levyhgb - Recovering the Scion Parts 1 & 2 (TR1)

stuck in a level/unofficial level editor

Moderator: QRS

Phil
Mod
Mod

levyhgb - Recovering the Scion Parts 1 & 2 (TR1)

Post by Phil » 21 May 2015 02:13

I've made slow but steady progress. I'm now in the tall room with the spiked floor. There's a closed door higher up requiring a key. Where is the key? (Pulling an underground switch raises a platform near the closed door, but this seems to serve no purpose because the platform collapses when you step on it.)

EDIT: The builder tells me this release includes the same level that was provided some time ago, so I'll use dmdibl's walkthrough to get my question answered.

By the way, there are no cumbersome installation procedures involved here. Simply open the DOSBOX folder, double click on START_DOSBOX_TR1-GLIDE.bat and the game loads automatically.

Leona

Re: levyhgb - Recovering the Scion Parts 1 & 2 (TR1)

Post by Leona » 22 May 2015 18:45

Thanks for telling me how to open the game, I had some issues. Now that I will run it soon, I will try to find the key too.
"Right now, crazy is all we got"

José
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by José » 25 May 2015 19:50

I've advanced far in the second level and I've reached the room with the tall column in its center and the Ank at the top. I went to the bottom and did a timed run; after this, I pulled a lever in the room with the single moveable block and two enemies (screenshot of a high door in a corner in the main room, near a slope). Also I remember using a switch to turn the doors in one of the rooms in ground floor behind one of the moveable blocks but I can't remember where that switch is to use it again and change the position so I am able to get access to the corridor behind the doors (Lara can't duck in TR1). I have a blue artifact (no name) but no idea where to use it. Also I've opened a door to go back to the Sphinx courtyard but again, no idea the four switches at the bottom are for.
Any hint?

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 26 May 2015 02:34

there are nothing behind the the doppel doors
but between the sphinx legs are 4 levers
u must out again :D
first and last lever open a door up on the sphinx
the 2 middle levers open the second door on the sphinx
1 of the 2 levers behind the brown doors on the sphinx
open the second grated door in that high room you are stuck in
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

José
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by José » 26 May 2015 08:45

Thank you vimmers.
I'll try to explore all that you say.
Greetings. :)

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 26 May 2015 23:11

Manarch2 has finished and says Part 2 is complex. I vote for him to do the walkthrough (since Part 1 is already available), unless José wants to volunteer.

José
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by José » 28 May 2015 08:18

Of course. Volunteer.
Manarch2 is right; this game is complex.
With vimmers' help I've finished the fist new level (second level of the whole adventure), but now I jumped to another caves-mines-type level (I think this is the last one 'cause in the "data" folder there are three PHD files named "levelX.phd").
So I could start to write the walkthrough right now for "City of Vilcabamba" level, but in that case I don't know when I could finish the third level.
Also, even when I finished, I shall need some help to explain some strange situations that wasn't very clear for me. :?
I think I found, at least, three secrets. (I started to play a week ago and I can't remember).

manarch2
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by manarch2 » 28 May 2015 09:15

The third level seems to be a 1-to-1 copy from Natla's Mines from TR 1, and because of that and also of the title (Parts 1 &2) I stopped playing here.

Secret hideouts:
- Do not use the lever after the long slope, push the right block away and follow the passage.
- After a rather long stairway near the slope room climb into the left opening and pull out three blocks
- In the dark caves where you place a key, run around several even darker corners
- In a kind of outside area where you have to jump around the rock ledges for a lever (also with a teeth door), there is a dark passage to jump into
- After crossing a bridge over a pool room, you slide down a slope into a room with a fairly long block puzzle. Before dropping onto the lower slope, jump to the platform ahead.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 28 May 2015 12:17

Quite a bit of gameplay for such a small download. Assuming Part 3 is the same as the official level (I assume the builder intends to tinker with the files to change the gameplay for a later release), there's a very good and little-known (not Stella's version) online walkthrough that I can cut and paste.

José
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by José » 28 May 2015 13:10

_manarch2 wrote:The third level seems to be a 1-to-1 copy from Natla's Mines from TR 1, and because of that and also of the title (Parts 1 &2) I stopped playing here.
PDLambeth wrote:Quite a bit of gameplay for such a small download. Assuming Part 3 is the same as the official level (I assume the builder intends to tinker with the files to change the gameplay for a later release), there's a very good and little-known (not Stella's version) online walkthrough that I can cut and paste.
I'm currently playing the third level and I'm almost sure that it's not the same from TR1, or at least I can't remember anything what I'm playing. :-o

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 28 May 2015 17:34

PDLambeth wrote:Quite a bit of gameplay for such a small download. Assuming Part 3 is the same as the official level (I assume the builder intends to tinker with the files to change the gameplay for a later release), there's a very good and little-known (not Stella's version) online walkthrough that I can cut and paste.
as far i recall it isn't the same
you can't defiantly not use a standard walktrough (i am almost sure)
in both 2 first levels i found 4 secrets out of 3 :D
but none in 3 level
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

José
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by José » 29 May 2015 09:02

_manarch2 wrote: Secret hideouts:

- Do not use the lever after the long slope, push the right block away and follow the passage.
I'm replaying the level writing the walkthrough and, as vimmers said, I found nothing in that passage. :?

manarch2
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by manarch2 » 29 May 2015 09:12

It's hidden very near the small step at the end of the passage (not in the centre of the square). Run to the end and turn around, otherwise it's probably not visible.

José
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by José » 29 May 2015 10:12

Ok.
Thank you. :)
I'll check it later.

Requested by some members, here is the savegame at the very beginning of level 3:
SAVEGAME.0

José
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by José » 29 May 2015 11:25

_manarch2 wrote:It's hidden very near the small step at the end of the passage (not in the centre of the square). Run to the end and turn around, otherwise it's probably not visible.
I saw it. :hammer:
I forgot that the pickups in TR1 are not at the center of the tiles.
Thanks again.