Moderator: Gerty

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Sooo... Back to basics 2016

Post by Dutchy » 29 Apr 2017 13:01

Treeble wrote:
22 Apr 2017 15:00
I have another general query regarding the wad. The notes for The Temple of the Venerables state this:
- Lara can pull some large carpet, but you must find the correct position to let her grasp the rug.
I have never identified said large carpet so it might have been there for a secret only. I assume it's a clever SAS bloke or maybe even a trapdoor replacement, but was just wondering if anyone could show me what it looks like so I can keep my eyes peeled in future raids? TIA :)
It is in the house opposite the entrance to the market, coming from the mosque into the passage with the arches, left and upstairs. Only for an object needed to get a secret..

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 29 Apr 2017 13:23

Dutchy wrote:
29 Apr 2017 13:01
Treeble wrote:
22 Apr 2017 15:00
I have another general query regarding the wad. The notes for The Temple of the Venerables state this:
- Lara can pull some large carpet, but you must find the correct position to let her grasp the rug.
I have never identified said large carpet so it might have been there for a secret only. I assume it's a clever SAS bloke or maybe even a trapdoor replacement, but was just wondering if anyone could show me what it looks like so I can keep my eyes peeled in future raids? TIA :)
It is in the house opposite the entrance to the market, coming from the mosque into the passage with the arches, left and upstairs. Only for an object needed to get a secret..
i now recall this secret and i am sure i just stood over it and by a mistake hit action
then lara took it she didn't drew the carpet
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 29 Apr 2017 13:42

Lucky you.. :lol:

Luisa

Post by Luisa » 03 May 2017 15:24

hm... I don't know if this is the right topic, but I would like to ask the team if they think there's going to be any possible delay in the BtB2017 schedule this year due to the contretemps regarding the deliver of the last BtB package ??
"I'm a dangerous girl, and right now I'm losing patience."

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 03 May 2017 16:31

We lost a year in 2012, will likely happen again.

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 03 May 2017 22:01

I remember someone (Scott?) said that objects and textures for the 2017 edition were on the backburner and there'd be no community vote for a theme as to make up for lost time, but I'm not sure about any specifics. I'd guess a similar time frame though (ie opening for registration closer to the end of the year to release the levels around April 2018).

MrJavi94
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MrJavi94 » 04 May 2017 11:22

I've completed the ninth level. Still five to go. What a great time I'm having, as it's also the first BtB event where I'm deciding to play every single entry! :)

I've already done my revised playthrough for all those nine levels, last of which I've finished in 50 minutes (it's quite a merit given its length). I'm talking about Sandstorm over Daraya. This wouldn't have been doable without Dutchy's amazing step by step walkthrough, which I admit I needed this time for the macro puzzle at the beginning. :)

I'm really doubted on which should be the next to play. :D

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 11 Jun 2017 19:00

I just want to leave a thank you note to this year's builders. I had a lot of fun playing this generally amazing Persia BtB and I hope you can see that from my reviews. It may have been the only BtB thus far that really kept me going. Having said that, I'm sorry to say I'm leaving my last one, When Ancients Ruled the World, for some other time because, quite honestly, it's far too complex, not at all intuitive and that seems to be taking all the fun away from it. Sorry. I had to say it and I certainly wasn't going to leave a fake review if I only played it halfway through or so. Maybe it's my fault, I don't know, but, to be bluntly honest, I'm getting very bored.

So, I'm on my way to playing something else. If it matters at all to whomever the builder is, please, think of us players as wanting to have fun the next time you build a game.

This isn't really a rant. It's just my honest review in its rightful place.
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Post by EssGee » 12 Jun 2017 00:35

Hi Jorge
Your critique is useful feedback to the relevant builder, and perhaps to the wider audience of BtB builders in general. I recall a similarly lengthy level a few years ago.
This is a bit of a personal bug-bear of my own. Every year we 'suggest' to the the builders that they should aim to build a level of approximately 1 hour of gameplay. But I guess in the competitive and creative spirit - levels of 3 hours or more continue to end up being built. Sometimes bigger is better but sometimes not.
I think this comes about somewhat because we aim to provide such a huge object wad to provide diversity of levels in order to avoid player boredom, which naturally sets in after to hit about 12-15 levels. But what ends up happening is that the wad diversity inspires more creative ideas to the builders leading to larger 'all objects inclusive' levels.
I'd be happier to see more levels of about an hour gameplay to avoid the potential boredom factor, and thus the likelihood of more reviews being submitted.
Having said that, and although I've only played 1.5 levels so far, the calibre of the released levels appears to have been extremely high this year which is reflected in the overall high average scores. So hats off to all builders, and to players that have reviewed the levels. :2thumbsup:

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 12 Jun 2017 12:03

So glad you understand. :)
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 13 Jun 2017 02:40

I agree as well, some of the levels were just too drawn out for my tastes, but other than that there were a lot of really good submissions this year. I'm happy that I was able to review all of them on time, which I think is the first time I've ever done so for a BTB :) I doubt I would have pulled it off without the stuck forums and the walkthroughs!

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 13 Jun 2017 11:00

Ditto. I did find some levels a bit too long winded, but on the whole I was very pleased indeed. :2thumbsup:

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 13 Jun 2017 17:34

So was I. I'm appalled, however, by the low review count. A couple of the levels still haven't hit double digits.

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 14 Jun 2017 11:04

The review count will increase once the deadline approaches and inveterate procrastinators like myself get our act together and actually post the reviews for the levels we have played (I'm on my 10th BtB 2016 level now, but have reviewed only 5 so far :blush: ). And don't forget dear Magnus who always posts all his reviews on the last day. :wink:

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 26 Jun 2017 19:53

Magnus has obviously been away from Tomb Raider for too long. He knows less now about assigning appropriate review scores to custom levels than he did before.