Your All Time Favourite Levels

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Luisa

Your All Time Favourite Levels

Post by Luisa » 27 Oct 2016 23:49

So, I would like to see you guys post a top 5 (or less if you're not into writing that much) of your favorite levels and what makes them so enjoyable to you!

I'll start:

1) Secret Agent by Terra Forever: I love how genuine and atmospheric this urban level looks. The builder's decision to mix up modern urban elements and classic greek motiffs created a very unique ambient and the usage of colorful illumination worked very well in both an aesthetic level and an element to guide the player through the scenery. The open nature of the level might disorient the player at first play, but then it flows well after a while. It is always a pleasure to explore such a wide, complex, interesting scenery and Tomb Raider is all about exploration. I have lost count of how many times I've played it.

2) Mists of Avalon by Titak: Not only this masterpiece has stunning graphics and and enthralling atmosphere as the gameplay is so. on. point. The scenery is wide enough to allow exploration but not too wide for the player to get lost, the enemies are all well placed, the obstacles are difficult enough to be challenging but not as difficult as to frustrate the player. A+ voice acting and A+ animation. I can't wait to play the second part.

3) The Jerusalem Project by Clara, Masha & Sponge: The works of this trio always score huge points with me for choosing original locations and themes for their multi-level games and also by how heavily story-driven their games are, which allows for a further immersion in the gameplay. Not only it has very impressive, authentic reconstitutions of real life places as you can see there's a genuine reverence for the history and culture surrounding the locations. Also, some really clever gameplay choices: playing a lute to make the enemies sleep? Brilliant!

4) Three Ghost Stories by Raidermatty: Best. Christmas. game. ever. Every Christmas level has this magic atmosphere surrounding it, but Three Ghost Stories takes it to a whole other level. Everything from the ilumination to the music to the sound effects makes you think there is indeed something supernatural lurking around the corner just waiting to be discovered. The mystery and wonder is so palpable, you are pretty much swallowed into the game. The change of levels flow so well and the gameplay is so engaging. 10/10

5) Dracula's Return by Clara, Masha & Sponge: Same thing as I said in the beginning of the Jerusalem Project topic plus the really creepy atmosphere and actually scary moments that make you play on the edge of your seat.

Honorable mentions:

Messy Christmas by Codo: perfect blend of Xmas and Joke level. Also: Nyan Cat is a wraith.

Above the Khmer Islands by Nerkan: Nice looking easygoing level for when you want to get distracted.
"I'm a dangerous girl, and right now I'm losing patience."

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Your All Time Favourite Levels

Post by Ryan » 28 Oct 2016 00:02

Here's my Top 5:

1. Himalayan Mysteries by Titak. It has it all, IMO. Gorgeous settings, challenging yet rewarding gameplay and authentic Lara voiceovers.
2. Underworld UB4 by Richard Lawther, Titak, Trix and Bojrkraider. Creative, imaginative and packed full of humour. I probably enjoyed The Asylum the best, but each level was brilliant.
3. Neon God by Horus. Up there with the best. Brilliantly done audio to accompany you throughout, gorgeous surroundings and challenging gameplay. And the Rainbow Lounge was a sight for sore eyes!
4. Tibetan Winter Remake by Mr XY. The lack of enemies didn't put me off one bit as I was so engrossed with the ingenious puzzle-centered gameplay and the beautiful surroundings to explore. I liked using the snowmobile as well as Lara herself for some of the tasks.
5. Mists of Avalon by Titak. The bright luscious areas of the Manor contrasted well with the crypts located beneath. Brilliant voice acting and special little touches added like the PDA and Lara's light source.

Honourable mentions:
Tomb Raider A - The Techno Egyptians by Psiko
Babylon is Fallen by eRIC
The Wrath of Thor by Isis
The Templar Archives by Wasp
Fortress Stonerock by l.m.
The Jerusalem Project by Clara, Masha and Sponge
The Experiment series by Bojrkraider
King Arthur Project by Bashira, Bojrkraider, Delta, LGG_Production, PaoloM and Seifer Zero
The Sanctuary of Water, Ice and Fire
Coyote Creek by The Team
Last edited by Ryan on 31 Oct 2016 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been hearing symphonies, before all I heard was silence".

Ray Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Ray Croft » 28 Oct 2016 00:19

1)The Sacred Emerald by Seth94: Since TR3 is my favorite game out of the official ones, this was the game for me. Love how well built the environments are (Wreck of the RX Explorer for example) and the gameplay was challening (Hard but doable jumps for example or nice pushblock puzzles and lots of exploring)

2) Relics of Power by Seth94: Played and finished all 3 parts which are currently available. My favorite was Part 3 especially the Shipwreck level. I love levels in general where you have to explore and this level is a perfect example in the huge underwater hub area.

