thewolf

Re: Ode to a Level Never Built.

Post by thewolf » 25 Aug 2019 10:21

Storm Chaser wrote:
24 Aug 2019 15:01
thewolf wrote:
24 Aug 2019 14:10
What kind of bugs?
I had (in the original level) crashing to desktop when going from some rooms to other rooms, messed up end of level stats screen (unreadable), flickering statics, disappearing objects, triggers randomly not working etc. It was seriously messed up.

So far new version working fine.
Dxtre3d has a serious crashing problem. I can only speak about TR2 levels but I guess the issues are the same for all engines. Even if you do everything right you will still experience crashes, always keep that in mind. Check the portals for each room and make sure they are applied correctly. Dxtre3d has a portal limit for each room, if you place to many your game will crash as soon as you step into the certain room. Same goes for alternate rooms----> always check the portals! If you use vehicles in your level you can only use the half of it's max number of portals for the rooms where your vehicle crosses. Don't know if it's only a Dxtre3d issue or maybe Core had the same problem.

Lightbulbs are the biggest problem with Dxtre3d! If Lara walks into into them or baddies your game will immediately crash. Try to place them into walls , ceilings or into the ground to avoid touching them. Note: The lightbulb crash is sometimes completely random, if your bulb number 1 crashed the game the first time doesn't mean it will crash a second time!

Adding new objects into your base file can corrupt other objects(textures and animations). If you remove weapons or certain animations from your level you can also trigger a crash----> Check the weapons you have in your game and make sure you also have the animations for them. Let's say you have removed your shotgun from the base file but Lara starts the game with a shotgun in her inventory....... . If you merge objects from TR3 Gold and TR3 your game will end up crashing permanently! Don't do that!!

The level end screen turns unreadable if your game wants to play a cutscene after the level end. For example you use the base file JUNGLE . JUNGLE is the first level in TR3 and a cutscene plays right after you finish it. Since you can't do own cutscenes or aren't using any you will get this ugly end screen.
A nice way to solve the problem is to change the script of the game:

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showth ... p?t=215247

Here's a link for a script editor, it allows you to change background sounds, starting animations, weapons,level names, cutscenes and many more. Check the order of the original levels for each script so you make no mistakes.

If statics are placed between several portals they can flicker sometimes or if the game renders too many of them it can also happen. If you have too many objects active at the same time they can disappear but that shouldn't be the case. Maybe some objects got broken after merging them into your base file.

Some triggers won't work in your levels, some are special for each base file and hardcoded. I would recommend you to use for example the minecart triggers only with the base file of RX-Tech Mines and sinks only for base files which had one.
Some objects require a special setup---->Check fexinspect to see how Core did it for some objects, it can help you. Especially for AI setups (guard,ambush.....)
If you have a ladder somewhere placed, only do it on the lowest room. The ladder works also for the room above, if you place it above some triggers will get corrupt! Only place the ladder on the lowest room where it actually starts, not above!!!

Good luck :)

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 25 Aug 2019 17:46

That’s very useful info and I didn’t know about some of them. The lightbulbs bug is one I’d not heard about. I knew about portals but not the vehicles part and the ladders is interesting ref above rooms. I have, however, used objects from TR3 Gold with TR3 without problems. Thanks for this very useful info, much appreciated.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 26 Aug 2019 01:47

if u guys read here http://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=3133 by Ex Core Design
then it sounds like there wasn't so many problems with the original editor

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 26 Aug 2019 09:58

Thanks.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 28 Aug 2019 02:11

Lots of rooms built now, including a “timed run” as many reviews mention the lack of them. No bugs and no crashes 8) so far. Interesting how the snow effect seems random, despite all the outside rooms being set to “snow” the amount of snow seems to vary each time you play from absolutely chucking it down to just a bit of snow. Just finished a rather nice room IMHO, that has a random jumping sequence where if you get it wrong you fall into the freezing water and die.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 29 Aug 2019 18:48

So I have recreated some of the original rooms, but it’s mainly quite different to the original buggy version.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 30 Aug 2019 14:26

Today I am checking all the rooms for missing or wrong textures, revising a few bits, sorting out the lighting and then the first “play test” to see if there are enough (or too many) ammo, flares and medi packs, usually followed by a list of things that need sorting out.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 31 Aug 2019 00:07

Hmmmmm, amazing how many faults you can find when you play through a level for the first time. Missing or wrong textures, bad lighting on objects and statics etc. Having done all the corrections, I’m now doing some architectural upgrades and adding another timed run. One part is rather hard and even I died about ten times trying to do the task, I may have to revise this part to make it less “deadly”. Tomorrow will see the start of major play testing.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 02 Sep 2019 23:15

Now redoing all the objects and triggers to tidy it all up and revising the gameplay.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 05 Sep 2019 21:28

Today I finished the alpha tests and revisions. Turning doors round (invisible block), counting ammo and other pickups (not too many or too few), altering / revising some of the architecture, texture revision etc etc. Tomorrow l will start the first of several play tests to see if I can find any more errors (some always escape though), doing screenshots, script revisions, end of the world tests and the like.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 09 Sep 2019 11:49

Thanks to thewolf‘s really useful info ref crashes and scripting, I now have a fully working level. Still play testing it, but should be released soon.