advent calendar

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: advent calendar

Post by Jorge22 » 09 Dec 2016 14:11

There is a difference indeed (except for oversensitive builders ;) ).

Demanding is rather strong and may be rude if not justified. Wishing is just... normal. Everyone's entitled. Democracy, free speech etc. There are worse things, you know... I basically almost stopped writing poetry because I'm really not interested in being misinterpreted and having to face it that once it's done it's polysemic and entirely up to the reader to know what it means even if it simply doesn't make much sense.

A nightwish... I don't know what that is. Unless it's the finnish band. :)
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Soul
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Soul » 09 Dec 2016 14:40

What may be a wish from the players perspective could be interpreted as a demand by the creators of the calendars. I wasn't talking about a specific comment here, but it's the feeling I had when working on the calendar the last few years. Whenever handicraft, recipes or tutorials were behind a door there were always a few people, who were annoyed... "just another recipe", "meh, still no level", "the calendar is pretty boring this year", ...

Not whining about not getting enough recognition btw. (:D) ... just stating my opinion that the calendar(s) was/where taken for granted by some and that "laziness" isn't the right term to explain the lack of content this year...at least imo

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 09 Dec 2016 14:50

Laziness has nothing to do with it, I'm sure. Refer to my previous post: it's all free so we can't "demand" anything. Preferring a level to a recipe is a different matter. :)
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 09 Dec 2016 15:03

for me, it's about giving a gift :pressies: to the people who are "regulars" at these sites during a special time of the year. it does require a commitment and it is always my hope that people will see the love :rudolph: that went into the Advent level games and other treasures :xmassheep: that we participants contribute. that's the way it was when I first played an Advent level game. they weren't meant to have enemies, to be three levels long or last 10 hours in playing time, or to test the abilities of the best players. somewhere along the line people started to treat these games like any other "ordinary" game. some of the reviews reflect such mean harshness. this was a gift to you. yes, I can hear the reply - well, you made a game and I'm going to review it or I'm going to make sure everyone knows the building mistakes you made. ok. those are the terms you members set for us builders, but I don't understand why once a year you can't be a little more charitable and just say "thank you". And what about the time and effort that went into creating a lovely poem or a new outfit for Lara :snowman: or a delicious recipe.

Oh well, you've heard this stuff from me before. I'll keep building levels until I can no longer see well enough to use the editor because I love doing it. But you know, I'll bet Advent calendars become a thing of the past because you always thought someone else would pick up the slack. complacency - a dangerous word.
Of doggie candle fame!

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 09 Dec 2016 15:34

That may happen indeed... :( Well, the world does tend to be highly impermanent. One day there will be no more trle either. :uneasy:

Anyway, once again thank you! :yes:

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 10 Dec 2016 07:43

Well, maybe it won't that bad at all...But X-mas customs are very nice, and a good way to relax...Pity, that there is no TR Forge Advent Calendar, but what can we do? Anyway, thanks...And let's see what will be in the next days...

reborn1995

Post by reborn1995 » 12 Dec 2016 04:04

It's a bummer that xmas levels seem to have been in decline over the years. I usually have more fun playing xmas levels than regular ones.
Your life is an occasion. Rise to it. -Mr. Magorium

BigFoot

Post by BigFoot » 12 Dec 2016 17:04

First of all I just would like to thank Mugs for its excellent adventure this years :angel: . I have absolutely loved it :2thumbsup: .

Normally I not take part of this kind of topics.
But, personnaly ... When I see some reviews :-o :cry: about Christmas levels, I can perfectly understand why Xmas levels decline each years :( .
Like Mugs says, it's giving a gift to regulars people :) ... Do you criticize your Christmas presents when you are offered them :angry: ??
Don't search any reasons, builders (not maybe majority) just don't want building for you :| . He/she will realise it's giving jam to pigs ... Sorry.

I also want to say a big thanks for the calendar team :angel: . You do a fabulous job as always :2thumbsup: ... and if possible, I will try to take part next year if I can.

