OpenTomb project

stuck in a level/unofficial level editor

Moderator: QRS

scottchu

OpenTomb project

Post by scottchu » 27 Apr 2017 03:26

Happen to find this, very interesting: https://opentomb.github.io/

They seem to rebuild Tombraider classic 1-5 as web version from ground up (meaning not using any previous engines). The following paragrpah is from "about" page on the project site:

"OpenTomb is a cross-platform reimplementation of classic Tomb Raider 1—5 engines that were developed by now defunct Core Design. It is not a patcher or DLL extension of already existing engines.

The project does not use any old Tomb Raider source code, because all attempts to retrieve sources from Eidos / Core were in vain, despite many petitions by the community. Instead, everything is being developed completely from scratch."

They provide the TRE engine (TeslaRus) for download here: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=197508

p.s.: Sorry if I put in wrong forum cause I don't know where to put this news (or not new?).
I may get older, but my heart for Lara is always young!
msn: scottchu_tw@hotmail.com
yahoo: scottchu.tw
email: scottchu.tw@gmail.com

JesseG

Re: OpenTomb project

Post by JesseG » 30 Apr 2017 20:44

This is quite an interesting project! In particular I'm happy for Mac OS X support. :2thumbsup: Many people I know have it and I haven't been able to share levels with them. This looks like a great way to ensure our levels will be playable far into the future.

I'm not familiar with this particular programming language, but the syntax is fairly readable, so if I ever feel like doing code outside of work (which currently is not often, but you never know) I made take a deeper dive into the source and see if there's a way I can contribute. :)