TR2 Feder - The Swamp

stuck in a level/unofficial level editor

Moderators: QRS, Gerty

Phil
Mod
Mod

Re: TR2 Feder - The Swamp

Post by Phil » 13 Mar 2019 20:22

A lot of rambling explanation that doesn't tell me why I never have these problems when I play a TR4 level.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 13 Mar 2019 21:29

You don't notice issues with TR4 because we made them standalone in the first order.
If you don't remember, ANY TR4 level required a manual compilation before we did that.
I didn't have great knowledge about TR2 engine, that's why I only repacked it recently.
About Arsunt's Patch: it's usually not a must, it just fixes rare cases like yours.
Otherwise the game works for the majority of players, it's just hard to cover all cases.
So could you remove those ratings since it's a setup error at your end and not a broken level?
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 14 Mar 2019 00:48

I've edited this post to delete my inflammatory remarks, for which I apologize. Indeed the problem seems to be on my end, but I have no idea how to identify or correct it (see next paragraph), so the only rational recourse is for me to avoid playing (or at least reviewing) any future TR2 levels.

I have two desktop computers, both of which run on Windows XP. For years they have both played TR2 levels with no issues whatsoever. I still have the original Eidos TR2 disc, so today I re-installed the program on both computers. The same problems I described earlier apply as well to the original game: on one computer I can play in full-screen mode only and the graphics are crude but bearable; on the other computer everything freezes up when I attempt to play. This makes no sense to me since the operating systems are identical, but I suspect the graphics card settings are somehow involved (and I don't have the technical expertise to adjust them). In any event, rather than amend my review of The Swamp I will ask Michael simply to delete it.
Last edited by Phil on 16 Mar 2019 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 14 Mar 2019 01:00

You are plainly, simply unfair, calling that "wasting talent". The levels are fine.
The builder makes 99% of effort, you are asked for 1% which is the proper setup.
Yet you refuse to do even that, you blame the level and persist you're correct...
Sorry but with this attitude you should just quit reviewing, at least TR2 levels :(

Did you even get my point. No, you didn't.
There are people who have problems with TR4 engine you favorize.
But they don't upload artificially downrated reviews because of that.
You just can't say doing so is fair, no matter what words you use for it.
The truth is, this review should just go because it's a dreadful mistake.
Just please recognize it and update. That's the last thing I say here.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

SrDanielPonces

Post by SrDanielPonces » 14 Mar 2019 01:32

Phil wrote:
14 Mar 2019 00:48
Listen, here's a solution to all this: Builders, stop wasting your time and talents on TR2 levels and learn how to use the TR4 engine so that everyone can enjoy your work product. Until then, I will continue to review your levels on the basis of my playing experience.
Ok, I have to post this because this post is completely unacceptable.
You are being completely disrespectful not only to the builder, but also to DJfull who you have LITERALLY ignored his words with valid and justified explanations of why the game went wrong in YOUR end.

If you're the only one out of hundreds/thousands that had the issue, then maybe this is your problem, no? Instead you're blaming the builder for invalid reasons you made up yourself because you're not able to think a little bit.

Seriously, stop having such attitude, it looks ugly and disgusting for anyone reading this kind of thing coming from a mod, who, being one in a TRLE hosting website, should understand the basics on how these even work.

My regards.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 14 Mar 2019 01:59

I love you too.