It will be my one and only post about this subject ... I will not answer further messages.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 12 Dec 2016 17:31

"Jam to pigs"... That was a nice one. ;)

Anyway, maybe Christmas levels shouldn't be up for reviews. Then, everyone could be happy. :)

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 12 Dec 2016 18:14

BigFoot wrote:It will be my one and only post about this subject ... I will not answer further messages.
You can't claim the right to speak and ignore our claim to reply, it's what European Government would do.
Still, even if you decided not to reply, I believe you will listen to a reply. That would be fair enough.
BigFoot wrote:When I see some reviews :-o :cry: about Christmas levels, I can perfectly understand why Xmas levels decline each years :(
There's a general decline in levelbuilding, affecting all seasons of the year.
BigFoot wrote:Don't search any reasons, builders (not maybe majority) just don't want building for you :|
I never heard about any serious builder dropping his work because of a review.
Whoever builds for passion and creativity, not for applause, won't retire for such reason.
BigFoot wrote:Do you criticize your Christmas presents when you are offered them :angry: ??
Jorge22 wrote:maybe Christmas levels shouldn't be up for reviews.
If Mugs specializes in Xmas levels and wants to improve them, they're exactly what I should review in first order.
Not reviewing them at all is what would truly result in a long-term decline. So yes, I criticize, but I still enjoy.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 12 Dec 2016 18:29

I was being just a tad ironic. ;)

"General decline in level building" - yep, for several reasons, I think. Mostly:

a) Some builders who still keep building lead perhaps more busy lives than they used to;

b) Some great or promising builders from the past have vanished into thin air;

c) Being "old-gen", classic TR attracts less "young-gen" builders (who may not have even heard about it);

And last but not the least...................

d) Do we ("we" in general) sometimes frighten away some of the rookies?

I may have forgotten something. :)

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 12 Dec 2016 22:53

Just for the record, these comments refer to my personal Christmas levels. I didn't make a reference to reviews because I think my games are so much better than the marks they receive. I meant what I said about my Christmas Advent games being a gift. Whether or not you liked it, found fault with the many aspects of building or just are not a fan of mugs' games is immaterial to me. Many people played my game and enjoyed themselves and were gracious enough to let me know. That makes my day! Of course I know not everyone likes my game, but in my mind those are the people who probably should just not mention they played at all. I was raised to be polite, to thank people for their efforts especially when I know they worked hard to make me happy. Whether or not they succeeded really doesn't matter.
Of doggie candle fame!

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 12 Dec 2016 23:34

you go, girl!

well said! :)

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 13 Dec 2016 02:41

If you also mean my reviews: I don't review in order to dislike.
I'm mostly a fixer, and Xmas games aren't magically error-free.
So in this technical aspect I must treat all levels equally.
I also treat them equally because I never expect them.
This way every level I get feels like a gift, Xmas or not.
You say it's immaterial if we enjoy a gift. I think it's the goal.
To make the better gifts the more we know each other.
And if I don't review your flag field, I'll break your learning curve.
You want me to accept your gift, so recognize mine.

I enjoy your works, the love put into them is touchable.
But while playing them involves fun, reviewing is analysis.
Analysis can skip fun, it shouldn't skip things to fix.
I'm often consumed by the fixes so I forget the thanks.
I prefer to thank you by contributing something instead.
So the review sometimes sounds worse than the fun I had.
Keep it in mind, don't care that much. You're doing great.

There's just one kind of level I truly fail to enjoy.
These levels made for applause, not as a true gift.
The builder wants all the pleasure, not to give a thing.
It also wouldn't matter if it's Xmas period or any other.
In such case no technical abilities can force me to enjoy.
But even then, I analyze the abilities, not succumb to hate.
Possibly a proof I'm doing right is these ultra-low ratings...
The ones I never gave, you never saw and couldn't condemn.
But I will never mistake a "rating" for "award" or "punishment".
It's because some people do this, that other people do this.
It's auto-catalysis, like the sun getting brighter of helium.

EDIT: This took me 3 and half an hour to write, I hate being polite :hammer:
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Mazeh

Post by Mazeh » 23 Dec 2016 13:09

This is just to say that I am mightfully grateful to the nice people responsible for the existence of the Christmas Calendars, and to wish that all of them have a very happy Christmas and a lovely year of 2017. Thank you, guys! :xmastree: