Ranpyon _ The Dragon Pearl-Mountains

players help players

Moderators: mugs, Gerty

TombTitan

Re: Ranpyon _ The Dragon Pearl-Mountains

Post by TombTitan » 30 Apr 2019 08:36

Vimmers,
I can't take a screenshot on the computer I use for the internet, but it doesn't matter because the dropbox page is the same as yours. The problem is getting the upper right download button to activate to get the direct download option. I tried it again just now and clicked on the download button about 50 times, and it finally opened to download the file. That is a nuisance.

Dropbox wants to harass to get people to register and/or pay fees. I have had this problem before with dropbox with other files. This file-locker site is getting worse compared to a few years ago. Dropbox used to have the direct download option automatically visible last year.

But as I said earlier, anyone can currently download this new version of "The Dragon Pearl" hassle-free at aspidetr.com. Also, the compressed savegames are still too large to post on forums. The 7-zip file size depends on the version of 7-zip that you have. You may have a newer version. I have not updated my 7-zip or Peazip in over a year, and I am still using the original winzip program for these tomb raider game files.

EDIT: The solution for savegames in the future would be to modify the trle game engine on savegames using pictures to a new type of multiple files: savegame, trepsave (optional), savepic. The savepic file can be ignored on player swaps as are trepsaves. When loading a save from another player use any savepic you have and rename the file extension to the appropriate savegame. The picture may be wrong when you start the game, but it will be correct on the next F5 save.
I don't know if this is possible, but none of the current savegames are following the original Core Design model, so it should be possible. The builder should include a generic savepic file in the original game download for this purpose.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 30 Apr 2019 09:26

TombTitan wrote:
30 Apr 2019 08:36
Vimmers,
sorry i don't get it
why can't you take a screenshoot
just hit print/screen button

i hope and suppose that you use chrome

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 30 Apr 2019 10:14

No, I don't use Chrome on this laptop computer because I had problems, and that wouldn't change anything anyway. I have Chrome on a different computer with a different IP provider, and I don't play games, or use trle, youtube, dropbox, etc. on that system. I only do secure browsing and e-mail on that system to avoid malware.

I got a screenshot using the clipword and MS Word, but I am not going to bother with posting the picture because the screen looks like the one you posted yesterday except for the background colors. I said that the download button in the upper right corner (where you have your arrow) does not always click to the options. It hangs up a lot, but I have gotten it to work randomly tonight.

But what is the point of keeping up with this issue? The download is available elsewhere, and the two game versions are NOT interchangeable. Anyone who played the first release would have to play the updated file in its entirety to get to the end as savegames will not work---the game just starts a new game on any incompatible savegame.

The dropbox issue is NOT related with how to use dropbox, but how dropbox responds to users---it wants everyone registered. It is becoming as unreliable as rapidgator----sometimes it works, other times it doesn't!

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 30 Apr 2019 20:51

What opens this gate?
Attachments
gate.jpg

sandy2

Post by sandy2 » 30 Apr 2019 21:03

I am at the place where there is a big gong .... found some chinese numbers.... but don't know where to go next. See a 'trap door', but don't know how to open it. Shot a couple of things in a tree. Found a doll... There is a ladder, but cannot open the trap above it? Also an underwater closed gate... I see no way out of here. What am I missing? ....
Last edited by sandy2 on 30 Apr 2019 21:19, edited 2 times in total.

Ranpyon

Post by Ranpyon » 30 Apr 2019 21:09

TombTitan wrote:
30 Apr 2019 06:25
Ranpyon:
I downloaded your updated game version from aspidetr.com to see what you changed in the first level. Why did you make the change which now requires all players to use the trampoline which can only be seen if you use a flare in a place you wouldn't think of using a flare? The first game version (which also has the trampoline) was easier to get to where you want to go by using the walls and a left backflip (if you can't find the trampoline). Now that latter technique is no longer possible due to a wall change.
Well, the reason is simple: I want players to use the trampoline! The intended way to get on the top of the wall was using the trampoline, unfortunately me and the testers didn't notice that it was possible to get there passing from the rocks jumping from the roof (and I noticed it later thanks to a Youtube video from Adrielvicio, who was very very kind because he also posted a video with the intended way after we spoken), so I've corrected it. I love that trampoline (it's a nice touch from TR2), so why players don't have to use that? But I wanted to hide it: since in this level the place is guarded by ninjas, I thought that was logical and coherent to think that ninjas could hide things like that. Or am I too meticulous/fussy? Anyway, I'm not going to change it: this time I want to keep it as I wanted.
TombTitan wrote:
30 Apr 2019 06:25
Also savegames from the first version no longer work in the updated game for the first level, however saves from the Izumo River level will also work in the updated version.
I'm sorry, but a save created for a x.tr4 file doesn't always work with the same (but modified) x.tr4 file: it depends on the changes done. In this case I've added some objects (the camera targets where Lara looks at in two places), so the objects indices changed, and so for the game the things are different. For this reason the saves from Izumo River keep on working, because I haven't touched that file.

