Vinci's Twin Hammer missing?

stuck in a level/unofficial level editor

Moderator: QRS

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Vinci's Twin Hammer missing?

Post by Treeble » 20 Dec 2015 01:36

I was messing around with the TR1 levels today and was very surprised to learn I actually could run them on my Windows 7 machine thanks to the handy all-in DOSBox package trle.net offers. I'm working through these levels atm while it's working and I couldn't help noticing the magnum opus of TR1 custom levels (from what I remember, it was pretty darn good! But you know how fond memories work...) is nowhere to be found. Is there any reason for this? :anxious:

eTux
Mod
Mod

Re: Vinci's Twin Hammer missing?

Post by eTux » 31 Dec 2015 23:06

Hey, Lucas

Sorry for the late reply, I only check in so much these days here, unfortunately.
I recall doing a lot of the compiling to make all/most of the unofficial levels available to be reviewed/downloadable at TRLE.net - so I suppose any omissions are on my head so to say too :)

The long and short of it is that Michael's condition for making the non-TR4 games available for download was that they needed to be compiled into stand-alone self-sufficient download packages - which is what I did for nearly all the non-TR4 games, if the authors had not gone through the effort themselves.

TR1 levels were fickle to begin with - but I recall I never managed to make the TR1:UB based custom levels playable this way - which is where Twin Hammers falls in if I recall correctly - so chances are any TR1:UB based levels are emitted purely on that account. If you or anyone else could find a way to adapt a stand-alone package for the few levels remaining - that would surely be a boon and complete our listing here :)

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 31 Dec 2015 23:12

I found that Twin Hammer on treditor.hu. They also have Treeble's walkthru.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 31 Dec 2015 23:16

Of course it's available on other sites (has been since times immemorial) - but the installation was cumbersome - and I could not adapt it the same way I could the other TR1 levels - hence the omission on TRLE.net, which is what I guess Lucas was asking about :) If anyone is industrious/resourceful enough to adapt the TR1:UB based games, the same way the other TR1 custom levels were, that would be a welcome addition.

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 31 Dec 2015 23:19

The trle.net listings for TR1 levels are now complete, actually. ;)

I traded a couple of emails with Michael once this topic fell under the radar and he pretty much told me what you just did. I am only short of one TR1 level to play and finish now, but along the way I came across a readme from Henk that mentioned converting a tub to phd file, so I tried my hand with that and the converted file played perfectly with one other level's package, so I rebundled the three missing levels and sent them to Michael. He then uploaded the levels to the database earlier this week.

Would be nice to know if they work for other people, though. lol Tomb Raider is a bit touchy on modern systems so it may have just been pure luck on my end.
Last edited by Treeble on 31 Dec 2015 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 31 Dec 2015 23:22

Ah, my bad, should've paid more attention to the listing instead of just checking out the forum :rolleyes5: Either way, well done :2thumbsup:

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 31 Dec 2015 23:23

Nah, no worries. I'm glad you replied. Miss you. :)

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 30 Jan 2016 15:38

Hey, I wanted to play these TR1 levels but I get no sound.
In case of TR2 it was enough to place a TR2 CD.
But TR1 CD won't work under 64-bit windows.
And even if it did it's that "Sold Out" version with damaged audio.
So I play with DosBox but I don't know how to fix the audio with it.
Does anybody have clue?

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 30 Jan 2016 23:50

You get no sound as in no SFX or no BGM? SFX should be working fine (there were a handful levels in which I had none though)... BGM I have no idea how to fix however, just went through all of the TR1 levels without any.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 31 Jan 2016 00:11

Yes I meant the music. It's very unfortunate :? I don't want to miss any impression because I could do the rating wrong. I had such an issue with graphics recently: hidden polygons were displayed what looked much like a bug. But when I tried a different machine it appeared to be an issue of the modern graphic card, so in the end I rated correctly. Nevertheless it was close to a mistake.

I checked several TR1 levels for CD triggers. I found none in these games, including Twin Hammer. I'm not sure if they are just absent or if Fexinspect cannot recognize them (I know it normally detects CD triggers of TR2, but I have too little experience with TR1 to be certain about it).