What would you like to see in a TR custom level?

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Luisa

What would you like to see in a TR custom level?

Post by Luisa » 08 Jun 2016 22:30

I don't know if this is the right forum to create this topic... but anyway,

Is there something you'd like to see in a Tomb Raider fan level that not many builders have included in their games? A different setting? A specific form of game play? New weapons? Let's us know in the answers so builders of this community may feel inspired :)
"I'm a dangerous girl, and right now I'm losing patience."

mugs
Admin
Admin

Re: What would you like to see in a TR custom level?

Post by mugs » 08 Jun 2016 22:47

I would like to see some new human-form enemies.
Of doggie candle fame!

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 09 Jun 2016 14:19

some of psiko's new Lara moves/jumps from Hyper Square :D

uzi master

Post by uzi master » 09 Jun 2016 14:41

mugs wrote:I would like to see some new human-form enemies.
More enemies you say? Okay! :D

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 09 Jun 2016 14:52

She said "new", not "more" :D

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 09 Jun 2016 16:31

bene wrote:some of psiko's new Lara moves/jumps from Hyper Square :D
indeed :2thumbsup:
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

mugs
Admin
Admin

Post by mugs » 09 Jun 2016 17:46

I would also like to see some kick, push-pull doors that are closer to 6 clicks when the frame is applied.
Of doggie candle fame!

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 09 Jun 2016 17:53

I would like to see Lara driving a car, something normal for once. Wishful thinking, I know! :lol:
"I've been hearing symphonies, before all I heard was silence".

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Mytly » 09 Jun 2016 18:49

I would like a see a wider - much wider - range of locations. Even after all these years and all these improvements in the level building tools and huge number and variety of objects and textures available, it seems as if most level builders simply cannot think beyond the locations of the original games. Even when builders go through the trouble of building a completely new texture and object set from scratch, the inexplicably choose to build locations from the original games - for example, Max's Ancient Artifact II, which is spectacular in many ways, still has the same old locations and settings: Venice, Ireland, a mine, a lab, etc. seen in the original games. Why not build something completely new and unseen in the original games? There are lots of ancient civilizations and modern countries that Lara has rarely or never explored in the original games or custom levels. How about a level set in the ruins of the ancient Indus Valley civilization? How about if Lara goes exploring the glaciers and volcanoes of Iceland? How about a level set in New Zealand? What about the rest of the continent of Africa, apart from Egypt? There are so many possibilities - let your imagination run wild, guys. :)

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 09 Jun 2016 22:14

Mytly wrote:I would like a see a wider - much wider - range of locations. Even after all these years and all these improvements in the level building tools and huge number and variety of objects and textures available, it seems as if most level builders simply cannot think beyond the locations of the original games. Even when builders go through the trouble of building a completely new texture and object set from scratch, the inexplicably choose to build locations from the original games - for example, Max's Ancient Artifact II, which is spectacular in many ways, still has the same old locations and settings: Venice, Ireland, a mine, a lab, etc. seen in the original games. Why not build something completely new and unseen in the original games? There are lots of ancient civilizations and modern countries that Lara has rarely or never explored in the original games or custom levels. How about a level set in the ruins of the ancient Indus Valley civilization? How about if Lara goes exploring the glaciers and volcanoes of Iceland? How about a level set in New Zealand? What about the rest of the continent of Africa, apart from Egypt? There are so many possibilities - let your imagination run wild, guys. :)
Well said, well said. Or maybe a level set in an American state, just out of interest. :)
"I've been hearing symphonies, before all I heard was silence".

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 09 Jun 2016 22:28

Ryan wrote:
Mytly wrote:I would like a see a wider - much wider - range of locations. Even after all these years and all these improvements in the level building tools and huge number and variety of objects and textures available, it seems as if most level builders simply cannot think beyond the locations of the original games. Even when builders go through the trouble of building a completely new texture and object set from scratch, the inexplicably choose to build locations from the original games - for example, Max's Ancient Artifact II, which is spectacular in many ways, still has the same old locations and settings: Venice, Ireland, a mine, a lab, etc. seen in the original games. Why not build something completely new and unseen in the original games? There are lots of ancient civilizations and modern countries that Lara has rarely or never explored in the original games or custom levels. How about a level set in the ruins of the ancient Indus Valley civilization? How about if Lara goes exploring the glaciers and volcanoes of Iceland? How about a level set in New Zealand? What about the rest of the continent of Africa, apart from Egypt? There are so many possibilities - let your imagination run wild, guys. :)
Well said, well said. Or maybe a level set in an American state, just out of interest. :)
I could definitely see various US states offering contributions to the different categories. New England (New Hampshire/Maine especially) for a forest/mountain level, the mountain states for "desert" or wild west, Hawaii for tropical, Alaska for snow...ah, that reminds me that I have so much of the US left to explore... :)

