Custom level pet peeves?

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Luisa

Custom level pet peeves?

Post by Luisa » 08 Jun 2016 22:48

Complementarily to my previous thread, I would like to know what makes raiders bothered to encounter in fan games.

I'm going first: it really irritates me when builders include tricky jumps, complicated puzzles or anything too challenging in the very beginning of the first level of their games. In my opinion, the beginning of your level/levelset should have a fluid gameplay as to allow the player to get hooked by your game so when they finally encounter a difficult step they would feel compelled to overcome it for the sake of going on into this game with which they grew accustomed to. I do think there should be a progression on how difficult the level/levelset presents itself.
"I'm a dangerous girl, and right now I'm losing patience."

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Custom level pet peeves?

Post by Ryan » 08 Jun 2016 23:18

I don't like too tricky jumps either, or too much darkness. It irks me when darkness is used to stumble the player. You have to light a flare every few steps just to get through! :annoyed:
"I've been hearing symphonies, before all I heard was silence".

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 09 Jun 2016 00:22

Darkness also annoys me if it is over large areas. I'm OK if it is used as a scare tactic in a small area though (very small, like one room). A fun compromise to this issue can be to have the player find a way to turn on the lights :idea:

One thing that is a pretty consistent pet peeve of mine is torches. Builders tend to expect players to perform pretty ridiculous maneuvers with the torches, most of which are actually bugs, or at least not intended by Core Design. (Ever draw weapons while jumping up to drop a torch on a higher ledge?) On top of that, it is hard to tell just how far you're expected to carry a single torch - and when that ends up being across multiple levels, that can cause a massive amount of backtracking (assuming the torch was dropped someplace where you can even pick it up again). It is also pretty easy for builders to obfuscate places where the torch can be used. Overall I am not a fan, although I do appreciate when builders leave signs for players like "drop torch here" or "keep the torch with you!" :)

I'm sure I'll come up with more things to rant about in this thread... :-P

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 09 Jun 2016 00:26

JesseG wrote:Darkness also annoys me if it is over large areas. I'm OK if it is used as a scare tactic in a small area though (very small, like one room). A fun compromise to this issue can be to have the player find a way to turn on the lights :idea:

One thing that is a pretty consistent pet peeve of mine is torches. Builders tend to expect players to perform pretty ridiculous maneuvers with the torches, most of which are actually bugs, or at least not intended by Core Design. (Ever draw weapons while jumping up to drop a torch on a higher ledge?) On top of that, it is hard to tell just how far you're expected to carry a single torch - and when that ends up being across multiple levels, that can cause a massive amount of backtracking (assuming the torch was dropped someplace where you can even pick it up again). It is also pretty easy for builders to obfuscate places where the torch can be used. Overall I am not a fan, although I do appreciate when builders leave signs for players like "drop torch here" or "keep the torch with you!" :)

I'm sure I'll come up with more things to rant about in this thread... :-P
I agree, Jesse. And also, what happens if you lose the torch? You are irretrievably stuck and have to reload. Unless you DOZY, I suppose.

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Scottie » 09 Jun 2016 01:50

-Darkness
-Mazes
-excessive Box pushing/pulling
Resistance is futile

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 10 Jun 2016 09:35

Squashed and misplaced textures and cracks, especially under water. If the gameplay is good though, I tend to not care about it ;)
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Mytly » 10 Jun 2016 18:40

Darkness and mazes are my major pet peeves. Dark mazes are, of course, the worst. Well, actually, underwater mazes (dark or not) are the worst. :-P

Lack of cameras can be extremely irritating too - especially in case of timed runs. How are players supposed to know what door a timed switch opens, given that the door will probably close before you see it unless you know exactly where you're supposed to go - which you wouldn't without a camera clue? Even if the door isn't timed, if it's somewhere on the opposite side of the map, it's just plain courtesy to players to show them where it is, so that they don't go wandering all around the place looking for it.

Actually, come to think of it, what my real pet peeve is a lack of courtesy towards the players on the builder's part. I don't mind difficult stuff that's part of the challenge of the level: tricky jumps, complex manoeuvres, (moderately) obscure puzzles, long pushable sequences ... those are all fine. But when the builder expects players to know stuff that he/she does, but the players have no way of knowing (such as which door a timed switch opens or walk-through walls) without giving them any clue -that's when I get really annoyed. :|

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 17 Jun 2016 22:57

I'd prefer a visual clue more often than not as well, otherwise I would have to use the walkthrough. Talking of walkthroughs, I also hate doing something in a way that a builder didn't intend, like pulling a switch before you are supposed to or getting somewhere too early. You have to reload a previous save or start afresh. Another pet peeve of mine is disabling save games. If it's to add an element of challenge, I don't see it. It is frustrating when you die and have to start from the beginning. :|

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 17 Jun 2016 23:46

It's nothing specific in my case, just facing nonsense in general.
For example I'm now playing a fight where you monkey swing while Sophia fires at you with her blaster stick.
And it's NOT the first time I see such design...

Other things which bother me are these which DO make sense but are made highly impractical just in order to make sense.
For instance letting a raptor roam a fully open level and demanding from a player to guess it drops a crucial pickup.

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 18 Jun 2016 00:55

That reminds me of a time where only the act of impaling a scorpion with a spike trap (just on one tile,mind you) would open a door. Wait...what? :? And the spike traps were activated by one-time-use levers. Talk about rough.

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Mytly » 18 Jun 2016 11:17

DJ Full wrote:It's nothing specific in my case, just facing nonsense in general.
For example I'm now playing a fight where you monkey swing while Sophia fires at you with her blaster stick.
And it's NOT the first time I see such design...
Ugh, yes, this sort of thing is high on my list of pet peeves: Lara getting attacked while she has no way of defending herself. Like when she is swimming without a way to get out of the water and enemies keep shooting at her from land. Or when she's attacked during a flyby. Or getting attacked by wraiths at any time, because there's no way to defend against them. Wraiths are ok if they're placed close to where you can get rid of them, but when you have to perform like twenty different kinds of gymnastics and do a timed run and push a block multiple squares to get to where you can get rid of one wraith, it's really too much. :hammer:

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 18 Jun 2016 13:18

And then the builder complains about the review not being fair :laugh4: (my pet peeve :-P )
Oops, I did it again... Image

justin

Post by justin » 20 Jun 2016 11:19

I'm taking notes, so that I may create the least fun level ever :lol:
Dark Skies loom...

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 20 Jun 2016 14:04

Mytly wrote: Wraiths are ok if they're placed close to where you can get rid of them, but when you have to perform like twenty different kinds of gymnastics and do a timed run and push a block multiple squares to get to where you can get rid of one wraith, it's really too much. :hammer:
Kind of reminds me of my own "Wrath of the Wraith" level. Also what I felt when I last played it haha :angel: :blush: :lol:
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 20 Jun 2016 17:32

Don't forget to note that particular situation where you have a heckload of statics and have to guess which one is the wraith killer...