what you offered us with your delayed release of "The Lost City of Varaldun". Good luck with it!! :2thumbsup:

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Mytly » 17 Apr 2017 21:44

Thanks, that's so sweet. :)

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 18 Apr 2017 12:48

Slightly off topic (or maybe not), but I wonder if there will be any straggler levels for this competition, like Bigfoot's City of Memory for BtB2015, or Thierry's Vespa of Papa Razzi for BtB2010...
"I've been hearing symphonies, before all I heard was silence".

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 19 Apr 2017 00:50

The title screen is nice as always. I like the lighting in particular :)

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 19 Apr 2017 09:19

It would be a "travesty of justice" for all of the other builders and custom levels over the years if "The Prison of Daeva" were in the Hall of Fame. There are simply too many bugs (can't grab, pass through walls and closed doors, etc.), and it certainly does not belong in the top 3 for BtB2016.

This level does not really look like the typical Persia level, but rather like the builder pasted the textures and objects on a level he was building and decided to enter it as a BtB level. It doesn't even come close to the greatness of "Lara and the Forty Thieves" or "Sandstorm Over Daraya", and it is not as good as the "Perfume from Isbahan".

Luisa

Post by Luisa » 19 Apr 2017 14:53

TombTitan wrote:
19 Apr 2017 09:19
It would be a "travesty of justice" for all of the other builders and custom levels over the years if "The Prison of Daeva" were in the Hall of Fame. There are simply too many bugs (can't grab, pass through walls and closed doors, etc.), and it certainly does not belong in the top 3 for BtB2016.

This level does not really look like the typical Persia level, but rather like the builder pasted the textures and objects on a level he was building and decided to enter it as a BtB level. It doesn't even come close to the greatness of "Lara and the Forty Thieves" or "Sandstorm Over Daraya", and it is not as good as the "Perfume from Isbahan".
We all know deadlines make it harder to spot and fix all the bugs. There's nothing preventing the author from re-submitting a fixed version later when the contest is over. And plenty of builders start building their BtB entries before the package is released using generic textures.

I didn't get much further into the gameplay of Prison of Daeva yet to see what you're talking about, but it was one of the levels, alongside Lara and the Forty Thieves, that immediately caught my eye on how good looking it was, the illumination and colors were very smooth-looking, very atmospheric, and the environment was very reminiscent of the Citadel level from TR4. I am looking forward to play it on its entirety.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 19 Apr 2017 15:48

I've downloaded the package. Copied the TR4 file to the Data folder and the English and Script files to the main folder. Thing is when I press new game Windows finds an error of some sort and gets me back to the desktop. Everytime. Has anybody else encountered this issue?
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 19 Apr 2017 15:53

You also need to choose the actual level you want to play and copy/paste the TR4 files from that download folder and put them into the data folder of the package and copy/paste the download script files into the main package folder.
"I've been hearing symphonies, before all I heard was silence".

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 19 Apr 2017 15:57

Oh yes, right you are. Obvious but I'd forgotten about that. Thanks. :)
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Luisa

Post by Luisa » 20 Apr 2017 02:07

this will sound nitpicky but why haven't the team used the same Uzi pistols model they used in the BtB2014 package? The model from tr4/tr5 looks out place in a such a high definition package like this.