What are your favourite custom level genres?

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

What are your favourite custom level genres?

Post by Ryan » 01 Sep 2016 18:07

Not sure if there is a topic that focuses on this, but I'll post here anyway. I would love to know what types of custom levels that you really like, to see how tastes differ. I'll start: I am not really a fan of shooters (well, I would be if Lara had the distinct advantage over her enemies :D), or base levels, because you can't really do much with the traditional format. I do like snowy levels because they are often very atmospheric and ship levels because I am a fan of the Maria Doria segment from TR2 and any level that allows me to delve into a bit of nostalgia is a plus in my book. I also like the Advent and Easter levels just because they are pleasant and lighthearted. :)

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: What are your favourite custom level genres?

Post by Mytly » 01 Sep 2016 18:58

I like most genres, really ... except Shooters, which I usually avoid like the plague. :-P I'm not too fond of Base/Lab type levels either, but I wouldn't really deliberately avoid them. I like City levels, but mostly non-modern cities - for example, I love Venice-based levels, or any kind of old town (for example, the city levels of The Jerusalem Project). Xmas and Cold/Snowy levels usually tend to be lovely and atmospheric, but, IMO, the gameplay tends to be not that challenging (there are several exceptions to this rule, of course). Same with Home levels. Egypt or Cave/Cat levels are almost always fun, though it does get teensy bit boring after a while if they use only the classic textures/objects. One genre that I love without any reservations is Oriental - I really wish there were more levels in this category (I tried making one myself ... didn't really work out :( ).

Luisa

Post by Luisa » 01 Sep 2016 23:53

I love to play Christmas levels anytime of the year because of the atmosphere and easy gameplay. I also like levels set in acient cities like Rome. And I enjoy the the Complex Simplicity castle levels and Egypt levels, especially when made with original objects and textures.

EDIT: I would also like to see more levels on the Celtic/Nordic class. It seems builders have just lost interest on them after BtB2013 :(
"I'm a dangerous girl, and right now I'm losing patience."

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 05 Sep 2016 15:59

I don't think any builder will pay much attention to this as they'll keep building whatever pleases them. Which is just fine and absolutely normal.

But here it goes: I like sci-fi and base/lab levels as well as city levels best. But I much prefer it if a builder takes you to different places and times.

Most of all, I like really well-built levels that aren't too easy nor too difficult. :)
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 05 Sep 2016 16:10

hmmmmm
aren't too easy nor too difficult. :)
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 06 Sep 2016 16:14

Of course. Because I bet most of us are happy feeling we solved a few "major challenges" on our own (not having to resort to stuck forums/walkies) and kept moving on smoothly.

It's the same thing with books. A writer can be "modern" and "deep" without making his readers feel as if they're studying some really obscure thesis - that is, working hard as opposed to enjoying.

It's the same thing with any art form actually. Every new artist will overcomplicate and include all kinds of annoying and worthless details. The really experienced, quality artist knows the meaning of restraint.
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 17 Sep 2016 22:54

I am also a fan of "floating islands" levels. I have fond memories of that particular Tomb Raider 2 level. I even chucked Lara off one of the ledges to see how high it was! :lol:

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Mytly » 18 Sep 2016 14:51

Ooh, yes, I love floating islands levels too! A pity there aren't more of them in custom levels. But I guess they're kind of hard to build. TC14's Mystic Experience from the Quest of Gold levels is one of the best in this genre, IMO. :)

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by rjb » 18 Sep 2016 16:28

:idea: And perhaps Uvavoo's `Aerial Domain` in `Planet of the Ancients 3` would be another? :think:
"He enables me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul ..."[Ps 23:2-3]

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 18 Sep 2016 20:09

Uvavoo, yes. Such a shame that we keep losing some of the most interesting builders...

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 19 Sep 2016 16:41

Everybody might have favourite type of locations but, in my opinion, what matters the most is that it really doesn`t matter what kind of location the level takes place in but how the location captures the atmosphere so that it immerse me into it and not to forget about variety of them, what is very important especially in multilevel games
Where is no challenge there is a boredom

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 22 Oct 2016 20:37

Theres not alot of them but atlantis Levels are awesome.
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life."