Lara_fox_Croft : Search for the Golden Elephant Part 3 (end)

stuck in a level/unofficial level editor

Moderators: QRS, Gerty

Phil
Mod
Mod

Re: Lara_fox_Croft : Search for the Golden Elephant Part 3 (end)

Post by Phil » 27 Feb 2020 00:33

First it was The Lost Secret of Egypt, and now this. I certainly hope we're not seeing a trend away from traditional Tomb Raider as we've known it for 20 years plus.

Lara_Fox_Croft

Post by Lara_Fox_Croft » 27 Feb 2020 00:37

Phil wrote:
27 Feb 2020 00:33
First it was The Lost Secret of Egypt, and now this. I certainly hope we're not seeing a trend away from traditional Tomb Raider as we've known it for 20 years plus.
What do you mean?

lizard queen

Post by lizard queen » 27 Feb 2020 01:37

Phil wrote:
I agree. I purposely avoid the levels with "new fangled" features that make it less and less like TR. If I wanted something so different, I'd play some other game.

Lara_Fox_Croft

Post by Lara_Fox_Croft » 27 Feb 2020 10:29

lizard queen wrote:
27 Feb 2020 01:37
Phil wrote:
I agree. I purposely avoid the levels with "new fangled" features that make it less and less like TR. If I wanted something so different, I'd play some other game.
Actually, the level remains quite classic, TR5 is a classic, even when you find yourself in a building fighting guards in a discrete way. I'm (as I said) inspired by Metal Gear Solid, but still the level is pretty classic, there are only three things that make the level a non classic one, ammos (but Lara can pick ammo whenever she needs it) and real hand to hand fight (no items required to fight guards). And the jump physics, which some other builders modified in the past. For the rest it is quite classic.

After 20 years of playing classics aren't you bored? Seeking to see how far can the Editor go? Didn't you enjoyed non-classic levels, like TR Redemption or Hypersquare? If making levels should stay in a "key-door" gameplay, then I should stop making levels, there is no interest in it (for me).

Teone
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Teone » 27 Feb 2020 11:11

The only newfangled thing in this game is the download, because in this way the game is not actually hosted here and it could be modified without warning.
@MichaelP should not allow redirections on Mediafire or some other hosting site. Also Mehrbod's update is on a Google site but it should be hosted here.

Furthermore, as TheSnarkyLesbian said, when people click on "I Agree", they lie.
This kind of download seems to me a parody of shareware softwares legal procedure to avoid possibly complaints, except that for a freeware game is totally useless.

Lara_Fox_Croft

Post by Lara_Fox_Croft » 27 Feb 2020 12:31

Teone wrote:
27 Feb 2020 11:11
The only newfangled thing in this game is the download, because in this way the game is not actually hosted here and it could be modified without warning.
@MichaelP should not allow redirections on Mediafire or some other hosting site. Also Mehrbod's update is on a Google site but it should be hosted here.

Furthermore, as TheSnarkyLesbian said, when people click on "I Agree", they lie.
This kind of download seems to me a parody of shareware softwares legal procedure to avoid possibly complaints, except that for a freeware game is totally useless.
Well, I see this more like an agreement than "softwares legal procedure". Some players swap things, deactivate things etc etc. It was a way to make read the doc', some players don't read "readme" files. Of course they could just go to the download link and play the way they want to. But I somehow hope people are intelligent enough to respect a bit the work behind the "freeware game".

About the file hosting, I did ask M.Pragger to do it this way, but since then we agreed to host the level on trle.net, if you download the pdf files now, you'll see that they should link to trle.net
:)

We builders make a lot of work (5 years for me actually) for players to enjoy a game, of course building is something we do like, but I could build messy levels, of course "no terms of use needed", of course the level would be classic, and of course it would be like a lot of levels here, classic and quite pointless IMO. No offense. But well I'm not interested in giving "poor quality" levels anymore. So I asked for the demo to be uploaded "my way", as a test, to see if players understand things, but it seems that some don't. Maybe I should just give the full release to some people I choose to, this way maybe everyone will be pleased.