Speaking about the Dropbox issue, I have to disagree: Dropbox suggests to create an account for downloading, but it isn't obligatory. In fact my testers don't have Dropbox, and every time they were able to download my files without problems. I also tried to download the file from my PC at work, and also from my father's pc (both don't have Dropbox installed), and again, I've downloaded successfully without any DB account. Perhaps could it depend from the place where someone wants to download?

Speaking about the savegames, unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it...

@SuzanneJack: that gate is opened by a hidden switch right at the beginning on the level: once you have fallen in the water, you can find a rock where you can stand on it; jump and grab the ledge above. So you can get there, it's enough to get back there. :)

@Sandy: you have to shoot 5 things. They are:
SpoilerShow
1) In the small temple with the Buddha statue; 2) In the tree; 3) Almost near the waterfall, in the rocks above; 4) Up the fireplace, where Lara looks towards to; 5) In the small zen garden, up to the roof border

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 30 Apr 2019 22:10

Thanks Ranpyon :)

Ranpyon

Post by Ranpyon » 30 Apr 2019 22:34

You're welcome! :D

Tartan

Post by Tartan » 01 May 2019 08:14

I happened to encounter a bug :-o
It jumps to the next level suddenly.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 01 May 2019 09:07

Tartan wrote:
01 May 2019 08:14
i can only say don't do that :lol: :lol:

Ranpyon

Post by Ranpyon » 01 May 2019 09:19

Tartan wrote:
01 May 2019 08:14
Oh my gosh... :duh:
Well, this is not a bug, that's because that door object is just an animating, and not a real door object: even if it should have a collision anyway and prevent Lara to pass through it, the best thing is to use a real door object in the editor, because it creates a real invisible wall impossible to pass through until the door's opening. Unfortunately I've finished the door slots (max 8 different types of doors) and I had to use a simple animating object...
I don't know if I'm able to fix it somehow...

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 01 May 2019 10:30

It is not possible to jump through that gate except when standing near the wall torch. Lara cannot jump through from the opposite ledge, nor from the rightmost corner of the wall torch ledge. Most players will never encounter this because they will either not backflip at the wrong angle from the wall torch or try to directly jump through the gate bars from the wall torch.

This pass-through issue is not related to Lara having a hand torch. This issue is only limited to a small area of pixels where Lara stands.

If you want to fix this (creating another changed level with incompatible saves, and making the host sites angry for another revision to post), then put a rock barrier on the wall torch ledge so Lara cannot jump back near the gate on the wall torch ledge, and increase the size of that ledge forward for jumping to it with the torch. You don't have to do anything with the gate door.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 01 May 2019 10:46

TombTitan wrote:
01 May 2019 10:30

If you want to fix this (creating another changed level with incompatible saves,
stop saying stupid things
right now i say you are jorge nr 2
you complaing on a ordinary download we all can do
you use a computer to only download specific files

i have only my slow pc and i use it to download everything
and that include xxx sites and torrents
so i really don't know what you and jorge are afraid from

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 01 May 2019 10:53

Vimmers, can't you read! What are you talking about?

Ranpyon commented in the previous post that he didn't know how to fix this accidental level jump problem.

I suggested a method for doing just that, but he would have to create another updated revision to his tr4 file.

This has nothing to do with people downloading files or such. It has to do with the appearance of constantly fixing a game that maybe should have had better beta testing.

Ranpyon does NOT have to do anything. I don't think he should as I stated that most players will never encounter this issue.

-----------
Also, if you are referring to the stupid dropbox issue, that is a problem with dropbox harassment in my part of the world, and not yours. I download lots of stuff like you do, but dropbox has been acting up lately----other sites don't.

Ranpyon

Post by Ranpyon » 01 May 2019 11:26

Thanks TombTitan for your suggestion.
Anyway, as I am the author I have to fix this (in fact I'm doing it with a flipmap, a door with toggle opacity), but I don't know if I will contact the hosts for changing the hosted file again, just because I don't want to disturb them anymore. Maybe in the future (also because it will be possible that something else to fix could show up, I can't ask hosts to change the file every time I make a single change).
P.S: I'm a girl :daisy:
Last edited by Ranpyon on 01 May 2019 11:54, edited 2 times in total.