3)Neon God by Horus: Unforgettable Experience. Rainbow Lounge. Excellent Gameplay and Level Design. Do i need to say more? lol

4)Atlantis 2 by Baddy: I really like VCI Style levels. And there some really good ideas in this one. The crowbar to kill the enemies, poisoning the wine to get rid of the guard. Also liked how the characters were speaking in German because out of the 3 languages i speak i'm best at german (I'm turkish though)

5) The last Saga 4 by Tomo: Another perfect Base/Lab game where characters speak German. Very well made cutscenes.
Regards, Mert

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 28 Oct 2016 00:20

@Luisa... Was quite enjoyable to read the summary of your opinion on those levels and it is spot on, add to that reasonable scores and maybe you may want to start reviewing?
Where is no challenge there is a boredom

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 28 Oct 2016 12:55

Tomb Raider A - Techno Egyptians
, A long adventure and amazing to look at.

Coyote Creek, Both parts to coyote creek are awesome and has some really cool enemy design.

Barkhangs Nostalgy, A level that is really awesome and (at the end has a level very similar to one in Tomb Raider 2)

Knights of Terafosia. a very awesome level by Magplus has some rather interesting puzzles.

Templar Archives My personal favourite level which starts in venice and ends in an underground tomb. With the best traps and puzzles ever (especially in level 4)
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life.", '

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Mytly » 28 Oct 2016 19:17

1. King Arthur Project by Bashira, Bojrkraider, Delta, LGG_Production, PaoloM & Seifer Zero: This brilliant game has everything I look for in a custom level: unique and challenging gameplay, innovative ideas, beautiful and atmospheric locations, a wide variety of settings.

2. Himalayan Mysteries by Titak: This was the first custom level I ever played, so there's a certain degree of sentimentality attached to my love for this game, but even apart from that, it's a fantastic, beautiful and amazingly imaginative game from start to finish.

3. Underworld UB3 - The Plain of Jars by Richard Lawther & Titak: To be precise, I love the entire Underworld UB series, but part 3 is my favourite, because of the gorgeous 'Plain of Jars' level and the awesome plant-based level 'Hell's Arboretum'.

4. Neon God by Horus: I love almost everything by Horus, but there's no doubt Neon God is her masterpiece. The 'Rainbow Lounge' especially is an unforgettable place.

5. The Jerusalem Project - The Cherubim are Calling by Clara, Masha & Sponge: This talented trio have created a lot of awesome stuff, but nothing quite compares to the brilliance of this huge game. Beautiful locations, intelligent and innovative gameplay, and a time-travel theme - that's everything that's dear to my heart.

Honourable mentions (lots of them):
Egypt and Beyond - The Complete Adventure by QRS
Tibetan Winter Remake by Mr XY
Babylon is Fallen by eRIC
A Time Odyssey by Trix
Jade Empire by illyaine
Mists of Avalon - First Clues by Titak
The Sanctuary of Water, Ice and Fire by Piega
Fragments of the Core by Horus
The Reflection of Eternity by teme9

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 30 Oct 2016 19:14

It's hard to tell as I'm surely going to forget quite a few and I can't mention them in any specific order, anyway. So, the order doesn't matter and I could include a few more some other day:

- Lara at the movies (all - of course);

- A Time Odissey by Trix

- Himalayan Mysteries by Titak

- I am Legend by Clara & Masha

- Planet of the Ancients 3 by Uvavoo

Only 5? Really? I could add a lot more and include short levels too.
Last edited by Jorge22 on 29 Jan 2017 11:46, edited 2 times in total.
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

manarch2
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by manarch2 » 01 Nov 2016 11:56

1. The Jerusalem Project - The Cherubim are Calling by CMS

2. Underworld Unfinished Business series by Richard Lawther (especially parts 1 and 4 - part 3 not so much actually because the gameplay is a bit less inspired IMO)

3. King Arthur Project by the KAP team

4. The Experiment series by Bojrkraider (especially part 3.2)

From here on, it's pretty hard to decide which level should be ranked 5th. There are lots of possible contenders:
Astrodelica 4 by Richard Lawther, Mists of Avalon by Titak, HyperSquare by Psiko, Tomb Raider Redemption by MagPlus, Shalebridge Murder Mystery by Richard Lawther, most levels of l.m., Draculas Return by CMS and perhaps some I missed and there are still many great levels I haven't played...

If I had to choose I'd take Shalebridge, though.

totou

Post by totou » 02 Nov 2016 22:19

For me

1- Neon God from Horus
2- Reign of Chaos from several builders
3 - Beyond the scion from essgee
4- A time odysee from Trix
5 - TR4 Fading light from Cowboy
6 - The quest of gold gold from TC14
7 - Italian exploration from tweetygee
8- The lazarus curse from Peacefrog
9- Ancient legends III from Driber
10 - The revenge of osiris by several builders

and special thanks to Piega, Trix, Horus, LM, Lima, bjor, kraider, Titak , CMS and QRS and many more

Alfonzo

Post by Alfonzo » 29 Jan 2017 07:50

This one required me to take a good look back (way way back)
All of these are favorites. Some are in categories and a few extra thrown in; If (like me) you're looking for some really good levels to play.

