How to play unofficial custom levels

stuck in a level/unofficial level editor

Moderators: QRS, Gerty

troublewolf

Post by troublewolf » 12 Sep 2008 00:03

I've just returned to gaming and am a little confused. "Unoffical custom levels" are these all of the fan made levels? or just the ones based on the TR games 1-5? :? Or do you need to download theunoffical levels helpers to play every level made?
"ignorance can be cured but stupidity is forever"

Magnus
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Magnus » 12 Sep 2008 00:09

Unofficial levels are the ones that aren't made with the Last Revelation engine. So levels based on Tomb Raider 1-3 and Chronicles.

troublewolf

Post by troublewolf » 12 Sep 2008 21:10

:D Thanks! I thought maybe that was it but just wanted to be sure. :2thumbsup:
"ignorance can be cured but stupidity is forever"

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: How to play unofficial custom levels

Post by Anna27 » 06 Nov 2009 20:20

In official custom levels the "look" key works well, but in unoffcial it doesn't work. Without this is hard to play levels. What can I do?

dmdibl

Post by dmdibl » 06 Nov 2009 23:38

My Look Key works fine, set to 0 or Ins on the keypad. Can you set your Look key so it will be what you want? Go to inventory (ESC), then DOWN, to see the ring with Controls, Details, Game. Choose Controls to see the Default Keys, hit Right Arrow to see the User Keys. The Look Key is in the lower right, and can be set.

In TR4, Lara is transparent when the Look Key is pressed, which makes it easier to see. In TR3 there is no transparency, so sometimes Lara blocks the view. I wasn't sure if this was what you meant.

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 08 Nov 2009 13:49

In TR3 it works ok, but what about TR5? Where is that option? I'm not using Ins key, but another one, and I want to use it in all games.

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 10 Nov 2009 14:02

Wasn't it the same for Chronicles as in trle ?
P -> options -> control configuration ?
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

manarch2
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by manarch2 » 04 Jan 2011 16:56

I am trying to play TR 1 levels. How to use that DOS Box to make the level run?

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 04 Jan 2011 17:05

This is what I have:

TR1 CUSTOM LEVEL GENERAL INFORMATION:

A) As a rule of thumb, the closer your system is to the original system the game was supposed to be played, the less problems you will encounter with playing the TR1 custom levels.
B) Though not required in most cases, if you experience some issues running TR1 custom levels like not getting any sound effects (gunfire, footsteps, etc.) it is worth to install (or reinstall) the original game for reference, though doing so will usually solve the issues by itself.

TR1 CUSTOM LEVEL SPECIFIC INFORMATION:

1) Playing on Systems from Vista onwards:
When trying to play on Windows systems from Vista onwards (Vista, 7), you will most likely get a "This system does not support fullscreen mode" error message. It is still possible to play the levels on these systems, but you have to use additional programs such as DosBox to get the levels to run. Please refer to the Vista7installation.txt for further information.
2) Hearing Background Audio:
Apparently, same as for TR2 custom levels, you can hear background audio tracks if you insert the original TR1 CD in your CD-ROM. From experience it hasn't been as simple as that (when tested on XP, Windows7), but it might be related to point A)
3) Taking Screenshots:
It is not possible to take screenshots without the help of additional programs in DOS games from Windows NT based systems (NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7) onwards. You can, however, if you use DOSBox and PrintScreen key whilst playing.

Installation:

This is a step by step guide for installing and running TR1 custom levels on Vista and Windows7 systems.

If you want to play the game on an XP or older system - simply double-clicking on the RunMe.bat file should be enough.

1) Install DosBox

2) Create a folder called TR1CUSTOM on your C drive*.

3) Unzip the downloaded level, copy all the contents to C:\TR1CUSTOM

4) Run DOSBox

5) Type the following line right after Z:\>

MOUNT C C:\TR1CUSTOM
Press enter.

6) Type the following:

C:
Press Enter.

7) Type the following:

RunMe.bat
Press Enter.

8) Press ESC if necessary (i.e. the initial movie is looping over and over again)

Play and Enjoy!

To install the next TR1 custom level in this directory (presummably after you finish playing the first one) - just repeat steps 3 through 8.

* NOTE: The drives and folders can be adjusted to your preferences, you just have to adjust the further commands to your custom settings. The ones provided here are for maximum convenience.
Oops, I did it again... Image

manarch2
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by manarch2 » 04 Jan 2011 17:25

:thanks: SO MUCH... On more than one place I nearly gave up, as this is quite enerving to do, but I finally managed it!