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 09 Jun 2016 22:50

I had posted somewhere a map of countries Lara has visited already.
Dark green in official games, light green only in custom levels.
But I totally forgot where it is. If you can find it you can repost it here :)

Luisa

Post by Luisa » 09 Jun 2016 23:09

I would like to see more city levels of the likes of Terra Forever's Tomb Raider Secret Agent. Most city levels I play have very unconvincing settings, with big textured boxes pretending to be buildings, narrow streets and whatnot. But Secret Agent's ambience really feels like an authentic city, full with wide streets, tall buildings, trains, gardens, etc.

I would also like to see more levels done with Meta2TR or other softwares for graphic enhancing. Atmosphere plays an important role on how engaging your game is and having better graphics can really make a difference.

Now that I thought, I would love to see a Tomb Raider Secret Agent remake with Meta2TR. My favorite game of all time with breathtaking graphics! Such a shame Terra Forever is not building levels anymore...
"I'm a dangerous girl, and right now I'm losing patience."

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 10 Jun 2016 00:15

If you don't mind time travel then Jerusalem Project has the best ancient city and HyperSquare has the best future one.

psiko

Post by psiko » 10 Jun 2016 08:10

What I want in a CL?
The unexpected. On any of the features, may it be a location, a plot twist, an enemy, an audio track, an enigma..

About this:
Mytly wrote:it seems as if most level builders simply cannot think beyond the locations of the original games. Even when builders go through the trouble of building a completely new texture and object set from scratch, the inexplicably choose to build locations from the original games
I am around CL world for a while ( XD ) but only recently I got what some refer when they say that my levels aren't "tomb raider". I got it in the few past months, when ROTTR was released officially and I was disappointed: but soon I changed my mind, not in what I think about new TR games (I generally like them), but in the way I percieve them in confrontation with classics from Core. I think it's something about what TR is for each of us, and so I understood that there was no reason to keep the disappointment for such differences from Core's games, for so low sells of ROTTR.. and the fact that now, Crystal TR new generation of players can't enjoy Core's as much as we did, unless they like retro-gaming.. If ROTTR is the way "they think TR is", nobody should tell them what "to think" or that a "thought" is better than another, so my disappointments disappeared.
So, to stay on topic, I think what Mytly refers to, is that some designers simply do not mind creating new games: for them TRLE (I mean the actual range of programs to build levels) is not a tool to create "new games", but a way to rebuild what "TR is for them", that is, remake the feelings/locations/enigmas/enemies from official games. For them TRLE is "making what official games made, because what is officially released, is TR": that's why there were "remakes" of ROTTR Lara's outfit even before the official game was out. Personally, since the beginning, on Novembern of the year 2000, I thought that TRLE was to make "tr games", which meant for me, new games (each year), with new locations, with a story that unfolds gradually and grows on the mystical/fantasy side like TR1 (Atlantis), tr2 (a magical dragon, a powerful dagger) and tr3 (a sci-fi meteor that holds the secrets of evolution and a "researcher" -of power? of life secrets?- that got "his heart corrupted", lol, and wants to achieve his goals faster, or simply he wants to genetically "evolve").
:)
Every new Core game was rounded by pre-release guessings about which new locations were going to be included, and about lara's new moves. I think, and I try to do this myself, that giving new locations, new stories, new moves (etc.) in every new fan release, is a must-do for a TR custom game that wants to be "really" TR. :) Some others share the other vision about what TRLE is supposed to be for (that is, it is for remakes), and it's still fine :) In the end, there are players who want the one or the other type of game. What I think also, is that "in the beginning" (both for players who just discovered custom levels and designers who just started building) the first vision is predominant (they usually start with Lara's home or want TRAOD remake or sequel), and in this "fase" they are not even interested in, or even able to notice, other different projects. But after they get a bit expert (not in timed runs or in impossible jumps, but simply they played some more), they long for the second approach :)