Time Odyssey by Trix
If I had to choose just one - and only one - level this would be it !
This was Trix's last level to be released and she saved the best for last. So many good things going on here... too many to list and I want to get to others before I start to ramble on & on. **Warning** there are some pretty tricky jumps in this one that will require your best skills. I had to use the flare cheat to get one of them after trying it (the old fashioned way) about 100 times

TR 1 revised by Daoine Sidhe
Giving props to the original game; Here is an excellent remastering of the original game. Highly recommended if you never played the original and/or you only have Windows etc. etc. No Dosbox or Glide wrappers needed here. just download and play. There are just enough changes to make it worth playing and still be the same game we have all come to know so well. ...sound,music and all....

Best Xmas Level - Lara's Magical Xmas adventures
A multi-author, multi-level project that takes a little while to finish. Very Good quality. lots of customization with a very Christmas-sy feel and look. *Warning* there is a bug that will only allow you to forge the key once and only once. Reloading, saving .....try as much as you want... you can only do it once. So...you better save it after you use the furnace and the raw iron to make that key because (just like in life sometimes) you don't get a second chance.

Best underdog Author/ Level designer - Daffy
This French Author has got to be the most underrated level designer in the entire world !
This author is just as talented as G Mac, Mr XY, Titiak, Trix, Raider X, Jedi Master, Oxy and yet I hear/see so few things about 'em
So many good levels here... Escape in the Pacific - Lara's Stroll - Peruvian Adventures - Wacky. Played them all - loved them all

Best Year - Back to Basics was 2010 Venice
I have to admit that this was.... by far.... the best BTB contest ever with six levels scoring a 9 or better rating.
I am seriously jealous of the judges because it must have been pure pleasure playing and picking their favorite level in that contest.

Small But Packs a big punch levels
Sanctuary of Fire,Water & Ice by Piega
Fortress Stonerock by Leif Melles
Celtic Folly by Inchdix
Lost Island by Joker
Every one of these levels has a smaller download size but don't be fooled by that. There is enough Tomb Raiding goodness to last and each one sticks out in my mind for their features, themes and excellent gameplay.

Highly Recommended levels and Honorable Mentions
Lara Croft & the forgotten Scribe by Leonvdn It's been a while since I've played this one but I do remember it being well worth the effort.

Quantic Island by Greywolf It has some unusual moments. good gameplay (Giant Ladybugs, green tigers anyone?) a well crafted maze and pushblock puzzles and to top it off.... Pink Floyd music to give a peculiar quality..... "help me please. I gotta get away from all these skeletons"

Flashback by George MacGiver
Poseidon's Sanctum by Sarikman (the original) made with the TR 3 level editor
The Training - Episode Zero by DNF productions
Beyond The Scion by EssGee
Prometheus Legacy by Francesco Venco

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 29 Jan 2017 11:46

Jorge22 wrote:It's hard to tell as I'm surely going to forget quite a few and I can't mention them in any specific order, anyway. So, the order doesn't matter and I could include a few more some other day:

- Lara at the movies (all - of course);

- A Time Odissey by Trix

- Himalayan Mysteries by Titak

- I am Legend by Clara & Masha

- Planet of the Ancients 3 by Uvavoo

Only 5? Really? I could add a lot more and include short levels too.
Indeed I could add more and make a top 100 list instead. :)
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 29 Jan 2017 11:56

well u have 19 now :-o
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 29 Jan 2017 13:10

I'm amazed that Psiko's Hypersquare is nowhere in the mix.

Trying to pick my top five would be a futile exercise for me. I can think of 25 or more releases that would be tied for #1.

Ray Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Ray Croft » 29 Jan 2017 14:46

Phil wrote:I'm amazed that Psiko's Hypersquare is nowhere in the mix.
I think that's because of how challenging it was to finish the game. I remember that even badassgamez from YouTube said in his stream that he'd be glad when its finally over. I could read the same on tombraiderforums.com that some people didn't even get past the first level and just quit.

I think i quit at the Hypercube level but can't really remember. I've always prefered levels which resemble the classics and that is also my building style from now on. I might participate in next year's BtB though because until there i'll be more experienced and i like that you get the wad and textures.

But yeah no doubt that Hypersquare is amazing
Regards, Mert

MrJavi94
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MrJavi94 » 29 Jan 2017 20:41

The two first levels of HyperSquare are really challenging, even I'd dare to say slightly harder than some of Taras' levels. Also Endless World is quite a bit hard at some points but that's not a problem for me. I indeed enjoy a lot this kind of gameplay, as well as very tight timed runs - ohh, how I love that. :D

I also left the game at Time Distortions (no idea why), and I should finish it sometime soon.