TR1 Levels

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

TR1 Levels

Post by DJ Full » 01 Feb 2017 13:43

I searched for Treeble's TR1 thread but it's possibly expired.
And that last level I have left from 2016 appears a TR1 one.
That's possibly the reason why I skipped it back then.

This time I set up almost everything: dosbox, graphics, sfx.
But is there any way to get the original CD audios to play?
I know it's possible for TR2 levels, but TR1? Yes? No? How?

Sorry to bother you, possibly it's not that important but:
- I don't wanna overlook something I'm supposed to hear
- I don't wanna rate CD as missing in case if it's not missing.

Any help appreciated, thanks :)
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: TR1 Levels

Post by Treeble » 03 Feb 2017 20:12

I remember that GLRage can be tweaked to play TR1 custom levels at better resolutions than Dosbox allows (including proper widescreen), but I'm not sure about audio support for either version off the top of my head. I'll try and look into it this weekend and let you know what I rustily come up with.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 05 Feb 2017 19:25

I found some info here and progressed a lot.
So you can skip to my current problem :)
Not sure where to find the DDraw shader.

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 05 Feb 2017 19:56

If it's indeed a case of a missing file, it's included in the zip I posted here (which might have been the thread you were looking for in the first place?). I haven't read through the whole discussion on TRF but just move files as necessary to your working installation. My original idea was to provide a 'ready to use' kit, though the lack of replies suggests I may have failed.

EDIT/
I have just tried two levels here. Return to Rome has working background audio though as I played I was a little bit skeptical about the inclusion of audio CD triggers in the first place so I went to a surer bet - Gecko Valley. Although the original PC release of TR1 had no audio tracks, in addition to the bgm the T-Rex theme played, so I'm guessing it works?

EDIT2/
Video (audio triggers roughly at the 02:00 mark). Which reminds me, once you asked me via YT to enable comments on my videos, which I have though you've not once left a comment lol. I figured you just never got my reply. You had my curiosity piqued ever since, but now I can't even find that request anymore... :hammer:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 06 Feb 2017 01:15

Treeble wrote:If it's indeed a case of a missing file, it's included in the zip I posted here (which might have been the thread you were looking for in the first place?).
Ha, yes and yes!
My original idea was to provide a 'ready to use' kit, though the lack of replies suggests I may have failed.
This kit is 'ready to use', just needs music + vcredist as admin. I think I can include all the files and repackage these files to upload to Michael... or maybe better you do it? :)

Anyway, thank you so much. My quest can be finished within days now. Aaaand theeen....
once you asked me via YT to enable comments on my videos, which I have though you've not once left a comment lol. I figured you just never got my reply.
I did, but I deleted my first account before I managed to reply. The point was to relocate videos. Then I lost my motherboard so I had to rebuild the entire workshop. Then I was rushing to finish my Xmas level, what failed as well, largely because of the above reasons... in the process, I not only didn't manage to reply to your reply but also lost all comments and all replies to all comments I ever made.
:hammer:
Oh yes, I can play Twin Hammer as well :hammer: :hammer:

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 06 Feb 2017 23:14

Hm... there's a certain curse upon me. Thanks to you and people on TRF, I managed to get all missing elements, configure the settings and run through minor TR1 levels: Escape from the Base, Return to Rome and Recovering the Scion 1. But the one which separates me from my goal keeps causing me trouble - Recovering the Scion 2 crashes in the second level when I try to climb the sphinx. Here's my savegame, right before and after the level jump, if you want to check what's going on. I see you played that level and had no issues. My GLrage settings are as follows: fullscreen=true, full soundtrack=true, noCD=true, filtering=linear, anisotropy=0, brightness=true, everything else=false.

It's very unfortunate the savegames have a changed format - I cannot continue in DosBOX mode but I would have to restart the whole thing or use the level skip, losing all the pickups from the previous level :|

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 07 Feb 2017 12:19

Sorry, I missed one savegame - this is from before the leveljump.
I also packed the whole Recovering the Scion 2 so you can see what's wrong.

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 07 Feb 2017 23:15

I had played and finished all TR1 levels before GLRage came along, so I did it with the Dosbox setups supplied with each individual level. I'll have a look at this level in particular under GLRage to see if I have better luck in that bit.

EDIT/
GLRage crashing for me as well, will experiment some more though as a last resort we could use a save editor to rebuild your save in "regular" TR1 format? Never tried that myself, but I don't see why it shouldn't work as we are playing these levels under the original "script" files (ie Caves/City of Vilcabamba etc).

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 07 Feb 2017 23:35

I also submitted that repack to the GLrage thread in the blue forums.
Maybe you can supplement each other's infos. I'm totally clueless :D

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 08 Feb 2017 00:26

The fun thing is that now I can't even get the TR1 Dosbox kit to work lol. Totally lost my touch. I suspect there might be a bogus trigger in that spot which is causing issues within GLRage for one reason or another. Hopefully this is the one case only, as GLRage is far 'easier' to handle than all the Dosbox bits and bobs (plus better performance overall). The original game works without any issues, so maybe eventually, if GLRage were to become the norm, a compatibility chart could be made, though that would require replaying all TR1 levels under this new method.

If TRF can't sort you out, we can try the save editor suggestion I made. I am sure I have one stashed away somewhere, haven't touched it in well over a decade though...

EDIT/
Totally wild guess here btw, but I just loaded up level2.phd onto OpenLara and there is no issue climbing the sphinx, so I'm guessing it's a GLRage specific issue. Sorry I sold you the idea. :(

OpenLara provided a bit of amusement though.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 08 Feb 2017 04:33

Treeble wrote:The fun thing is that now I can't even get the TR1 Dosbox kit to work lol.
I put TR1 in c:\whatever
I enter dosbox and type:
mount c c:\whatever
c:
tomb

At least that's the BtB way, I don't know if glide setup had it altered.
One question, could DosBOX enable the soundtrack? Or just sfx?
I suspect there might be a bogus trigger in that spot
Rather not. The game doesn't crash on square edge, but when Lara climbs to certain height.
Like if sticking her butt into the room above the sphinx's paws caused the issue.