Sooo... Back to basics 2016

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Sooo... Back to basics 2016

Post by MichaelP » 27 Jun 2017 17:30

Fair question, Mytly, but again you are making a judgment of Magnus' perception and his motives within the boundaries of your own value system - when his may be entirely different to yours ...

Who says he is not enjoying playing a few custom levels once a year and then describing the experience in his reviews with a certain sense of irony?

What you all interpret as feeling miserable about his playing experience, may not have felt all that miserable for him after all. It is all in the eye of the beholder...

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 27 Jun 2017 17:32

Talos wrote:
27 Jun 2017 16:32
However it is useless to talk about it, in the end is not the score or the review of a single person to destroy a level and the work of the LD.
YES! So absolutely right!!

eRIC
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by eRIC » 27 Jun 2017 19:07

won't comment particularly on Magnus' reviews for this BTB, for i could also comment on other comments on some other forum(s) and there would be too many comments at the end of the day.

will just say that some reviews are more useful , others less , even if it can be a bit messy somehow we can have an 'understanding' ,
of what we can improve for our next level and/or what good we have achieved for the present one.
at least that works for me. EDIT : (even if i admit i have been upset at times in the past)
Just my personal though but i don't think many of the builders who have taken part to this BTB will be discouraged by one reviewer in particular.
One review alone would be without real meaning. We need to think more globally.
Is such reviewer's reviews useful yes or no ? Each builder should know if it is. Each player who wants to play one of the levels should know if it is, and if in doubt compare reviews with some others so to have a better view of what type of level it is.

i don't see many movies, but when i want to watch one , the objective and honest description of it counts tons more more than some reviews of it, anyway tending to discount all those with too much praise or arrogance.
Back to Magnus, there seems to be a lot of arrogance in his reviews , but well that's his style (and perhaps his problem, not ours)
MichaelP wrote:
27 Jun 2017 12:37
- but his "top" is in the 7/8 and not in the 9/10 range.
That's true :) and that's all good, it's like a counterbalance to the ratings that may be too high.
but still I miss one of the previous Magnus appearrance , the Magnus V.2013 , when he actually rated a BTB 9.5/10 :angel: :lol:

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 27 Jun 2017 19:28

Since I started all this, perhaps I should clarify that in my mind there's a clear distinction between the scores and the reviews themselves. I have no problem with the contents of Magnus's reviews. They're well thought out, they're entertaining to a certain extent, and they forcefully articulate his opinions (which we're all entitled to have) regarding the BtB levels. He's also entitled to quantify those opinions with his scores, but what prompted my initial post was my feeling that those scores were unreasonably low given what I believe is the objectively demonstrable high quality of this year's competition.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 28 Jun 2017 00:23

You just managed to get my attention. :)

I think Magnus is angry. And/or depressed. Ironical maybe? Right, but that doesn't exclude the angry/depressed feeling.

Either way he's just too tough on every level... I think.

Get better soon, Magnus! :2thumbsup:
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Mytly » 28 Jun 2017 08:46

MichaelP wrote:
27 Jun 2017 17:30
Fair question, Mytly, but again you are making a judgment of Magnus' perception and his motives within the boundaries of your own value system - when his may be entirely different to yours ...

Who says he is not enjoying playing a few custom levels once a year and then describing the experience in his reviews with a certain sense of irony?

What you all interpret as feeling miserable about his playing experience, may not have felt all that miserable for him after all. It is all in the eye of the beholder...
Actually, I didn't make these assumptions about Magnus's motives - you did. Or at least, you implied them by comparing his situation to yours. My point was that the two are not comparable, because, whatever he feels or doesn't feel about TRLE levels, Magnus is writing reviews about them, whereas you are not.

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 28 Jun 2017 10:28

Mitali - don't really want to argue with you on this one. We have a different point of view re: Magnus and that is perfectly fine in my book. So just to clarify: my response was specific to that part of your statement before:
Mytly wrote:
27 Jun 2017 17:23
... But that's just it - you didn't write those reviews. If Magnus is tired of TRLE as well - and he certainly seems to be ... ... But why exactly is anyone forced to play and review them despite clearly not enjoying either activity?
So, there you are indeed assuming that Magnus is "tired" of this and "not enjoying" the activity - which we really do not know to be the case ...

And just to be clear about my personal note. IF I play a level then I WILL review it - and be honest about my perception of the experience. My "problem" is that I have not had the motivation to even play one in quite some time... ;)

@Phil - good clarification. Perfectly understand your point.

@eRIC & @Moritz - Thanks for your posts - very much in agreement with them.

Talos

Post by Talos » 28 Jun 2017 11:52

If I have to say my opinion on the reviews, the one that has "given me" has nothing constructive. What is constructive to compare a custom level with Fallout? It's a trolling. Bah.
But as I said before, it will not be a silly review without logical sense (because it is visible at all) to prevent me from making levels.
In any case I am glad that my level enjoyed, despite the competition of other larger levels and the little time available. :)

Peace & Love :angel:

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 01 Jul 2017 00:50

I agree with Michael, at least as far as the ratings go. The site doesn't have a grading rubric that reviewers must follow, so every reviewer has established their own way of rating levels. Unless trle.net decides to issue a directive about how to rate levels, it doesn't seem fair to me to expect someone to uproot their grading rubric based on what others are doing. The important part, in my opinion, is that the reviewer uses their rubric consistently. I won't defend his ratings themselves, but I will defend Magnus' right to rate levels his own way, because the site is built around this mindset (as are the calculations used in this competition before determining the rankings).

As for the content...it is a bit harsh from what I've read, and I've been hurt by reviews before, but what I do is try to "trim the fat" and look at how many things I can act upon to improve my future levels. Even if a reviewer doesn't seem to be treating your level objectively enough, that doesn't stop you from treating their review as objectively as you can. It's the same thing I do at work when getting feedback: push aside the hysteria and antics, and look for the real issue that they are trying to communicate to you. Maybe it's just my way of trying to look at the silver lining... :)