Feder - Nordic Adventure Soundtrack

stuck in a level/unofficial level editor

Moderators: QRS, Gerty

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Feder - Nordic Adventure Soundtrack

Post by Ryan » 04 May 2020 18:05

I'm currently setting this one up to play. I couldn't play it directly from the download as I encountered the issue mentioned in the readme where it just wouldn't load up, so I used Feder's tip on replacing the data files. However, when I get to the main menu (playing via Dosbox), no background track plays (although the music folder is also present). Is this normal (and the music will play when an event occurs) or have I missed a step?

EDIT: Fixed it. I downloaded the ATI version afresh and it turned out I was missing a couple of dll files (the MSVCP140.dll & VCRUNTIME140.dll) so I just downloaded them and hey presto, it worked. :D
No one but ourselves can free our minds...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Feder - Nordic Adventure Soundtrack

Post by Jorge22 » 05 May 2020 15:18

Q (just so that I don't nedd to post a different thread for the same game): it isn't that normal to have TR1 games. Does the normal download work without any further ados? Should we download the Dos Box version instead? What's the difference? Thanks.

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 05 May 2020 17:25

Jorge, the ATI version (the one which appears when you just press the download button) should just work straight from the download as is, provided you have everything necessary installed on your computer, Microsoft Visual Studio-wise. You shouldn't need to download external software to play it. I believe that the DOSbox version is a bit more finicky to get to work correctly.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 05 May 2020 18:07

Thanks. :)

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 07 May 2020 10:30

Jorge22 wrote:
05 May 2020 15:18
Should we download the Dos Box version instead? What's the difference?
DosBOX download also includes the start.bat file.
You open that one and it opens the game for you.

Settings can be adjusted as in tomb4, but from dosbox.conf, open with notepad.exe.
You can set resolution, vsync, shaders etc. Worth trying AND easier than you think :)
woof

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 07 May 2020 10:55

Thanks, DJ.

In the meantime, among working, confinement and chores, after many, many hours, I'm still trying to finish The Templar Treasure's last level. It isn't going to be one of my best reviews because it's so huge and full of stuff I can't remember most of it anymore. And I may have one thing or another to play before the Nordic Adventure. But it's good to know when the time comes. :)

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 18 May 2020 17:43

I can't imagine why any builder would release a game without all necessary files included with the download package. Neither version (ATI or Dosbox) gets out of the gate for me. Both attempts result in an error message saying so-and-so file not found. I'm not in the mood to go hunting for these files, so screw it, I'll play something else.

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 18 May 2020 17:54

Phil, that sounds like a Microsoft Office Redistributable error. If you are still interested in playing this game (although you did seem pretty sure that you weren't), then downloading the version released in 2015 on Microsoft's official website should fix that issue (and hopefully any future errors). I had to change them round a bit to get The Lost Secret of Egypt working properly, but even though I just downloaded the package recently, both that game and Nordic Adventure seem to work fine now.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 18 May 2020 18:15

Thanks for the feedback, Ryan, I'm a little calmer now.

Here's what the readme says in the Dosbox version:

ABOUT THE DOSBOX VERSION

There are to [sic] ways of running the game in DOSBOX. You need to go to the DOSBOX folder and run the following options:

1) START_DOSBOX_TR1_ for the regular version (windowed and poor graphics).
2) START_DOSBOX_TR1-GLIDE for the HD full screen version.

Due to several problems with tombati refusing to run on some computers, the DOSBOX version of the game is available to play in case the main levelset doesn't work.

NOTE: if neither of those work, you can download any TR1 playable level and replace the .PHD files of the DATA folder.

All of this sounds fine. However, there's no DATA folder in my download. There's a tombeng.bin file consisting of a whopping 260MB, and I have no idea what that's all about.

When I click on either Dosbox batch file, I'm told that I'm missing d3dx9_43.dll. Can you tell me where to get that? If not, what 2015 update do I need to download from Microsoft's site?

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 18 May 2020 18:36

I can't help you there, Phil. What I can do is tell you the game is worth it in the TR1 style. I was a bit reluctant myself, but yeah, you get that loneliness feeling you're supposed to get from it and it looks rather well made. As long as it doesn't become full of Atlanteans and all that, it's fine by me. :)

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 18 May 2020 18:53

But I can help you there. :D The data folder only seems to be available in the ATI version of the download (at least it was in my case), but if it doesn't seem to be there in your download, try this: download the ATI version if you haven't already, extract the zip file as normal, go to this link, follow the instructions to download the package for whatever system version you have (x64 or x86), start the installation program and follow the instructions and then that should do the trick and fix any issues. :)

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 18 May 2020 19:24

Excellent.

There's something else in the game though (besides swimming being slightly awkward), which is the jump key doesn't always respond as it should and that's a drag, namely during timed runs.

But the design is great. I loved it when Lara jumped from a big height to a newly formed lake, the way you only actually see her when she gets there took me by surprise.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 18 May 2020 20:09

Ryan wrote:
18 May 2020 18:53
But I can help you there. :D The data folder only seems to be available in the ATI version of the download (at least it was in my case), but if it doesn't seem to be there in your download, try this: download the ATI version if you haven't already, extract the zip file as normal, go to this link, follow the instructions to download the package for whatever system version you have (x64 or x86), start the installation program and follow the instructions and then that should do the trick and fix any issues. :)
Thanks, Ryan. I did the download and install, but the ATI version still doesn't work. For some reason, the tombati.exe file in my extracted download doesn't have an icon beside it but rather a white square, indicating that it's either incomplete or corrupted.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 18 May 2020 20:20

I downloaded Deadly Cave once again, substituted the Nordic Adventure data folder for the existing one, and now it works (with Dosbox to boot). Sheesh. If a newbie can get it right, I'm at a loss to explain why an accomplished builder can't.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 18 May 2020 20:52

Phil wrote:
18 May 2020 20:09
Ryan wrote:
18 May 2020 18:53
Thanks, Ryan. I did the download and install, but the ATI version still doesn't work. For some reason, the tombati.exe file in my extracted download doesn't have an icon beside it but rather a white square, indicating that it's either incomplete or corrupted.
My exe doesn't have what I'd normally call an icon. Just a blue rectangle and some lines, all inside another rectagle. But it works perfectly.