ALl LEVELS NOT WORKING!

stuck in a level/unofficial level editor

Moderators: QRS, Gerty

Bunzi

ALl LEVELS NOT WORKING!

Post by Bunzi » 08 Jul 2008 02:23

I have had a failure in all my levels.( official and un offical tr4 based)I can not run any tr4exe. All crash. I have re- installed all levels and editor twice. restarting my computer between each install. I have replaced all exe repeatedly. I have tried starting in software mode as well and nothing works. The game shuts down and windows gives me the error window to report the problem. I am running an unmodified copy of windows xp home. and I have updated my level manager. Please if any one has any suggestions I would be grateful. I will continue to scroll through the forum and read all problems in the hope of finding my own solution. Thank you.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 08 Jul 2008 05:24

first of all u shall made sure u have directx and your soundcard driver installed
and what u mean u have installed all levels

Bunzi

Post by Bunzi » 09 Jul 2008 00:26

directx and sound card are working fine with everything else and are current. What I meant with all levels is that I had had currently three custom levels installed separately in different folders on my computer plus the level manager with 3 levels on the go. Now none will work as soon as the game opens it closes again. This is the normal for me to have many levels running at one time on my computer. I have been running levels this way for years now. And I have never had this problem before. Sometimes in the past I would have a small problem with an tr4 exe. and I could restart the level in software mod and then go back to normal mode and it would all work its self out.

Harry

Post by Harry » 09 Jul 2008 15:00

For the official editor, the game sometimes fails if I do not have a title.tr4 or uklogo.pak file in the data directory. Sometimes authors do no include those files when you unzip their directory structure. For unofficial editor, some levels will work with the complete game but not with a demo version.

Do the games work if you move the game files to the appropriate directories manually? I also have several games going at the same time in different directories. I move all the files by hand. I used level manager once and it just messed things up for me badly. I do not use it anymore.

Good luck.

Edit: I just remembered something about the level manager does not copy the tomb4.exe file for you. Many authors included a modified exe file that has to be copied manually or the levels will not work.

Bunzi

Post by Bunzi » 09 Jul 2008 18:24

I have levels both with the editor and with out. All have the uklogo file intact and I always manually copy the tr4 exe. file. The only thing that had changed on my computer from one day to the next was a windows update and I ran my monthly CCleaner sweep, so maybe a file or something got altered in the process. I am going to systematically remove all Tomb Raider files and registry files from computer and then start over with fresh installs.
Wish me luck! :2thumbsup:

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 09 Jul 2008 21:01

Bunzi wrote:I am going to systematically remove all Tomb Raider files and registry files from computer and then start over with fresh installs.
:2thumbsup: You can ease this with the TR registry cleaner tool : http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/trrc.exe
Wish me luck!
:2thumbsup:
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

Bunzi

Post by Bunzi » 12 Jul 2008 05:10

Success!!!!!
I have fixed the problem, but what a lot of fuss!
I removed all running levels. Un-installed the level manager. Un-installed TR4 and TRLE and then cleaned the registry with the tool provided. ( thanks Snork) last I reinstalled everything and manually installed a level and boom! It works! I am off and Raiding again.
So what ever the offending corrupt file was it is gone. :2thumbsup:

yesrushdt

Post by yesrushdt » 27 Sep 2008 01:29

Thanks for the tips. The same thing was happening to me after updating my video card driver. Worked like a charm! :2thumbsup: