questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Custom level pet peeves?

Post by DJ Full » 02 Jul 2016 18:21

That particular one was Mystery of Eden but it occurs in many releases -
- great coherency of one part but not enough transition or context with another.

I reminded myself of another peef (is this a proper singular?).
When a builder doesn't specify if to turn VolFX off or keep it on.
And you need to guess :)
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Jenni

Post by Jenni » 02 Jul 2016 21:24

It's annoying when the builder wants you to turn on/off volFX but don't provide a setup file to do so. I never remember how to make one so just have the play the game as is. If you want settings to be changed, include a set up file so settings can be changed please!

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 02 Jul 2016 21:36

Setup files don't work if your game folder is in a different location than the builder's. It's best to create your own. It's not that hard - just create a shortcut to the tomb4.exe file, open up properties of the shortcut, and in the target field enter -setup at the end. Many of the recent levels (ones built with FLEP, I guess) make it even simpler - just hold Ctrl while clicking the tomb4.exe file, and it will open up the setup dialog.
DJ Full wrote:I reminded myself of another peef (is this a proper singular?).
When a builder doesn't specify if to turn VolFX off or keep it on.
And you need to guess :)
Well, 90% of the time, keeping it on works. If it's supposed to be off because there's distance fog, it's fairly easy to tell from the horizon. There are only a few levels in which it's not very clear.

Btw, the singular is just 'peeve' ... though I must say, I rather like 'peef'. :D

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by rjb » 02 Jul 2016 22:45

Ditto on `peef` :2thumbsup: :rolleyes4:
"He enables me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul ..."[Ps 23:2-3]

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 02 Jul 2016 23:08

Jenni wrote:It's annoying when the builder wants you to turn on/off volFX but don't provide a setup file to do so. I never remember how to make one so just have the play the game as is.
Sometimes the setup file is included but it doesn't run anyway. It might have something to do with remembering the old path. So in such case you need to tweak with RMB>Properties anyway. If you include the '-setup' parameter yourself, you're sure all the paths are correct and it works.

And that's still nothing. Sometimes when you run the setup you notice there's no widescreen option included. Even master levels like Beyond the Scion contained this error. In such case you have to repatch the executable yourself in order to avoid squished display. Very often the patching includes complex modifiers, not all visible from the beginning of the game, so it's partial trial and error to choose the same TREP settings as the builder did. I remember when I began tweaking with them, I got stuck in a level because the author enabled standable pushables and I didn't realize...

Then I got some knowledge and provided some widescreen exes to Michael, but even today I fail with certain combinations which crash the level or take took too much time to finish - for instance Courel's Sands require widescreen but after each exe modification I would have to replay the whole set to ensure it works. If it comes to this I mostly try to get the patch info by contacting the author, who - if still available - usually replies with "sorry, I forgot already" :roll:

uzi master

Post by uzi master » 03 Jul 2016 10:34

Wouldn't try that with any of my levels, they pretty much all rely on custom flipeffects for important things; good luck guessing those!

Though I have to wonder how they can forget the settings, do they not keep a file of their building folder around?

TREP does have an option for forcing volumetric FX, so sometimes you don't need to worry about it anyway.

scottchu

Post by scottchu » 09 Jul 2016 19:30

I like to take my time to solve puzzle, find secrets. So I don't like time run.
I may get older, but my heart for Lara is always young!
msn: scottchu_tw@hotmail.com
yahoo: scottchu.tw
email: scottchu.tw@gmail.com

Luisa

Post by Luisa » 12 Jul 2016 23:45

I just remembered something: I understand that some games are originally made to be released on foreign pages, but if you really plan on later distributing them on international websites like TRLE.net, as most builders do, please consider having the wording of your game in English as a courtesy for players all around the world. I once played a level in which the in-game missions were given in Italian with no English translations, I had to Alt+Tab between the game and the walkthrough to have some idea of what to do. I understand having the audio of your cutscenes in your mother tongue because you're not so confident on your pronunciation, but even then please add some subtitles. I just started a game that opened with a long cutscene in German and I think a lot of the gaming experience is lost when you're alienated from the full context of the story.
"I'm a dangerous girl, and right now I'm losing patience."

JoeTheCrazyGamer

Post by JoeTheCrazyGamer » 24 Jul 2016 21:43

I would have to say when players disable certain moves there was this one level released in the end of last year where she couldn't crouch or sprint. (I dont remember what it was called), Another bad one is one i've seen a few times where builders remove the fact it shows you what you pick you. Another one is lack of secrets. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Worse of all for me is when TRLEs have multiple download pages.
"I understand that somehow is in my favour, so indulge me about the dagger. I'd be indebted with your life.", '

Luisa

Post by Luisa » 17 Aug 2016 01:22

Crazyboy124 wrote:Another one is lack of secrets.
Oh boy... I feel this is the most unpopular opinion on Tomb Raider games ever but I'm not a big fan of secrets... I think they can lead to very frustrating detours on the gameplay, especially if you're stuck. Like, you finally spot that hidden crawlspace in the shadows and go through it thinking it will advance the game but turns out it was only so you could collect a trinket... unless by "secrets" you mean well-hidden supplies like ammo and medipacks.
"I'm a dangerous girl, and right now I'm losing patience."

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 17 Aug 2016 02:20

While we're on the subject of secrets, I think that "true" secrets are the ones like in The Lost Artifact, which gain you access to totally new areas that you may not even glimpse if you followed the conventional path through the level. I remember I had a hard time locating them... :lol:

psiko

Post by psiko » 17 Aug 2016 23:23

Ryan wrote:While we're on the subject of secrets, I think that "true" secrets are the ones like in The Lost Artifact, which gain you access to totally new areas that you may not even glimpse if you followed the conventional path through the level. I remember I had a hard time locating them... :lol:
This. Tr3 was on this way too, even if not for all of them.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 18 Aug 2016 01:02

Hidden parts of Lost Artifact were what I enjoyed the most, it's worth to notice they weren't just extra locations but many of them had their dedicated objects like pterosaurs, mutants, Nessie's guts or Watt's steam engine. In custom levels there is also no greater reward for me than for instance reaching the top of the plasma heat machine in Frozen in Time: Settlement, battling the hidden enemy in Coyote Creek 2 or activating the geyser in Armageddon's Temple. Then you switch the level, find a crawlspace with a smallmedi and it's like meh...

But many players don't aim for total completion so they will never find this stuff. It's even more horrifying to realize how much risk the authors took while putting a lot of effort into design which will largely remain undiscovered forever.

It's a constant unsolvable dilemma. When I build a level I always start with a supersecret challenge in mind but then I realize I may have just one chance to tell it all, and therefore I end with a huge load of small obvious secrets instead.

scottchu

Post by scottchu » 18 Aug 2016 16:18

Crazyboy124 wrote:Another one is lack of secrets.
I am a big fan of secrets. Actually, I regard myself as a heavy secret bounty hunter. I'd like to go back playing again a game I already finished just for a missing secret. However, such a secret should be designed subltly with unexpected and creative way to "cheat" players. I remember there is a very brilliant design of secrets in an old game level that hides another secret in a hard-to-find secret place. When I am so happy to find first hard secret, I am exciting and then get the secret and leave. I just miss that 2nd secret. I never see such design in later game levels. That was just great one! :2thumbsup:
I may get older, but my heart for Lara is always young!
msn: scottchu_tw@hotmail.com
yahoo: scottchu.tw
email: scottchu.tw@gmail.com