lizard queen

Post by lizard queen » 27 Feb 2020 13:13

Lara_Fox_Croft wrote:
27 Feb 2020 10:29
After 20 years of playing classics aren't you bored? Seeking to see how far can the Editor go? Didn't you enjoyed non-classic levels, like TR Redemption or Hypersquare? If making levels should stay in a "key-door" gameplay, then I should stop making levels, there is no interest in it (for me).
No, I'm not bored after 20 years of playing classics. Yes, I'm in search of levels that see how far the Editor can go but in a different way. Not so much via changing Lara's moves but seeing how far the human mind can take the basic elements and blow me away with intriguing puzzles, unique ways of getting from Point A to Point B and perhaps adding some beauty to it all. Truthfully, I did not enjoy the TR levels after AOD but that's just me. However, I do understand the desire for new builders to hone their skills in (what I'm guessing is) computer coding to change and create new TR levels. But I have always believed the ultimate reason a builder should build a level is to please themselves and if this a builders true motivation, then they will always build no matter what anyone else thinks. :nice:

Teone
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Teone » 27 Feb 2020 13:31

if you download the pdf files now, you'll see that they should link to trle.net
Oh, yes. Now it's on trle. :2thumbsup:
Maybe I should just give the full release to some people I choose to, this way maybe everyone will be pleased.
This would be really sadistic. People like to play and complain. You cannot change this. :wink:

Joey Quint

Post by Joey Quint » 27 Feb 2020 19:56

First, I definitely agree on the download. It's annoying, and the download link might go away, leaving us with a dead link.
Plus, you won't guarantee anything. If If people wanna change things around, they will change things around. If they don't want to read, they won't read. This is a waste of time, and possibly guarantying a future dead link.

HOWEVA.
Phil wrote:
Just... No. W_W
The purpose of level editing is being able to create our own games. Bring novelty. If you just want "classic Tomb Raider experience", just go play other levels that recreate the exact same thing without any innovation. Heck, just go play the official games if you like so much playing and replaying the same thing. But please, this applies to everyone who thinks that way: just stop trying to put away people who try new things.

You guys are trying to refrain them from actually doing things that could please other people than you. Stop being so selfish and let people do what they want to do. People are not creating levels for you, they're creating because they want to create something. But people like you set your own boundaries like you had a right to, by bashing those levels and reviewing them so low, and that scare people from even trying to innovate.
I, and other people as well, are tired of seeing exactly the same old thing, searching keys hidden in the most senseless locations, doing ultra complicated series of jumps in the middle of traps where a pixel of error gives you death as a reward, having to try things again and again, and just rage quitting out of frustration. Like 90% of the levels hosted here are just that. And when people try something different, they get trashed.
The TR community is not you. The TR community is a community, that means also all the other people who also like other things. Other people also have different tastes. Sure I like classic TRs, TR4 in particular. But most TRLE levels just are repeating the same things over and over, and I got bored long ago.
Plus, this level is not even far from a Tomb Raider, sure the setting is not a tomb, sure the jumps are different. But then? The gameplay is still the same kind, with exploration, puzzles, etc. And that's already enough to have you guys complain. And even if it was more different. Look, Battle Arena for example, it's been trashed by people like you for trying to be something different. It was rated like it was meant to be a Tomb Raider game, while it was explicitly NOT meant to be (even just reading the title would give you a hint!). Hostile Waters was also trying things different than a "classic TRLE" game, but definitely kept the TR spirit, the kind Core could have made if they kept doing more classic TRs. But it was a bit different, so it got trashed as well.

Just stop.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 27 Feb 2020 20:09

I need to agree with this. Shading a level before even playing it is a whole new step in unfair judgement.
woof

SrDanielPonces

Post by SrDanielPonces » 27 Feb 2020 20:23

oH my gOd tHiS leVeL iS diFfeRenT anD inNovaTivE i mUst cOmpLaiN aBouT iT by saYinG cUstOm leVelS sHoulDn'T bE tHis cOmpLeX anD GiviNg aWfuL RaTingS tO cOnTribUtE foR tHe diSapPearAncE oF tAlenTeD BuiLdeRs wHo wAnT tO dO sOmeThiNg dIfFerEnT.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 27 Feb 2020 23:24

The last time I checked, there was one posted review for this level, with a rating of 9.0.

And who the hell is Joey Quint?

SrDanielPonces

Post by SrDanielPonces » 27 Feb 2020 23:43

That's a very rude question towards the guy who's contributed a LOT (whether it's resources to information) to the TRLE community.

He also made one of the biggest masterpieces in TR4 engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-3Q1sZRti4

Klona

Post by Klona » 27 Feb 2020 23:52

SrDanielPonces wrote:
27 Feb 2020 23:43
He also made one of the biggest masterpieces in TR4 engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-3Q1sZRti4
How is that a masterpiece? It's too innovative and different!

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 28 Feb 2020 00:15

Now I understand. He has a bias toward innovation. Cool.